• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Frustrating First Drive This Year. Anti Lock-TCS Light On

Just got the car out today for the first drive of the year since last Oct and have a couple codes it seems to be throwing. It started right up no problem let it warm up and a soon as I drove out the driveway my antilock light came on so I kept on driving and the TCS light came on also. Drove it a while and it never cleared I even tried to get the ABS to cycle by locking up the brakes but no luck. I checked all fuses not blown I had the fluid flushed a couple years back and it looks clean cleared the ECU not sure what else to look for. Also as soon as I shut the car off and restart it both Anti and TCS are off but as soon as I drive away the Anti comes on then the TCS comes on any thought anyone as where to look from here. Had the NSX for 8 years and never had a problem with this before.

Last edited:
The problem you are having is most likely a wheel speed sensor. The WSS's are common to both systems. There is a wheel speed sensor at each wheel. If it is a rear sensor the symptom will be that the first time you move forward, just before the lights come on, you will get a throttle hesitation in the first few seconds. If it is a front sensor, you will feel nothing, but you will get both lights.

When you pull the codes you will get a 41,42,44, or 48. They are RF, LF, RR, LR respectively. I have typically found if you get the code, the sensor is bad, just change it out.

HTH,
LarryB

Larry, Took it in today to get a scan for a code and it came up #48 for the left rear. They didn't have one on hand but I had them check that one anyway and all the other ones and they seem to have good resistance. Question is even if it's a bad one will it still have good resistance and trust the code number it's throwing? I went and ordered the left rear anyway to see if that will cure the problem.

Good luck, Steven. Hate to see you have these kinds of issues, especially so early in the season.

my car is throwing just the TCS light on...the code came up as 44 (right rear), i changed out that right rear sensor but the TCS light still flips on even after i've reset it. The manual tells me to check all the wiring which is good, the next step is to see if it is the TCS control unit itself. Do you think that could be a possibility?

Good luck, Steven. Hate to see you have these kinds of issues, especially so early in the season.

Thanks Shawn...hope the sensor does the job, only 5 weeks until the first track day. I guess I can track it with no ABS and who wants traction control anyway :biggrin:.

What Larry said. I had the EXACT same symptom on my '92 3yrs ago and it was a wheel sensor. Larry dx'd it for me!

The sensor should be here Thursday will let you know if it cures the problem.

my car is throwing just the TCS light on...the code came up as 44 (right rear), i changed out that right rear sensor but the TCS light still flips on even after i've reset it. The manual tells me to check all the wiring which is good, the next step is to see if it is the TCS control unit itself. Do you think that could be a possibility?

OK, this is quite different from the original problem described above. Since you are NOT getting the ABS light also, it CANNOT be the sensor, since it is common to both systems. The wheel speed sensors are wired in a way that the wheel speed sensor signals come THROUGH the ABS computer and are then fed to the TCS computer. It sounds like a wiring issue between the ABS and TCS systems.

HTH,
LarryB

OK, thanks Larry! I've already checked the wiring to the ABS unit just like the manual said, next step is to check the wiring to the TCS unit...hopefully i find the faulty wire somewhere, thanks again.

My TCS light came on shortly after I put new wheels and tires on. I stopped and restarted the car and it has never happened again. Could the new wheel size (17/18) have caused the TCS light to come on?

i have read in the nsx manuals that the tcs detects wheel changes as well as alignment being out of whack, so yes, the 17/18 wheel change will have the tcs to flip on.

for my case, i know that i have to check the wiring though, which is a pain in the ass!

My TCS light came on shortly after I put new wheels and tires on. I stopped and restarted the car and it has never happened again. Could the new wheel size (17/18) have caused the TCS light to come on?

First of all, there are a few "TCS" lights. Do you mean the Green "Activation" light, or the Yellow "Failure light"??

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
Looks like you were right Larry...just installed the sensor and took it for a spin and no Anti or TCS light. Changing it out was pretty simple here are a couple shots for anyone who's interested. It was nice the new sensor came with new brackets BTW. I owe you a couple beers Larry:biggrin:.

Last edited:
hmmm.... funny coz this happened to me also but i kept driving the car and some how after driving through a rain storm the code went away...
i was thinking could it be that the sensors are dirty?

How much were the new sensors? and where did you get them? for future reference. thks

The rear listed at $169.95 but most vendors sell them at $110 shipped.

Back