• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Full Synthetic or Conv Motor Oil

i change my nsx oil every 10k miles
:eek:

I think it's more important to follow Honda's recommendations on change intervals (7500 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first), than it is to use synthetic oil. Better still is to do both. But I would never, never, never extend my oil change intervals beyond those of the car's manufacturer. And most of the oil manufacturers advise the same.

Yes and yes.

Not only would I never extend my car's oil change interval beyond the manufacturer's recommendation, but I would never never NEVER consider buying a used car whose owner thought that was okay.

have u opened ur engine and sent ur oil for analysis?

who do you send it to and how much does it cost?

I just bought an S10 with 100,000 miles.

is it ok to switch to synthetic at this point...or would it be a waste of money since has so many miles already?

Last edited:
who do you send it to and how much does it cost?
Google "oil analysis" and you'll find places that do it. For example, Blackstone Labs charges $25.

I just bought an S10 with 100,000 miles.

is it ok to switch to synthetic at this point...or would it be a waste of money since has so many miles already?
It's fine to switch. And you will then enjoy the benefits of synthetic - better resistance to breakdown when hot, and better flow characteristics when cold.

Hey guys,

I thought I would chime in on this, since it's a very good thread with very good information. I am pretty big on what oils to use for motor, gear, and diffs. This definitely got my attention. I plan on using Redline 10w30 on my NSX and that has been what the previous owner has used since he's owned it. I've used Redline in a lot of my cars and prefer to almost anything, except for Motul. I only ran Motul when I owned my Lamborghini and found that it handled the stress of the track better than Redline and Mobil 1. I've ran Castrol 10w60 in my M cars and found that it did a good job on the track as well, but I honestly think that Redline is a better oil than Castrol. In the end, all of these oils are very good, but I personally choose Redline and Motul as my top two.

I will be checking to see what is recommended for gear and diff oil, since I saw a post from someone saying not to use Redline for either of those. Anyway, I just wanted to try and contribute. And not to come to the party empty handed, here is what I brought. Please take it with a grain of salt. I agree with a lot of what this guy says, but not necessarily everything.

http://members.rennlist.com/oil/Motor Oil 101.htm

Last edited:
Back