• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Future hybrid system?

I was in the grocery store thumbing through an auto mag. I think it was Car and Driver, and I read something that made me think of Takeo Fukui's quote on the on Next NSX: that No Rival Exists?

There was a short article on the new Mitsubishi Eclipse. It made mention of the prototypes 260+ hp engine and its 200hp electric system. (dont quote me on the exact numbers) I was just thinking to myself, man.. if Mitsubishi can put create a system like that, just think of the systems that Honda must have. I thought that if perhaps Honda could build the next NSX in a sub 2900 lb platform with a 350+ 3.5 liter V6 and a 200+hp electric system, I think that would be a VERY sweet car to which no rival would exist. With Electric motors giving 100% of their peak torque at 0 rpm, could you imagine how this car would perform? Heck, if the current NSX-R can run a sub 13 second 1/2 mile with its 3.2 engine. Imagine what an extra .3 liters and 200hp and instant torque would do. I cant WAIT to see if this is in fact what the next car will be.

Do you think this is the route they are thinking?

Although I replied to another thread with this comment, I think it has relevance here as well:

I owned an Insight for a year and I can tell you that it is an amazing car! It does many things well, but it does others poorly. If I were out on the freeway hard on the throttle I would desimate the charge in the batteries in a matter of minutes. But around town with ample opportunities to brake and downshift to recharge the batteries the car was awesome!

Perhaps a track situation would provide enough braking and downshifting opportunities to properly regenerate battery power, but those long trips down the interstate? Hardly! Getting on the throttle with empty batteries would be akin to taking on a race with your NO2 bottle empty (although I don't have one, you get my drift), there's plenty of power, but not what you would prefer.

The electric motor does wonders for fuel efficiency and for extra power for their 1L 3 cyl. engine. But that extra energy can be quickly sapped without the right road conditions to recharge the batteries!

I guess Honda just doesn't want us to take on any street racers after our batteries are drained.

Back