• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gen1 NSX VIN Sticker Location Guide

I've been looking for a comprehensive VIN sticker location guide, but haven't been able to find one. A few threads I found with some info, but were not comprehensive: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

So I'm hoping that this thread can become that VIN sticker location guide that I wasn't able to find. If anybody has a more comprehensive source that I missed, happy to delete this thread. Mods, if this thread is better located somewhere else please feel free to move it.

Which panels / where the stickers are located seems to vary by year. Hopefully this guide helps to inform buyers and sellers about what their cars should and should not have for VIN stickers, and whether or not a missing sticker is cause for concern. My focus here is mainly on body panels, not engine/trans or other parts. I'd be happy to add those if someone can provide the info.

Please reply with any new / additional information and I'll edit this post with updates. I've used the link posts above to try to narrow down the years / sticker locations, as well as auction photos from BringATrailer for examples.

Click on each location for the relevant photo.

1991-1999: The dash VIN plate, driver door jamb and rear bulkhead are the only VIN stickers on the car.

1. Public VIN plate, on dash under windshield
2. Federal Sticker, on driver door jamb
3. Rear bulkhead, behind engine

2000-2001: Adds VIN stickers for all major exterior body panels, but not the front/rear bumper covers.

1. Hood
2. Front driver fender
3. Front passenger fender
4. Driver door
5. Passenger door
6. Rear driver quarter panel
7. Rear passenger quarter panel
8. Trunk lid
9. Front Bumper Cover (without VIN tab that was added in 2002)

2002+: Adds VIN stickers for the front and rear bumper covers, plus all previous VIN sticker locations.

1. Front bumper cover (VIN tab added in 2002)
2. Rear bumper cover (VIN tab added in 2002)

Last edited:
Thanks for collecting all this info in one place. I've always wondered about the VIN locations but never looked into it to this level.

I'll add some info for early JDM cars here as well since the chassis ID system isn't the same as the VIN system and post pics of the chassis ID locations once I have the chance to go around the car and get good ones. Basically, one tag on the front upper radiator support, one on each door sill plaque, and one on the rear engine bulkhead. I'm not sure if there's one under the windshield but mine's probably been replaced and might not have the transparent window to see underneath. No door jamb stickers with that info either.

[MENTION=33436]jimmy-buffett[/MENTION] thanks for this- what a great and helpful post!

Very useful; thanks!

FYI The rear bumper cover VIN sticker (apparently only used on 2002 and later cars) is easily visible if you look up through the opening above the license plate.

Here's a video I did today for my 2005 (selling on BaT), showing all ten locations.

Last edited:
Back