• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gentlemen, Please hold your jaws

so its still a manual with clutch but just a sequential shifter?

i still like my regular shifter style :biggrin:

All that thing does is make lineal what was our H pattern.Still have your stock everything else.

Can do... If I was still in San Diego, Ill let you drive it:biggrin: :biggrin:

Are you in the Navy/Marine Corps? I might be going back to Pensacola sometime this year.

On a related note, has anyone stateside ever done a true sequential transmission on an NSX?

It's not a sequential gearbox. It's a sequential shifter. It's still an NSX gearbox.

Here's an old vid (I think it's about two years old) of an NSX install.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xh9Wrm2iHho&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xh9Wrm2iHho&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That's how you shift with the sequential shifter? I don't see the benefit. Can someone explain?

niM

It is an in-line pattern, not a classic "H" pattern, that mimics the sequential shifter in a racing car.

The benefit? I guess it's just kinda cool is all.

That's how you shift with the sequential shifter? I don't see the benefit. Can someone explain?

niM

I can't explain but it reminds me of playing the Initial D arcade game and that "up/down" motion made me lose... so much more difficult. But if you got good at it, I'm sure It'll make shifting easier.

To be honest I've seen some pretty worthless do-dads in cars, that ranks right near the top of the list. :rolleyes:

lol

cool mod, the throw is really LONG.

not the sequential shifters im use to but again, its not a sequential gear box. :wink:

Definately has the novelty factor...

Seems to have two quite loud "clicks" per shift that select each gate then gear. Looks like a great way to grind your synchros when shifting fast.

I'm pretty sure it's potential is slower than a properly-shifted H-pattern:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLwa1HXKDsI&feature=channel_page

...but it may be easier for those who aren't good at shifting (unless they get confused about what gear they are in -which is common for those new to 'sequential'-type shift levers).

completly offtopic but i had in my EG9-R the exactly same wheel model as it is in that Factor X NSX.... :biggrin::biggrin:

about the shift speed.... i think i'm so used to the manual and i do some really really fast shifts in my NSX, that i think only a true sequential gearbox would be faster....

nonetheless i love the Ikeya Formula product for it's engineering :wink:

Seems to have two quite loud "clicks" per shift that select each gate then gear. Looks like a great way to grind your synchros when shifting fast.

...but it may be easier for those who aren't good at shifting (unless they get confused about what gear they are in -which is common for those new to 'sequential'-type shift levers).

i think so too. its easy to rev match and shift direct to a gear with a H pattern. also we get a lot of feedback on shifter position.

the problem i see with this setup is there is no dash display to verify which gear your in. Gota look down to tell which is not effective.

Also there are probably 2 clicks since its a mechanic device installed to run the H pattern of the stock gear box, so there is still first click to nutural and the second click in to gear. it would make rev matching no fun.

Ikeya's website showed a ~2"x4" display for what gear you were in.

The shifter's mechanism had a barrel on it (like a sequential, but on the shifter instead of in the box) to position the gates and gears -hence the double-click).

The system does have pros and cons but driving on canyons/curves, its really fun. Two clicks for for every gear but the installation must be precise otherwise, it would be a little loud when shifting. Mugen Rob and I have fix this problem by making proper adjustment to the cables. No problems in rev matching with the gear even with stock pedal covers. Close gear is installed and its really great down shifting from 3rd to 2nd with just a pus, even 4th to 3rd to 2nd. There is a gear indicator that comes with the system and I installed it where I can always see it. Plus, knowing your cars HUMMM should be a really good indicator also. Really fun on the turns. I will try to take a video on some windy road here. You guys can decide but I think this thing is fun driving specially when you know what you doing with a car like NSX. This shift pattern is not for everybody. This "can" be your pretty worthless do-dads in cars, that ranks right near on top of someones list but you wouldn't know this if you dont know about refinement and engineering. Theres plenty of crappy stuff that people add to their NSX and I wouldn't rank this this is not one of them. :cool:

It is an in-line pattern, not a classic "H" pattern, that mimics the sequential shifter in a racing car.

The benefit? I guess it's just kinda cool is all.

The other benefit is no more money shift from 5th to 2nd.:biggrin:

The system does have pros and cons but driving on canyons/curves, its really fun. Two clicks for for every gear but the installation must be precise otherwise, it would be a little loud when shifting. Mugen Rob and I have fix this problem by making proper adjustment to the cables. No problems in rev matching with the gear even with stock pedal covers. Close gear is installed and its really great down shifting from 3rd to 2nd with just a pus, even 4th to 3rd to 2nd. There is a gear indicator that comes with the system and I installed it where I can always see it. Plus, knowing your cars HUMMM should be a really good indicator also. Really fun on the turns. I will try to take a video on some windy road here. You guys can decide but I think this thing is fun driving specially when you know what you doing with a car like NSX. This shift pattern is not for everybody. This "can" be your pretty worthless do-dads in cars, that ranks right near on top of someones list but you wouldn't know this if you dont know about refinement and engineering. Theres plenty of crappy stuff that people add to their NSX and I wouldn't rank this this is not one of them. :cool:

Well put Jack, I was happy to make the brackets and install it and make everything work, and driving it is such a blast, I would rather have that than the H pattern. That funky do-dad in your car ranks #1 crazy wtf:D

BTW: when I get home, we'll make a good video of the sequential, got a new camera toy.

Last edited:
The other benefit is no more money shift from 5th to 2nd.:biggrin:

yea but it adds another money-shift by going from 5th straight into reverse at 80mph if you are not careful! :eek::redface: lol

yea but it adds another money-shift by going from 5th straight into reverse at 80mph if you are not careful! :eek::redface: lol

Can't happen, from 5th it goes straight to neutral, in order to get into reverse u have to be in neutral and pull the side lever back then shift up into Reverse, its an awesome safety switch.

Can't happen, from 5th it goes straight to neutral, in order to get into reverse u have to be in neutral and pull the side lever back then shift up into Reverse, its an awesome safety switch.

Then why does everyone say "dont shift past 5th!" ????

Agreed. One of the best things about the H pattern is always knowing what gear you're in (the position of the shifter is a very clear indicator). I don't see enough (if any) benefit here to justify that trade off, much less any related cost ($$).

car wont let you go in the reverse. :tongue:

it will grind. save you guys the story :smile:

regardless of what the shifter feels like, it looks awesome.

im jealous.

any pictures of the gear indicator? would love to see it.

Last edited:
Back