• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Get some air.....

Nice gains. I'm on the other side of the fence though, I actually like the stock airbox. That said, it's fairly obvious in theory this would be a better performing setup than the stock version.

To be very frank though, it'd help a lot if you could post up the actual dyno...oh, and offer a ceramic coating or DEI thermal wrap option as well.

Nice gains. I'm on the other side of the fence though, I actually like the stock airbox. That said, it's fairly obvious in theory this would be a better performing setup than the stock version.

To be very frank though, it'd help a lot if you could post up the actual dyno...oh, and offer a ceramic coating or DEI thermal wrap option as well.

I can get them ceramic coated its not a problem. Just need to specify upon request.

Heres the pics that everyones been asking about for so long.

moto0246pj9.jpg

moto0242gw3.jpg

moto0244ut3.jpg

Place your orders!!!!!! :tongue:

I am curious, did you remove the wheel and fender liner there to do the installation, or did you have the filter components already installed, and just swapped out the top end parts (airbox for tube)?

Also, was the stock airbox run made using the resonator, or with just an open fender?

I am curious, did you remove the wheel and fender liner there to do the installation, or did you have the filter components already installed, and just swapped out the top end parts (airbox for tube)?

Also, was the stock airbox run made using the resonator, or with just an open fender?

I just swapped the airbox and filter and the snorkel was not used. If anything it would have made my numbers show even more of an improvment!

What is ver 2.0 going to have? Please excuse my lack of knowledge (new owner) but does this fit 3.2 applications? Do you have any videos for sound? How would this CAI work with the big bore throttle body?

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
What is ver 2.0 going to have? Please excuse my lack of knowledge (new owner) but does this fit 3.2 applications? Do you have any videos for sound? How would this CIA work with the big bore throttle body?

Thanks,
Chris

Yes this will fit the 3.2
I will get some audio of it up.
As long as the outside diameter of the inlet side of your TB is 3 1/8 inches or smaller this will work. If you have a larger TB than that I will have to find you a different coupler.

Yes this will fit the 3.2
I will get some audio of it up.
As long as the outside diameter of the inlet side of your TB is 3 1/8 inches or smaller this will work. If you have a larger TB than that I will have to find you a different coupler.

I guess this questions should have been asked, Does it fit the Big bore throttle body from SoS? Also, what will version 2.0 have?

The flow of wind at speed around the car is irrelevant, the car is not traveling fast enough to take advantage of a "ram air" phenomenon, and even if it were, it does not have a scoop or shaped duct to induce compression.

Nicely put, John. I've been telling people this for quite sometime... the "ram" effect is negligible.

Additionally, adding insulation to the tube is also negligible.

If my calculations are correct, a 3.0L motor at WOT (~0 PSI manifold pressure) at 6000 RPM and a tubing diameter of 3 inches, the air is traveling at over 73 MPH inside the tube (317 cu. ft./minute). If the length of the tube is 20 inches, that's 188 square inches, or 1.3 square feet. The delta air temperature between inside and outside the engine compartment is just not that great while at speed and there is just not very much heat transfer between a 3 inch tube with 1.3 sq. ft. surface area of aluminum as the air travels through it at 73 MPH.

Nicely put, John. I've been telling people this for quite sometime... the "ram" effect is negligible.

Additionally, adding insulation to the tube is also negligible.

If my calculations are correct, a 3.0L motor at WOT (~0 PSI manifold pressure) at 6000 RPM and a tubing diameter of 3 inches, the air is traveling at over 73 MPH inside the tube (317 cu. ft./minute). If the length of the tube is 20 inches, that's 188 square inches, or 1.3 square feet. The delta air temperature between inside and outside the engine compartment is just not that great while at speed and there is just not very much heat transfer between a 3 inch tube with 1.3 sq. ft. surface area of aluminum as the air travels through it at 73 MPH.

:biggrin: I think what you mean in English is that external temperature should have no effect on performance? ........ Right?.......hehe

external temperature always has an effect on performance

i believe he means that the engine compartment temp shouldn't effect the temp of the air that's going into the engine with the exposed intake pipe since the air from the outside is traveling so fast into the engine.

Last edited:

i believe he means that the engine compartment temp shouldn't effect the temp of the air that's going into the engine with the exposed intake pipe since the air from the outside is traveling so fast into the engine.

Right, that's what I meant to say. Hehe

This is why I haven't bothered to try coatings yet.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xQGKOdZ0upw"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xQGKOdZ0upw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VrvYM_ceWA4"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VrvYM_ceWA4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AN3o4hjRJXo"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AN3o4hjRJXo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

With all the videos im about to upload you will have to excuse the horrible sounding exhaust. Its not loud but sounds nasty. It was for state inspection purposes only.

BTW all videos are in car. Besides the first obviously :)

Last edited:
If you notice the sound of the vtec engagement is very distinct compared to most other setups.

Would'nt adding a velocity stack to that filter or using an A'PEXi Power intake dryfilter make a difference? I dont remember if the k&n has one.

Also, looks and sounds really good, and good power gains.

Last edited:
This should make a good power gain over the stock box specially if you have the CTSC.
I have a similar setup that I fabbed myself but I used 3.5 inch tubing and the car feels better in the mid range. I was using the stock box with the uni and the scoop before.
There is def. a differance, plus I like the way it sounds now.

Back