• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Going from a ferrari 360 back to an nsx?

I've read a few threads of buyers going from an NSX to a Ferrari 360, but I'm curious if anyone knows of someone who's come back after going there? I'm kicking around the idea of a 360 and wondering if I may regret it after getting rid of my NSX after 10 years plus of ownership....

Are you able to keep both? That would of course be the ideal situation, allowing you to see if the NSX takes a major backseat to the 360 and if it should head to the land of "for sale"

I always figured that is the way I would handle my upgrade itches when the time comes.

Already doing that with a GT-R.... :) Not enough space in the garage at this point for three sports cars. And my wife has already weighed in on things which I'm conveniently ignoring at this point.

360 will hammer you with maintenance costs.....the 430 is a little easier on the wallet I've been told and they have come down in price lately.

360 will hammer you with maintenance costs.....the 430 is a little easier on the wallet I've been told and they have come down in price lately.

There's a huge difference in pricing between a clean 360 and 430.... From what I've ready I'm not concerned about the maintenance being something hammers me. There's other issues with the 430 that could make someone's head spin when comparing to 360 ownership.

Been reading about header issues. Either way even if cost of ownership is less than a 360, there is just no getting over a $40000 jump between models...

There's a huge difference in pricing between a clean 360 and 430.... From what I've ready I'm not concerned about the maintenance being something hammers me. There's other issues with the 430 that could make someone's head spin when comparing to 360 ownership.

Yeah, like what? I've read it's much better with the timing chain vs belt.

I am well aware if the belts vs chain, but I can do at least ten belt services for the 360 with how much less they cost over the 430.

Anyways, back to addressing my original question. Anyone ever come back after going to a 360 that anyone is aware of?

I have an F355 Challenge and a CTSC NSX with a high boost pulley and water/meth. The cars are much closer than you might think. Very close in power with the NSX having about the same on the bottom end but the F355 appears to have more up top. Handling would go to the Challenge (it is a former race car), steering feel also goes to the F355. The NSX has a nicer quality interior and the car is a more comfortable cruiser. Could I choose between them? I hope that time never comes because I don't honestly know which one I would part with.

I've read a few threads of buyers going from an NSX to a Ferrari 360, but I'm curious if anyone knows of someone who's come back after going there? I'm kicking around the idea of a 360 and wondering if I may regret it after getting rid of my NSX after 10 years plus of ownership....

YOU really live in Michigan and have owned an NSX for ten + years?

Little over Ten years I think. I keep a low profile. :)

Indeed, I guess you do :smile: For no one I know of knows you. Maybe that's a good thing, as I keep dubious company :wink:

No 360 experience here. But 430 does keep my eye. Proper 3 pedal car only, that is. Underwhelmed by F's F1 trans niggling problems and repair costs.
Eh, FWIW. . . Best of whatever you decide.

I owned a 360 for prior to the NSX. same year -2004. The NSX is EONS ahead in terms of reliability, fit and finish. It is a better handler and a much more solid build. The radio and AC actually work. The 360 was never reliable. It had several electrical problems that could never be solved. I only miss the sound and instant celebrity wherever you go. I am glad now to have an NSX.

I owned a 360 for prior to the NSX. same year -2004. The NSX is EONS ahead in terms of reliability, fit and finish. It is a better handler and a much more solid build. The radio and AC actually work. The 360 was never reliable. It had several electrical problems that could never be solved. I only miss the sound and instant celebrity wherever you go. I am glad now to have an NSX.

You might be the first person I've heard that's gone that direction.... In a perfect world and with no wife I would keep my NSX and GTR and and add the 360... but I already dread the registration fees and insurance every year with two cars. The well is only so deep when it comes to finances. The 360 has been a dream car for me ever since it came out, it's just now that with how much they've depreciated that I could realize ownership and outside of cost of running, not realize much of a loss once I sell it. I'm already seeing that with my NSX, I was thinking mine would be worth less than I was planning on selling it at, but it seems to have not lost much value during my ownership.

The guy that I bought my NSX from has seen it both ways. He had a NA1 then sold it for a 360. The 360 was eating him alive in maintainance ($15K for an engine rebuild) so he sold it at a loss and bought the 2002 NSX that I now own. He bought an Aston Martin Vantage to replace it but 6 months later wanted to buy my NSX back :D

The guy that I bought my NSX from has seen it both ways. He had a NA1 then sold it for a 360. The 360 was eating him alive in maintainance ($15K for an engine rebuild) so he sold it at a loss and bought the 2002 NSX that I now own. He bought an Aston Martin Vantage to replace it but 6 months later wanted to buy my NSX back :D

routine maintenance and an engine rebuild are two different things... I'd be curious the story behind the rebuild as in why did it blow? I know this board is biased towards the NSX and that's all well and good, but my research on the 360 is that's it's a pretty reliable car so long as it's driven and not let to rot. I will say I question the fragility compared to the NSX as I was able to see one up close recently, but the seat time in it seemed to be more exhilarating than my NSX, and mine is set up to run a track moreso than a public road. Maybe it's just something a man must go through at some point in his life... there clearly is a reason people buy ferrari's outside of the name, they have to be doing something right with regards to the driving experience.

LOL... He just didn't learn did he....

these threads always make me feel better about not doing a real financial stretch and getting a ferrari.i'm not wealthy ,and huge unexpected maintenance or repairs would not make me happy.the nsx is more than a garden variety acura to keep going,but by any account a hell of a lot less than a 360 or a 430.

Dan, you didn't do anything foolish, did ya???
No, just trying to put a reference point on the $15,000 engine rebuild on a Ferrari. Fortunately, I remained largely uninformed on the costs of "major" vehicular issues.

bngl3rt said:
SoS's most basic rebuild package is ~$5700 not including the labor to remove and reinstall the engine.
Thanks, so just shy of 1/3 the cost of the Ferrari. That is substantial.

You might be the first person I've heard that's gone that direction.... In a perfect world and with no wife I would keep my NSX and GTR and and add the 360... but I already dread the registration fees and insurance every year with two cars. The well is only so deep when it comes to finances. The 360 has been a dream car for me ever since it came out, it's just now that with how much they've depreciated that I could realize ownership and outside of cost of running, not realize much of a loss once I sell it. I'm already seeing that with my NSX, I was thinking mine would be worth less than I was planning on selling it at, but it seems to have not lost much value during my ownership.
I thought that way also when I took the plunge for the 360. But I too had to face the prospect of an engine rebuild and 2+ months spent in the shop over the summer. It aint worth it if you really want to drive it and put miles on it. There's a reason why the engine is under glass. It's meant to be admired like a piece of art, but not to be driven mile after mile. If you really want a 360, get 2. One can be driven and enjoyed while the other is in the shop!

Back