• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Good bye and thank you

Today I traded my NSX so my wife can have the car of her choice, a 2011 TL. I had to face facts: it was a garage queen. I averaged fewer that 1700 miles a year. I live on an island with almost nowhere to let it out. Add to that the fact that I live on the 1st hole of a golf course and only had a very short drive to get to the clubhouse. Most places the speed limit is 35 and the top is 45. It just ceased to be fun.

I got 52% of what I paid for it 13 years ago and a great price for the TL including butler and concierge service - we live 85 miles from the dealer.

Thank you all for you help with all my questions and for all the useful and interesting information you provided on a daily basis. I made few posts but read many.

Best wishes to you all!

Tom :smile:

I totally understand where you are coming from. I recently came very close to trading/selling mine for the very same reason. I didn't get rid of it but probably will here very soon as we are looking at upgrading our housing situation(bigger house) and the $$ I get from that sale would be a nice down payment.
I might add, I think that is a VERY thoughtful and considerate thing to do.
Best of luck to you and yours in the future.

Feel ya EAC but if it came down to the wifey and the NSX I would choose the wife. I hope to never get rid of the NSX, but never know.

well the first thing I would do is paint the front the same color as the car.

it looks out of place look at the front you will know what im talking about

and watch getting in the rear doors as the sharp edge of the window will rip the skin off your face. LOL trust me I know

other than that its a great car. what model did you get the technology package/AWD . or the standard?

your NSX will miss you but YOU will MISS your NSX more. and kick yourself in a few years.

how much did they give you on trade for it?

you said 52% what your paid for it? whats the actual number?

Last edited:
paid $46,900 in early '98, got $24500 - orig. dealer threw in CD changer but only mods I did were $400 - powder coated the calipers

got the standard TL, and paid the balance on AmEx for the miles :tongue:

have a demo until they locate what my wife wanted; when they locate it, they'll deliver it to our house

now she has 2 cars and I have one, the MDX

but I have the club membership :tongue::tongue:

well the first thing I would do is paint the front the same color as the car.

it looks out of place look at the front you will know what im talking about

and watch getting in the rear doors as the sharp edge of the window will rip the skin off your face. LOL trust me I know

other than that its a great car. what model did you get the technology package/AWD . or the standard?

your NSX will miss you but YOU will MISS your NSX more. and kick yourself in a few years.

how much did they give you on trade for it?

you said 52% what your paid for it? whats the actual number?

Feel ya EAC but if it came down to the wifey and the NSX I would choose the wife. I hope to never get rid of the NSX, but never know.

I know, and I agree. But still, dang women! :biggrin:

Today I traded my NSX so my wife can have the car of her choice, a 2011 TL. I had to face facts: it was a garage queen. I averaged fewer that 1700 miles a year. I live on an island with almost nowhere to let it out. Add to that the fact that I live on the 1st hole of a golf course and only had a very short drive to get to the clubhouse. Most places the speed limit is 35 and the top is 45. It just ceased to be fun.

I got 52% of what I paid for it 13 years ago and a great price for the TL including butler and concierge service - we live 85 miles from the dealer.

Thank you all for you help with all my questions and for all the useful and interesting information you provided on a daily basis. I made few posts but read many.

Best wishes to you all!

Tom :smile:

TOM, you describe torture. Not driving your NSX anywhere near its capabilities for months on end. I'm not sure I could live on an island. Enjoyed reading your exit write-up and certainly the re-sale value of our NSX's is always a point of interest. I share your sentiments on the useful and interesting info on Prime. Best of everything to you and your TL fan wifey. :cool:

Thank you. If you lived here, the quality of life would outweigh not having a decent place to enjoy an NSX. When I lived in DC and dealt with all the DC b.s. and the overpopulation or if I just was having a bad day, an accelerating drive in the NSX made it all go away. Now a 100' walk from your car to a doctor's office or good restaurant is deemed excessive. It's all what you get used to. Btw, on the way to the dealer today, I blew thru radar 12 over :redface: and got away with a warning :biggrin: A fitting end to the ownership!

TOM, you describe torture. Not driving your NSX anywhere near its capabilities for months on end. I'm not sure I could live on an island. Enjoyed reading your exit write-up and certainly the re-sale value of our NSX's is always a point of interest. I share your sentiments on the useful and interesting info on Prime. Best of everything to you and your TL fan wifey. :cool:

Best Regards...At the very least, you still got a Honda in the family...

Congrats on the new addition and I hope that my wife understands just how much my NSX means to me (when I get a wife that is) until then it is me and my NSX. I might even pick up another...once I can, just to be ridiculous.

I think that you did a very incredible thing giving up the "X" for the lady in your life. Now go out and get an S2000 so you can still have fun.

can't remember exactly but under 58,000. They always say there are 3 lies in this world: lies, damned lies and statistics. The statistic I point to is how little it depreciated in 13 years. I think that speaks to the value of NSX ownership.

WOW!! How many miles were on it when you traded it in?

No doubt you're right, but the lack of domestic bliss can depreciate your assets MUCH faster than a TL ever will. Ask me how much it cost to buy back my house, cars and other possessions from my first wife:frown:

i wish you luck, but i have to say....that TL will depreciate like crazy, very fast.

Best wishes Tom - even with the low annual miles, you no doubt enjoyed all 13 years of ownership. I too live on a golf course, and am 1/8 mile away from the club (so I rarely drive there) - my commute to work is too hellish to enjoy even in the NSX; so my driving of her mostly consists of weekend jaunts here and there. Still, its been a real pleasure to have her over the past year.

Sounds like a beautiful place to live - enjoy the golf (aka; "a good walk spoiled".... :smile: ) and thanks for the exit note. Jay

Tom,

I know the feeling all to well but life changes and you adapt. Congrats on the new TL, great cars. Any more details? AWD, 6 speed, Tech?

No, she just wanted the standard package.:biggrin: Actually she wanted a 370Z but we haven't had anything but a Honda product since the late 1980s, so I talked her out of that, and I was afraid it would be another garage queen. Her 2004 TSX looks like it came off the showroom floor. Besides, an NSX is DISTINCTIVE. The 370 is somewhat ordinary IMHO.

Tom,

I know the feeling all to well but life changes and you adapt. Congrats on the new TL, great cars. Any more details? AWD, 6 speed, Tech?

Well maybe the new owner will join here and carry on with the rest of us. 13 years is a long ownership, probably more than most of us will see. Good luck.:smile:

not too bad, actually...

So, let's break it down! :D

FWIW, so there was a '94 NSX 5spd. w/ <58k miles and a clean title/history along w/ up-to-date maint'/service that was traded-in for $24,500 + $1,715 [7%'] (GA sales-tax tade'in allowance towards TL's sales-tax; this % varies county-to-county), thus $26,215 valuation for the NSX in-question.

That's truly not too bad when considering the NSX was traded-in (generally, dealers will offer 1/4 to 1/3 less than private-sale value on NSX trade'ins). In the private-sale market, an identical NSX would be listed for ~$30k asking-price (+/- $1.5k) & actual selling-price would be ~$27.5k (+/- $1.5k).

Worth noting: avg. miles for '94 NSX would be 85k (5k miles/year)

Also worth mentioning that it's a give-&-take, in that what a dealer may offer on a trade'in can be factored into how much concession they've extended on the new-vehicle deal. Brand-new 'base' TLs currently have "Conquest" customer-cash for $750 (01/05/2011 02/28/2011) and back-end/factory-to-dealer incentives, namely "marketing cash/support" for $1.5k (01/05/2011 02/28/2011), which in the past was up to $3.5k (for '10 models)!

Reference:

2011 'base' TL (5spd. A.T.)
MSRP: $36,165
Invoice: $33,717
"Conquest" consumer-cash: -$750
Marketing-Support: -$1,500

($860 destination-charge included in MSRP/Invoice)

Generally speaking, discounting/negotiating is quite robust (relatively speaking) even on the '11 TLs aside from the aforementioned incentives due to mid-model-change (MMC) '12 TL forthcoming early'ish mid-year 2011 (late spring?).

Best of luck beyond NSX-ownership & we all await your return! :p

BTW, neat avatar of the Nittany lion at State College! :cool:

Last edited:
No, she just wanted the standard package.:biggrin: Actually she wanted a 370Z but we haven't had anything but a Honda product since the late 1980s, so I talked her out of that, and I was afraid it would be another garage queen. Her 2004 TSX looks like it came off the showroom floor. Besides, an NSX is DISTINCTIVE. The 370 is somewhat ordinary IMHO.

I'm sorry for your loss; when the choice comes down to just the basic facts and reason for owning a sports car - which by the way is to have fun driving it I think, and if your on an island well you can't do much of that.
So I know you'll be sorry to give up your sports car and should have at least bought the TL S....:wink: Then you could have had a little fun too when you got to drive it that is. Oh well.

I do have a curiousity here - it seems to me that a well maintained NSX 94 with 58k miles on it would be worth more than 24,500??? Which begs the question as to why you didn't choose to sell the car yourself - but maybe there are not many opportunities where you live. I'm sorry to hear that but maybe the deal you got made it worth it.

Good luck to you but I believe like Shawn that you will miss the sports car experience. Maybe one day you'll jump in again! All the best!

Last edited:
All good questions from Osiris and you. I just don't have the time to sell the car, and I definitely don't have the patience. And, I've learned the hard way to never sell a car to a friend or even an acquaintance. I had a number in mind when I drove there, and the figure quoted to me was even better. They knew I bought 5 Acuras from another dealer and they wanted my business and told me so. The other dealer is 650 miles away and offered to sell it to me, delivered to my door, for $300 less than I paid. But he was way too far away to offer concierge and butler service. (Remember, it's 1:15 to the dealer here if I speed all the way, and then the trip back to pick it up. Even with a loaner, it's 340 miles for an overnight repair!) And the trade with the former dealer was up in the air. They deeply discounted the extended warranty which I ALWAYS buy. (I was even, money-wise/covered repairs, on my MDX when the transmission went 1 month before the extended warranty was up. That's like making a 4/10 on the craps table :biggrin:) And, with an extended warranty, dealers always seem to find covered things wrong with my cars.:biggrin: All things considered, it was a fair price. I disclosed to them everything I knew that was wrong with it including needing the CCS fixed. Fortunately, through Prime and [email protected], I convinced them he could fix it for them for $145. I don't know what their in-house cost would be but they wanted his info. Another crap shoot - what if it wasn't easily fixable? Big bucks for me.

A long story short, it just worked for me.

(QUOTE=tbromley;1389159]I'm sorry for your loss; when the choice comes down to just the basic facts and reason for owning a sports car - which by the way is to have fun driving it I think, and if your on an island well you can't do much of that.
So I know you'll be sorry to give up your sports car and should have at least bought the TL S....:wink: Then you could have had a little fun too when you got to drive it that is. Oh well.

I do have a curiousity here - it seems to me that a well maintained NSX 94 with 58k miles on it would be worth more than 24,500??? Which begs the question as to why you didn't choose to sell the car yourself - but maybe there are not many opportunities where you live. I'm sorry to hear that but maybe the deal you got made it worth it.

Good luck to you but I believe like Shawn that you will miss the sports car experience. Maybe one day you'll jump in again! All the best![/QUOTE]

Back