• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GoPro Hero2 Wind Noise

I will be participating in an NSX parade lap at the Toronto Indy on Sunday. I will bring my GoPro but it picks up way too much wind noise. I mount it in my cabin but with the targa top off. Anyone have a solution?

U need a dead cat on top of your go pro mic.

I should check if one of mine fits on top of my go pro. If so you can borrow it.

or you can just use the sealed, non-skeleton back panel which will eliminate all wind noise and muffle engine noise. Both windows were down during this video.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=170540053117760" width="1280" height="720" frameborder="0"></iframe>

guys is there a decent wired remote mic out there that would work? I'd like to for example mount the camera inside my car and have the mike in the engine bay of above the rear exhaust.

A bit off topic but I have been working on making a 4 channel recorder that can work on 4 cameras placed in various places with 4 seperate microphone input in various places that can also display your video in a single or 4 channel configuration on the nav pod. So you would have 4 different views and sounds from the same run/drive you can then sit and edit into one video, or show "windows". The default camera would show rear view on the navpod, and switch to the right or left cam when you engage a turn signal when you engage the "street" switch instead of the "track" switch. It can use up to 8 cameras but can only record 4 at a time. So you can have a different "track" cam setup and a different "street" cam setup. It actually replaces the rear view and side view mirrors, they are just redundant.

The issue I'm having is that on a DVR setup you are limited to the true max resolution analog NTSC allows, which is under 500 lines. NVR's are pricey and they don't use cameras proper for this work. What is really good is SDI-HD (SDI= serial digital interface) which is broadcast quality cameras and signal transmission, that is 1920x1080 and higher, but it is very expensive stuff and I can't get the recorders that small. Right now I have a standard 4/8 camera DVR that is smaller than a pack of cigarettes. Control via remote and removable SD card media as well as a SATA drive.

What you have in the portable all in one devices is something little appreciated, in that because the camera is basically on top of the electronics no signal transmission is needed and so it is cheap and easy to get a minicam like the go pro and go full HD. the problem is when you try to sync multiple cams and views of the same event.

- - - Updated - - -

The solution might be to have a hybrid of one cam running at HD and 4 at SD in your "not as important" views. I personally want a permanently installed system instead of some portable.

guys is there a decent wired remote mic out there that would work? I'd like to for example mount the camera inside my car and have the mike in the engine bay of above the rear exhaust.

For that purpose u are better off picking up a zoom h1 or any other pocket $100 audio recorder and tape the mic close to the vicinity if the engine. Again u will need a deadcat on it and set the recoding level wayyyyyyyyyyy down.

Good luck with the mic in the engine bay for better engine and exhaust sound. It could have just been my mic placement, but I was really disappointed when I tried it. I picked up more road noise than anything. If you have success share your set up and I'll give it another try.

Last edited:
Are you using the right back plate. Mine came with 2 one for high speed and one thats water proof. I have a the Hero tho not the Hero 2

Are you using the right back plate. Mine came with 2 one for high speed and one thats water proof. I have a the Hero tho not the Hero 2
My Hero3 Black edition w/LCD touch backpack came with 3 back door options; touch, standard (sealed) & skeleton. I've been using the sealed one but I think I'll try the touch screen one to see if it might pick up more engine noise.

Prior the the GoPro I had a Replay XDHD which I really liked but even with the remote mic, it picked up too much wind noise.

I picked this up today but the position in the following pic did not work. Too much wind noise starting around 50 mph.

qujy9a7u.jpg

Wish I knew a way to run an extension to the engine hatch. I think the dead air space would help.

Veho Muvi HD npng vs GoPro 2:
<iframe width="492" height="277" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xzOn-M3ryxo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
Veho Muvi HD npng:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5SqP4F2Z5cM?list=UUkPMZcBE4yt_-ER6MM34ZtQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

GoPro 3 Black Edition VS Veho Muvi HD npng
Both of these come with remotes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DlR3cJg5KSQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Not that I am a gopro fan, as I think they are waaaay overpriced but that comparison in the last video doesn't look right. The Muvi is 16:9 widescreen but the gopro isn't?

I liked the Muvi easily over GoPro2 but the Black Edition blows both out of the water visually.
I had both mounted sidexside on driver's window. The Muvi 2me had better sound, but thats it.
They both have remotes. The black edition remote tends to go dead quicker but plugs up to usb for recharging.
I hadn't had any battery issues with the Muvi remote.

I say GoPro BLACK EDITON if you have the budget but you will be very happy with the Muvi and spend less.

(be sure to turn settings up on video for true resolution)

Last edited:
Can you turn on multiple cameras with one remote press? or are they running on individual codes?

Can you turn on multiple cameras with one remote press? or are they running on individual codes?
Utilizing WiFi that is probably possible, as far as indivdiual codes, I doubt it.

[h=1]How to Pair Your HERO3 Camera and Wi-Fi Remote[/h]http://gopro.com/support/articles/how-to-pair-your-hero3-wi-fi-remote

Wow, your NSX Screams! :eek:

I am giving up on the multi-cam DVR permanent install for now. It's too early. we are a year away from good broadcast quality HD-SDI stuff.

But I have looked around at this portable stuff a lot and wanted to let you guys know I've found a real good one here, it is only $150 and from all my research it works terrific. Only catch is they are out of stock now and about to come with an even better more enhanced model:

http://www.lorextechnology.com/HD-A...a-HD-with-LCD-Screen,-waterproof/prod270003.p

active-LSC004-L4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The thing does 720P at 60FPS, that's awesome for fast motion and an incredible 170 degree viewing angle. with remote and all the mounts. Gopro would charge $500 for this.

with the GoPro you can link multiple cameras together to start and stop recording on multiple cameras at once using a smartphone or the wifi remote. I have done that several times with my friends and I on motorcycle rides all with Hero3's

Back