• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Got a new Job need advice -

Need advice. I known this group to have very intelligent mind. any comment is well appreciated. sorry its a little long.

I got a new job with a substantial raise. about 25%. Offer letter in hand. Seem to be a real comfortable place to work.. It is a smaller company. I will be the head of the dept. but also the lone ranger of the dept. also a longer commute.

My situation with current company is good. Been here 6 years came in as a member of a team and now although I'm still a member, I'm pretty much the go to guy and problem solver of the dept. Unwritten to be 2nd ranking to the supervisor. Should make supervisor in 3 years or so. He's at retirement age. There is absolutely no conflict or bad feelings with current company.

weighting the 2 company.
current - bigger company, less money, very stable. possible supervisor promotion in 3 years.
new - smaller company, 25% more money , more workload, longer drive, only guy and senior position in dept.

My question is. How would I go about giving my 2 week notice or perhaps lead my current company to match or counter offer my new offered salary? What is the best way go about it. My current company has plenty of $$. Poking around there are plenty of less skilled staff getting paid more than me. I like to stay with my current company if they would up my salary.

Excited but torned.

If you like where you are then you should stay there. I worked in an industry that I grew to dislike very much despite the fact that I made an extremely good income. Although making a sufficient and reasonable income is important, what is more important is the "emotional income" you get from your job. The thrill of more money soon wears off and you are left to face everything else the company has to offer, good or bad.

Regarding approaching your current employer to see if you can get more money from them, I would recommend against it. Having been in management for many years, whenever a current employee approached me to basically hold me ransom by saying "I'd really like to stay here as I like the company, team, location etc., but I have an offer for more money at this other company..." I always said "I wish you the best at your new employer". I never want anyone working for me just for the money. Not only do I now know that that employee has a foot out the door whether they resign or not, but if I offer him more money to keep him, I set a bad precedent for others to follow.

Whether you can appreciate it now or later in your life, you will eventually find that the emotional income you get from your work is much more valuable than the financial income.

Don't tell them you have an offer for more money... just ask them for more money. If they say no, then you know that you won't be getting a raise anytime soon and then weigh you options. At least you will know were you stand. I had a good friend that worked for a large family business and when it came time for a raise all he got was a promise, hung in there for the promise and three years later the President's son got the promise and my friend then left after waisting three years waiting for the raise and promotion that was never going to happen in the first place.

Don't know you industry, but the days of promoting from within are for the most part past especially once you get to a certain level in a large Corp. Large Corps have little loyalty to their employees so don't think you owe them any. The days of working for one Corp for you entire career are long gone, even IBM the king of "job for a lifetime" layed off thousands during 2000.

Depends what your priorities are. Management rule of thumb is if an employee comes to you hoping you'll match another offer, you let them go.

You'll never, ever, ever make the same kind of money staying as an employee with one company as you would by moving around. Hell, you could even perhaps go back to your company in a year or two with more experience and renegotiate all over, but you can't renegotiate while you're working there.

Here how it turned out.

I was upfront to my supervisor about my offer. Told him the amount and start date of my offer. He told me to wait and not turn in a resignation notice. He will talk to personel and administration.

On my very last date to turn in my 2 weeks notice. I was called in to a meeting with the CFO. We talked and settle on an amount and I will retain my vacation and bonus. Bottom line calculated to be a better income than my offer. So I'm staying at my current Job. I'm happy about it. feels good to be in demand.

That's a great turnout. I've always been told by my father to ask for what I want, no matter how crazy someone thinks it is. The worst someone can say is "no". Good for you for asking for what you want - you got it and you are happy.

You made a very good decision. I would pick the one with best retirement potential but thats just an old guy talking.

I'm praying that you got that deal in writing.

Congrats!
They saw that you're value more than they've paid you before. If only money is the problem...there's always a way to solve this. :)
What are your future mods? :D

I think the ,ost important factor in this whole decision making process is the fact that you current company is STABLE. It is all wonderful with a new job and more pay. But a year later, a smaller company can be eaten up by a larger corporation or out off business.
I have seen this with my brother a few times.
Well, you got what you wanted and honesty with your boss worked. Congrats!

Back