• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Got Through a Brain Tumor, Brain Surgery

I had a big scare last year with a brain tumor. Sudesh's story in this forum inspired me to share mine.l lost some sight, and ended up having an MRI, which showed a tumor in the ventricle area above my spinal column,where spinal fluid flows up to the base of the brain.The sight loss turned out to be unrelated,and remains, it's called an ION, but that was the cost of discovering the tumor, which was asymptomatic.
The doctors thought it was probably benign,but that word was quite deceptive in my case,because they said it could still kill or seriously injure me by blocking the flow of spinal fluid to the brain,so I had to have surgery. The operation was dangerous,though,because it was so close to the brain stem,where many basic critical functions of life are. The surgery was done partly by placing a microsurgical device in my brain,which could cut to the thinness of a few cells. The operation was successful,they got the whole tumor,and the only damage was a bit of numbness in my right hand,and a tendency to cough more, probably from the intubation. Whatever brain capacity I had is still in there. I spent 5 days in Neurosurgery ICU with my wonderful girlfriend by my side the whole time.In there, I was on a pressure relief device to aid healing,and I couldn't change the angle of my head without danger from dumping spinal fluid. Twice a day,though,they would unhook me and I would walk around with a nurse. I think I was the only person in there who was ambulatory.
The tumor was benign,a subependymoma,which tends not to come back,but I will need periodic MRI's to be sure. I am almost completely recovered. The whole time in the hospital,I thought about the first day I would drive my NSX, which I have been lucky enough to be able to do. I have been very lucky to have gotten through this so well,and take very little for granted now.It has also given me a greater appreciation for all that I have.
I know a lot of you,and feel like I know many others from all the time I spend on here, thanks for reading my story.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing as it takes a lot to speak of personal illness, I pray that your troubles are behind you and that you can enjoy life to the fullest and with greater appreciation for the things that make you happy and worry less about the things that stress you.
Everyday is a blessing, may all of us make the most of it.
Stay safe .

good for you sharing your complex medical issues.As you said the subependymoma is a benign tumor...your neurosurgeon must have been very skilled, the incision looks to be healing nicely.Make sure you follow up and adhere to the post surgical plan.

thank you both for the kind words. yes, docjohn, the neurosurgeon was quite skilled. i was fortunate that my girlfriend's twin is a neurologist here. she recommended the surgeon, who was quite young for a brain surgeon, to me, and said she was once-in-a-lifetime gifted.

Hi Rob,

I guess Congrats are in order!! Glad your recovery is going smooth, expect to see you at NSXPO2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Best Regards and well wishes.
LarryB

Thanks guys. You know,when I found out I had the damn thing, I had just lost a childhood friend to a brain tumor. He was a car guy,but had never gotten a car he was excited about, then he started having seizures and couldn't drive again. One thought I had was "Well, at least I got to get my NSX." I know it's just a material thing,but for me it's symbolic of being able to live my life and realize a dream. Being able to still drive and enjoy it is one of the things I'm most grateful for.
Larry, I won't be at NSXPO, but I will be at the east coast Mini-NSXPO coming up in a couple weeks, so Charles I will see you there.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your triumph. That is great news that you are almost completely recovered. Enjoy your NSX as soon as you can.

Thanks guys. You know,when I found out I had the damn thing, I had just lost a childhood friend to a brain tumor. He was a car guy,but had never gotten a car he was excited about, then he started having seizures and couldn't drive again. One thought I had was "Well, at least I got to get my NSX." I know it's just a material thing,but for me it's symbolic of being able to live my life and realize a dream. Being able to still drive and enjoy it is one of the things I'm most grateful for.
Larry, I won't be at NSXPO, but I will be at the east coast Mini-NSXPO coming up in a couple weeks, so Charles I will see you there.
Damn Robbie, they split your head wide open. I am very much glad you are feeling well and appreciate your helpful posts.
Stay strong!

thank you both for the kind words. yes, docjohn, the neurosurgeon was quite skilled. i was fortunate that my girlfriend's twin is a neurologist here. she recommended the surgeon, who was quite young for a brain surgeon, to me, and said she was once-in-a-lifetime gifted.

Great to hear your story. My Uncle is Chief Neurosurgeon at Danbury hospital in Connecticut. I know how hard he works, the long hours & the skill, precision & dexterity needed. Happy to hear you were taken care of by a gifted once in lifetime surgeon.

I really am wishing you the best in your recovery in what was a life or death situation. Enjoy everyday to the fullest.

Rob
Glad to hear you are doing better and that you are able to drive the NSX. Thanks for sharing your story. It is a good reminder to us all to appreciate those around us. You have a keeper in the girlfriend.
Regards,
Morgan

Rob
Glad to hear you are doing better and that you are able to drive the NSX. Thanks for sharing your story. It is a good reminder to us all to appreciate those around us. You have a keeper in the girlfriend.
Regards,
Morgan

My girlfriend and I got even closer going through this together,that's one good thing that came out of it. I knew she was kind,someone you could count on, but she really showed it. I feel like we're bonded for life now,and we plan to get married down the road. We called ICU the submarine,it felt so removed from the world,and she was right in there with me. Here's a picture of us after I got my pressure relief drain out. That was a happy day,because it meant I was healing well,and I was no longer confined to the bed almost all the time.

The other big helper was my little guy Andy. When I came home from the hospital,he wouldn't leave me. I could get around pretty well,but some nice neighbors tried to walk him for me,and he wouldn't leave the house. Before the surgery,I didn't take him in the NSX much, but after it I said life's too short (and it could have gotten a whole lot shorter) and now he rides with me. I still keep it super-clean, I would call it a regularly driven semi-garage queen, but it's really nice to pat his head while I'm roaring around in the car. I'm not going to have him forever,and want to enjoy him as much as I can.

Thanks again for your kind words everyone, I have found it quite therapeutic writing this. The whole event,and its fortunate end,has confirmed for me how precious life is, and how we should all remember to appreciate our loved ones every day.

Perfect see you there

Awesome to hear you are doing good!!! That has to be quite scary and can't imagine....

We all take so much for granted everyday, especially our health.....

Btw, just happen to be watching 60 Minutes right now and they're talking about a new therapy in fighting the worst type of brain cancer by injecting patients with Polio.... It has had amazing results so far!!! Crazy.

Glad to hear you are doing well.

Back