• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Great Book: THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN

I finished this book this morning. I read 10-15 books a year and this is one of, if not, the best book I've read in the past few years. It takes you though all the emotions and you really feel like you are living the story while reading it. I'm a huge F1 fan so I remember all the things it mentioned in the book. I'm going to have my wife read it next to see if she enjoys it as much as I did.

Do yourself a favor and make time to enjoy this book!!!

I bought A Dog's Purpose at Costco, this afternoon. Nice price. It was $20 on Amazon and $14 at Costco. :)

IMG_3415DogsPurpose.jpg

I think I may have liked ^this book just as much or more, than The Art of Racing in The Rain. It's told entirely from a dog's perspective. I loved it, too.

I finished this book this morning. I read 10-15 books a year and this is one of, if not, the best book I've read in the past few years. It takes you though all the emotions and you really feel like you are living the story while reading it. I'm a huge F1 fan so I remember all the things it mentioned in the book. I'm going to have my wife read it next to see if she enjoys it as much as I did.

Do yourself a favor and make time to enjoy this book!!!

I'm glad you liked it. I don't know of anyone who hasn't loved the book. I tried to get my 22-year old son to read it but he refuses to even try it.:rolleyes:

I think I may have liked ^this book just as much or more, than The Art of Racing in The Rain. It's told entirely from a dog's perspective. I loved it, too.
glad you liked this book, kyras. i thought they were both very good, too. hang on to these books for your son - some day he'll be ready for them :)

glad you liked this book, kyras. i thought they were both very good, too. hang on to these books for your son - some day he'll be ready for them :)
Thank you for recommending it, queenlives!

a similarly wonderful book is A Dog's Purpose.

Thanks to you for recommending this book and for Kyras (Patty) for endorsing it! I just finished it last night, and as a dog lover, I really enjoyed it, probably even more than I liked "The Art of Racing in the Rain." Both were wonderful books and I am giving both to another dog lover on my Christmas list. (Not re-gifting. I bought new books. I'm not that cheap! :smile:)

I wish there was another book as good as these two waiting for me to read it.
there's a world full of good reading out there...

two other animal-related books i really enjoyed are not animal stories, but are about specific animals and their lives. you may well have read them already, but just in case...

alex and me is a book about a very unique and talented research parrot named alex. video and book cover:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R6KvPN_Wt8I?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R6KvPN_Wt8I?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Alex's last words to Pepperberg (his research partner) were: "You be good. I love you."

and

Dewey Readmore Books, a library cat.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G8nSg8oxrfA?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G8nSg8oxrfA?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Attachments

• alex and me.jpg
    alex and me.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 33
  • dewey.jpg
    dewey.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
queenlives, did you read the Dewey book? I've picked it up a few times at Costco but have never purchased it.
indeed i did and i thought it was wonderful. (btw, not sure if the book currently in costco is the original dewey book or the 2nd book which, i believe, is another collection of stories about him. i'd go for #1, then #2.)

as fate would have it, when our beloved maine coon cat, pandora, passed away last march, not long after we (quite by accident) came across and rescued calvin, an orange and white cat who seems not completely unlike dewey in physical and personality characteristics. (as the weather begins to clear up, calvin will accompany me to the farmer's market on sunday morning to visit with people... as pandora did back in her day.)

here's cal in one of his favorite positions (we call him calvin the narcoleptic).

Attachments

• calvin_actioncat9.jpg
    calvin_actioncat9.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Thanks to you for recommending this book and for Kyras (Patty) for endorsing it! I just finished it last night, and as a dog lover, I really enjoyed it, probably even more than I liked "The Art of Racing in the Rain." Both were wonderful books and I am giving both to another dog lover on my Christmas list. (Not re-gifting. I bought new books. I'm not that cheap! :smile:)
just realized i didn't acknowledge your post - you're quite welcome!

here's cal in one of his favorite positions (we call him calvin the narcoleptic).

Gotta love those orange and white cats! Our next-door neighbor has one and he is a super-lazy, but lovable, cat! His name is Chase Utley. :confused:

queenlives, did you read the Dewey book? I've picked it up a few times at Costco but have never purchased it.
I just bought it for my Smartphone, and started reading it. You should spring for the $'s at Costco. It portends to be a great book, especially for you cat owners/lovers. :smile:

My wife purchased this book for me as a Christmas present. I'll be reading it on my flight to NJ Thursday.

Are you talking about "The Art of Racing in The Rain"? Please post how you liked it, when you are done.

Gotta love those orange and white cats! Our next-door neighbor has one and he is a super-lazy, but lovable, cat! His name is Chase Utley. :confused:

My daughter has an orange and white cat named Pepsi. This cartoon could have been about him...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EKvNqe8cKU4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EKvNqe8cKU4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

My daughter has an orange and white cat named Pepsi. This cartoon could have been about him...

<object height="385" width="640">

</object>

I see you've got the YouTube embedding down! :smile:

Last edited:
Season's Greetings, Patty.

Happy Holidays, Gene.

I have asked for a copy of The Art for Christmas. If I don't get one I'll be headed to Barnes and Noble on Sunday. :cool:

-Mike

^^^Thanks, Mike! The same to you. Still enjoying the NSX, I presume. :smile:

kyras,

although i'd seen that vid before, i loved it and, yes... just like our orange cat, calvin. thx for posting it.
hal

^^^Thanks, Mike! The same to you. Still enjoying the NSX, I presume. :smile:

Thanks, Gene. Yes, I am still very much enjoying the NSX. I pulled it out of the garage yesterday and went for a short drive just for the pleasure of it. Would have been a long drive but I had company. :D

Patty, your recommendation together with the buzz on s2ki and a recommendation from several folks at a recent meet in Orlando put The Art on my Christmas list. My wife came through and I read the entire thing in one sitting the next day. What a great story, and so well told.

The book did leave me with a small problem. I hate to drive the NSX in the rain because I know I will have to wash it as soon as the weather clears and down here this time of year it's almost always either warm and raining or cold and clear. Problem is now I've always enjoyed driving in the rain and now I REALLY want to take the NSX for a spin on my favorite road in a nice drizzle. I even have the egg-shells ready. ;)

Back