• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

grinding noise- what needs replaing?

I'm getting a grinding noise more and more frequently in 1st and reverse. It has been increasing during the last month or so.
It never happens when I am accelerating normally. However, when being forced to play with the clutch at low speeds in traffic it happens. Only when I'm moving forward or backward very slowly, slowly depressing the clutch pedal this happens.
For example, it happens most frequently hwne backing up slowly out of a parking space. You can;t just drop the clucth... you have to slowly release while giving some gas to back out slowly. That is when I hear grdinging. Same when moving forward slowlt=y in traffic. Normal or does something need replacement. The clutch is an RM. Is it possibly naturally noisy like this?

I just noticed something in the faq about linkage slipping and shudder with the RM Clutch when riding the clutch. That may be it.

Your clutch and gearbox are not related in the scenario you give. Your synchros are most likely worn. A trained NSX tech will be able to diagnose that in a few minutes with your car. The situations where you are shifting a lot (ie. traffic) probably accentuates the problem, especially if your tranny is low on fluid or has fluid needing replacing...

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

I think I've been getting some clutch slippage the last couple weeks as well.. if that's what it's called.
It still engages strongly, but loses power as I'm accelerating for a fraction of a second. When rolling slowly, I can shift into first and it engages strongly and grabs hard from the get go. After about half a second to a second of accelerating, the pulling suddenly slows down for a fraction of a second, then comes back. Same with second. Shift into second, it grabs hard and starts to pull, then all of a sudden I lose power to the wheels for a fraction of a second before it grabs again and continues. Needless to say it's driving me nuts, much moreso than than the minor grinding when riding the clutch. Kills acceleration feel and fun factor.
Would that be slippage? I've never had a clutch start to wear on me before so I don't know the symptoms. It's engaging well from a start, but then bogs for a fraction of a second. What could this be? I checked the FAQ and found some similar situations, but symptoms were described as slipping initially, and not after being fully engaged and accelerating. If this is slipping at all. Unfamiliar with the exact term for my case. ok...I'm rambling. help.

Anytime someone mentiones the feeling of briefly losing power, I say try totally disabling TCS (unplugging it seems to be the best) and see if you still experience the same feeling of power loss. If so, then go ahead and try to troubleshoot it further.

FYI- I took the car to Larry this weekend and we found the problem. I can't believe it took this guy 10 seconds to find out what it was... in the dark no less (it was about 7pm).
Apparently, the hose from the RM Chrome coolant bottle was too close to the throttle.
I'm not sure what the technical term is, but the lever that goes up and down in the engine when you push down the gas pedal. There is a small screw on the end. The hose was so close, that the screw would rub against this lever when accelerating, and slow that lever from pushing down as it rubbed. GEEZ.
redface.gif

Therefore, I felt a loss of acceleration at times.
He tied the hose down away from the lever so it wouldn't rub.

I'm just glad it was nothing serious. Anyway, I wanted to post this so if this happens to someone else, consider this a possibility. Unbelievable.

Back