• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Grom Audio install question

EK

Experienced Member
I recently purchased the Grom Audio MP3 + Bluetooth kit, and have a lot of difficulty in getting it to work.
- I have smartenna connected to the CD changer cable. During the initial installation, when I was using the USB port of the Grom device only, there were no issues.
- Bluetooth on EXT port does not work - iphone won't see the device. iphone can see the device when the bluetooth cable is connected to the IPOD port. Got new firmware from Grom to enable EXT port.
- Moved bluetooth to IPOD port. Paired with iphone 4. Sometime cannot answer call. Got new firmware from Grom, but after installation the head unit doesn't see the Grom device.
- Wife took the car to Grom. With new device and cable, USB/MP3 and bluetooth worked until she got home. The head unit reports error when she started the car, and then the "mode" button toggles between AM and FM, no more CD changer/Grom. I have to pull the clock fuse to reset everything. Happened twice the next day.
- Now Grom said "We have had customers that own a NSX that say connecting at the rear of the radio has helped to resolve the issue."

Question: any ideas why connecting via the CD changer cable can be a problem? The good old CD changer was working perfectly before, so I don't think it's the cable.

Last edited:
I was about to bump the old Grom USB thread but let me piggyback here :smile:

I'm looking at this thing as well, but I'd like to attach it in place of the CD-Changer in the trunk connected to the M-Bus cable, and route the USB to the interior.

Grom recommends the HON92 cable for the NSX but that looks like a direct connect to the head unit only. The output side does look like the round DIN for M-Bus like the CD Changer has, and people have reported in the other thread just plugging that in to the Grom and being good to go.

I have no idea what the other option, the MBUSH cable, looks like. I've inferred from the other thread that where people are having problems, they are having problems with the trunk mount.

For your question, EK, have you tried without Smartenna attached?

Last edited:
I got the grom audio unit... but I only use it for USB only...

Mine worked in the trunk where the cd changer used to be at....

to make it cleaner and to give access to the usb drive from inside the car i moved it from the trunk and hooked it up to the cd changer wire behind the drivers seat... There is a step by step instruction post on how to access that cd changer cable behind the drivers seat.

And i got the hon92 cable as well.. hope that helps some...

Just to update, I also did the install behind the drivers seat at the cable junction using the HON92 cable. Sometimes, I get that bit where I can only toggle AM and FM and not CD. Usually it will spontaneously reappear the next time I start the car without pulling a fuse. It is a bit annoying, but USB is just so convenient.

Last edited:
Have you try toggling the PROG button on the headunit? I dont have the bluetooth unit, just standard ipod one. But last time when i took the headunit off to do some other wiring, once reinstall the grom i get no sound. Then i toggle yhe PROG buttom to cd1, then my ipod works great, sounds and everything. The PROG button on the headunit, if u remember, is use to switch between cds in the changer.

Give that a try, who know? Might fix the problem.. If not, it doesnt hurt anything.

Back