• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ground in passenger footwell?

Apologies for silly question, would anyone be able to point me to a good ground point next to the dash footwell fusebox?

Last edited:
There's a bolt that's directly beneath the fusebox but it's unclear as to whether it's a valid grounding point.

If you want to stick with 'official' ground points, get a copy of the electrical section of the service manual (with a short search you can find links to the SM on Prime). In the 1991 SM (should be relatively close on later versions), starting on page 23-15 there is a list of connectors with locations and diagrams showing approximate locations. All the connectors starting with G are ground connectors. G401 in the left kick panel (diagram of page 23-31 shows location) is probably the closest official ground point in the area you are talking about. However, not sure what you mean by passenger footwell. G402 (page 23-33) is the ground on the passenger side footwell - which is not near the fuse box on a LHD car.

If you are not hung up on using an official ground point, any metal screw / bolt that fits into the metal body structure will probably suffice, particularly if this is a low current application. Make sure that the current your application draws respects the bolt / screw size. I would avoid any bolts / screws that are dacrotized because I don't know whether that coating is electrically conductive. You can do an initial check of the suitability of any screw / bolt as a low current ground point by using an ohmmeter to check the resistance between the screw / bolt and the G401 ground point. The resistance should come out at 0 ohms (after correction for the test lead resistance). If its not 0, look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Back