• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

GT-R laptime 7:29...BS?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBZ5i15yVU8

They started timing at the green line in this photo, ended timing at the yellow line.
post-3-1214638549_thumb.jpg

That's only about a 3-4 second gap but I see what you are saying. I believe in general they all are tested in the same fashion. Whether it runs a 7:29 or 7:33 isn't too significant to me although it does provide more competition which is nice.

What really bugs me is that there is actual footage of multiple GT-R tests on the ring and they discuss how it was tested(rolling start), however the ZR1 sets a time.....and i can't find ONE video of the actual test. not one. So what, we just take their word on it?

IIRC, this has already been discussed and it was determined that is how EVERYONE does timings at Nurburging.

From Wikipedia

Drivers interested in lap times (a dangerous thing to worry about, as running stop watches are frequently found in crashed vehicles) often time themselves from the first bridge after the barriers to the last gantry before the exit.

What really bugs me is that there is actual footage of multiple GT-R tests on the ring and they discuss how it was tested(rolling start), however the ZR1 sets a time.....and i can't find ONE video of the actual test. not one. So what, we just take their word on it?

See the GM Blog: http://blog.gmnext.com/?p=194

The video is planned to be posted the week of 7/7 when the engineering team returns from Germany.

That's only about a 3-4 second gap but I see what you are saying. I believe in general they all are tested in the same fashion. Whether it runs a 7:29 or 7:33 isn't too significant to me although it does provide more competition which is nice.

Is it? It looks like a low speed corner starts that stretch, and it looks like maby a 1/4 mile or so between the two points?
If so, I would guess more like 8-10 seconds.

Is it? It looks like a low speed corner starts that stretch, and it looks like maby a 1/4 mile or so between the two points?
If so, I would guess more like 8-10 seconds.

I'm pretty sure it would only be about 3-4 seconds, especially when taking in consideration the power and the accelleration of the GT-R (v-spec too). Still an impressive time either way.

The GT-R's lap time was measured the exact same way as every other Nurburgring laptime, there is no controversy here and nothing to discuss.

More here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordschleife_fastest_lap_times

Not all of the following laptimes are comparable. A full lap of the Nordschleife, bypassing the modern GP track, is 20.832 km (12.944 mi) long. Most laps are completed 200 metres (656 ft) shorter for safety reasons. Full uninterrupted flying laps can only be done in closed sessions and race events like Castrol-Haugg-Cup.

During the industry testing sessions in which sport auto records its "Supertest", the track can not be traveled at full speed past "Tribüne 13" (T13, grandstand 13) in order to allow safe access from the old exit/entrance there. Thus, sport auto Supertests cover only about 20.6 km (12.8 mi), which in average yields a 7 s shorter lap time compared to a full lap.

Back