• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GTR has some competition. ZR1

Someone on another site site the weight is 3300lbs. I hope not. That would be dissapointing since they were aiming for 2900.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=124018?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1.*

This is a great arcticle on it.

Some intersesting things in there about the suspension.. they went for the Magnetic like the Z55 so you will get a nice(r) ride when tooling around and then hardcore performance when you want it. I woudl think it should be as good as the 599 Ferrari.

The Brakes "In what must be a very sweet moment for a longtime Corvette engineer, Juechter notes that the monster 15-inch Brembo carbon-ceramic rotors fitted as standard to the ZR1's rear wheels are the brakes originally designed for the front of Ferrari's 650-hp Enzo supercar. In the front of the ZR1, you'll find even larger 15.5-inch carbon-ceramic units. "

Launching..
"When you're stopped and the clutch pedal is depressed and you pile on some revs, the car assumes you want to launch it hard. It automatically softens the compression damping of the rear shocks, and this allows the rear end to squat and effectively shift more weight to the rear of the car for added traction. At the same time, the rebound damping of the rear shocks goes up to 99 percent of full stiffness. This means that the rear cannot spring back up under power in the up-and-down monkey motion of axle hop.

All this is perhaps the cleverest use of adjustable shocks that we've ever heard of."

Very sweet. I bet this thing does more than 130 MPH in the 1/4

Last edited:
Someone on another site site the weight is 3300lbs. I hope not. That would be dissapointing since they were aiming for 2900.

Nice article and pics on Autoweek.com:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200712200430/FREE/735513721

The article says that car wasn't designed to be a Z06++, rather something more GT-ish. The Z06 is the track car, the ZR1 is perhaps something more like a Ferrari 599 - something hyper-fast but not as harsh to drive on normal roads, better sound insulation, etc.

The Brakes "In what must be a very sweet moment for a longtime Corvette engineer, Juechter notes that the monster 15-inch Brembo carbon-ceramic rotors fitted as standard to the ZR1's rear wheels are the brakes originally designed for the front of Ferrari's 650-hp Enzo supercar. In the front of the ZR1, you'll find even larger 15.5-inch carbon-ceramic units. "

Apparently, the front brakes are the exact same monoblock calibers and rotors from the Ferrari FXX. With FXX brakes in front and Enzo brakes in the rear, the ZR1 has $30k just in brakes. Or more?

Apparently, the front brakes are the exact same monoblock calibers and rotors from the Ferrari FXX. With FXX brakes in front and Enzo brakes in the rear, the ZR1 has $30k just in brakes. Or more?

Judging from the going rate for those type of brakes, I would guess it has at least $15,000 in brakes.:eek:

A few days ago we were talking about Nissan wanting to get the GT-R to an SAE-certified 480hp so it would match the Porsche 911 Turbo, one of its chief rivals. It looks like that should be an easy feat if the dyno numbers coming out of Japan today are solid - and it looks like they are. According to testing done on a Dynapack dynamometer, the new GT-R pumps 482PS (475hp) to all four hubs, with torque peaking at 580Nm (428lb-ft) at the hubs.

Assuming parasitic drivetrain losses around 15% - although the loss could be even larger given the GT-R’s all-wheel drive platform - that would put power at the crank around 550hp and 495lb-ft of torque - absolutely insane numbers for a 3.8L engine, twin-turbo or not. Suspicious? Head on over to NAGTROC, the North American GT-R Owners Club forums, where poster Chuck H has links to photographic evidence of the testing, complete with shots of the dyno screen.

While these numbers seem to fit more aptly with the GT-R’s 3800lb curb weight and its scorching ‘Ring times, it still seems odd that a car with a drag coefficient of 0.27 would top out at anything under 200mph with 550hp under the hood. Maybe there’s more to this story than meets the eye. We’ll keep you updated as things unfold.

P1.jpg

I appreciate the power that engine makes, but does it remind anyone else of a supra dyno?

attachment.php

Assuming parasitic drivetrain losses around 15% - although the loss could be even larger given the GT-R’s all-wheel drive platform - that would put power at the crank around 550hp and 495lb-ft of torque - absolutely insane numbers for a 3.8L engine, twin-turbo or not. Suspicious? Head on over to NAGTROC, the North American GT-R Owners Club forums, where poster Chuck H has links to photographic evidence of the testing, complete with shots of the dyno screen.

While these numbers seem to fit more aptly with the GT-R’s 3800lb curb weight and its scorching ‘Ring times, it still seems odd that a car with a drag coefficient of 0.27 would top out at anything under 200mph with 550hp under the hood.

Seems like that car with 550+ HP could lap the 'ring faster than the Z06 -- i guess.

The MPH in the 1/4 tested would seem to say the GT-R does indeed have a bout 480-500 HP. Of course from a roll a Z06 I think would kill the GT-R.

Attachments

• DYNO.jpg
    DYNO.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 37
Seems like that car with 550+ HP could lap the 'ring faster than the Z06 -- i guess.

The MPH in the 1/4 tested would seem to say the GT-R does indeed have a bout 480-500 HP. Of course from a roll a Z06 I think would kill the GT-R.

I disagree...the GT-R traps the 1/4 at pretty high rate of speed, which tells me that it's pulling hard the whole time. I think the Z06 would keep up from a roll, probably pull slowly.... but I don't see any "killing" going on.

I disagree...the GT-R traps the 1/4 at pretty high rate of speed, which tells me that it's pulling hard the whole time. I think the Z06 would keep up from a roll, probably pull slowly.... but I don't see any "killing" going on.

Kill was probably the wrong word. It will pull away though.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yDoJdQXmwu8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yDoJdQXmwu8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

So lets see, ~4 yrs & who knows how many 100s of thousands in development, an estimated $100K price tag, and supposedly mind-boggling performance levels. Yet NO ONE thought to put a good set of seats in the damn thing??!! Like no one in GM/Chevy could have called Bride, Recaro, or Sparco for a pair of seats with actual side support & lots of adjustments? My '83 GTI had much better seats than that. So go spend $100K on the car (like the dealers won't be gouging for the 1st year) & then go drop another $3-4K in seats? Gimme a break.

It is the right business decision. A lot of the Corvette owners/buyers are a little wider than 34" or 36". If they put Race Seats in, it would limit buyer market significantly and piss those guys off.

One option is to provide the opportunity of either, or just buy your own and sell the stock :rolleyes:

Great car, all around. I personally like the fact that there are a number of cars coming out that give the NSX a run for it's money. More motivation for go-fast carck and get the "non-purist/NSX junkies" do dump their cars :biggrin:

Last edited:
Back