• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HANS vs No Hans

heres two good friends of mine, this happened about a month ago at ButtonWillow car was totaled. Driver had a Hans passenger did not. Both had 6pt harnesses.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XTiZBcuPGso" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="720" width="960"></iframe>

The passenger cut his finger pretty bad when they went under the fence and his hand was grabbing the a pillar, he also tweaked his back and was out of commission for almost a week. its really scary to think of the forces something like this has on the body. Bascular skull fractures are a very real thing, when you've got an unsupported helmet. imagine they hit a wall or something, its easy too see why a HANS is a really really good idea.

Funfact: drive had to pay $800 for chain link fence repair. he took it in stride though.

Last edited:
heres two good friends of mine, this happened about a month ago at ButtonWillow car was totaled. Driver had a Hans passenger did not. Both had 6pt harnesses.

(VIDEO)

The passenger cut his finger pretty bad when they went under the fence and his hand was grabbing the a pillar, he also tweaked his back and was out of commission for almost a week. its really scary to think of the forces something like this has on the body. Bascular skull fractures are a very real thing, when you've got an unsupported helmet. imagine they hit a wall or something, its easy too see why a HANS is a really really good idea.

Funfact: drive had to pay $800 for chain link fence repair. he took it in stride though.

Geez man, yeah, I've been eying one of the Simpson Rage devices, since I still have OEM belts (no plan to upgrade my street car).
Anyway, Youtube description says he was able to drive the car home but it's totalled?
Do you know what happened? Did he lift midcorner? What kind of car was it? Looks like an older Honda Civic or something.

Hans every time on the track with my 3.2 Carrera.
This videos makes me want to set up the nsx the same way now. Never cut corner on safety.

Geez man, yeah, I've been eying one of the Simpson Rage devices, since I still have OEM belts (no plan to upgrade my street car).
Anyway, Youtube description says he was able to drive the car home but it's totalled?
Do you know what happened? Did he lift midcorner? What kind of car was it? Looks like an older Honda Civic or something.

Yeah, the rad support crumpled in and punched a hole in the rad and shifted the subframe back. they were able to get wenched out and JB welded the radiator so it held water. They drove from Buttonwillow back to SanDiego crab crawling all the way. Both guys in the video are Acura techs so they put it on the alignment rack at work and the caster and toe was all tweaked, when loosening the sub frame it 'popped' somewhat back into place but on farther inspection found that the rad support crinkled and pushed the lower control arm mounting point and fender apron outta wack. It could likely be fixed but it'll never be 100% straight again, since its a $1000 chassis (first gen Integra DA) its wasn't worth putting money in just to have a so/so chassis. He bought a DC2 chassis and is swapping everything he can over. Not such a bad thing in the longrun since hes going to end up with a much better platform.

He said didn't lift at all, he even stayed on it to get it straightened out in the dirt rather than risk flipping, which was a smart move. there just wasn't enough room to stop and they flew over the berm. Looks go graceful like the rear just came around, I know there is a bump in the apex at the kink right there and i've seen it catch people out, Ive had moments in my old RSX in the same spot. i think with more aggressive countersteer it may have been scrubbed out but i think there was also maybe coolant or something down on the track. in those situations i your just kind of in it for the ride.

heres another of MANY examples at that kink.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cBFOnaiLuwk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="720" width="1280"></iframe>

That's terrifying to see in slo mo. I've been a bit lazy utilizing my HANS. Not anymore after seeing this.

So much joint and road surface assembling on this track and especially in this curve. That makes the grip unpredictable. I would not like to push my car to the limit on this.

Back