• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Harmonic damper replacement

I am thinking that replacing the harmonic damper on my 2000 might be a prudent thing to do when I do my timing belt replacement this year. Unfortunately, I haven't ordered one and delivery from Amayama is about 60-90 days by surface mail (I am cheap and don't want to pay for Fed Ex or their ridiculous brokerage fees). I have looked at the service manual. The service manual includes the damper removal as part of the TB replacement process and does not have a section just covering replacement of the damper. Its not explicit; but, it appears from the diagram in the manual that you can do a damper replacement without fiddling with the timing belt. If that is the case I may proceed with the TB at my convenience and then refit the damper when it arrives. Otherwise, I everything gets postponed until the damper arrives - which fits with my tendency to procrastinate.

Can anybody confirm that you can R&R the damper without messing with the timing belt?

R&R the harmonic balancer can be done without messing with the timing belt.

While it is your money, I recommend just getting a timing belt guard from Cedar Ridge or T3Tec and be done with it. And in the unlikely event of a failed damper: the guard should protect it. The guard can also be installed without messing with the timing belt.

Yes, you can change the damper without touching the TB. You also have the option to install a pulley shield as insurance until your replacement pulley arrives...if you are concerned.

Balancer

As part of a TB and WP replacement, Nibal's shop in Orlando did it for me before he closed the shop. I believe he got the balancer from SOS. The extra few dollars in cost may even out after you pay for international shipping. Jerry

As part of a TB and WP replacement, Nibal's shop in Orlando did it for me before he closed the shop. I believe he got the balancer from SOS. The extra few dollars in cost may even out after you pay for international shipping. Jerry

In the world of strange things, insured and tracked surface mail from Japan to Canada is probably cheaper than US to Canada and maybe not that much slower. Last summer I order an item that originated in Torrance Ca and it took around 3 weeks for it to make its way from Torrance to the US - Canada point of entry.

Thanks to all for confirmation about being able to do a damper R&R without messing with the TB. I am sure the Cedar Ridge guard is good; but, it just prevents damage after a failure. If I am going to spend $, I would like to prevent the failure and avoid potential down time.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for confirmation about being able to do a damper R&R without messing with the TB. I am sure the Cedar Ridge guard is good; but, it just prevents damage after a failure. If I am going to spend $, I would like to prevent the failure and avoid potential down time.

There have been instances where a new harmonic balancer has failed after a few years, albeit not many. For the money, I think the shield is worth the insurance against a motor rebuild?

The guard is highly recommended regardless of the age of your harmonic balancer.

It is also unlikely the balancer will fail with non-track driving.

IMHO, just install the guard and wait for a failure in lieu of a pre-maintenance replacement, it might last another 30 years without issue.

I am thinking that replacing the harmonic damper on my 2000 might be a prudent thing to do when I do my timing belt replacement this year. Unfortunately, I haven't ordered one and delivery from Amayama is about 60-90 days by surface mail (I am cheap and don't want to pay for Fed Ex or their ridiculous brokerage fees). I have looked at the service manual. The service manual includes the damper removal as part of the TB replacement process and does not have a section just covering replacement of the damper. Its not explicit; but, it appears from the diagram in the manual that you can do a damper replacement without fiddling with the timing belt. If that is the case I may proceed with the TB at my convenience and then refit the damper when it arrives. Otherwise, I everything gets postponed until the damper arrives - which fits with my tendency to procrastinate.

Can anybody confirm that you can R&R the damper without messing with the timing belt?

I was so happy I changed the balancer for my 2nd WP/TB. The engine was so much smoother for me under acceleration & especially at idle.

I was so happy I changed the balancer for my 2nd WP/TB. The engine was so much smoother for me under acceleration & especially at idle.
Unless the harmonic balancer pulley was about fall apart you won't notice much difference if any at all. Your observation is more likely to other things changed while being in there.

Back