• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

has anyone done this....(electrical)

was talking to an electrical engineer that works for us. and while we were driving home,i was complaining of the lighting from my trucks headlight output.
now i never heard of this being such a problem,but he was telling me that infact, if you rewire your head lights with a relay,from direct power. you'll gain sometimes as much as 20% more light!????? is this true?? i mean i know it's true for the fact that he proved it on a previous car he owned,but my question is,did anyone try this on the NSX!!!!
i read fellow NSX member's site Clearcorners.com ,and i see he mentioned it with higher output headlights that you can buy,but not stock.
did anyone do this ,and do you have picture results?

p.s. i did do a search,and couldnt find anything but this...
http://www.scribd.com/doc/16148105/Wiring-Headlight-Relays

Gary~

Bigger wires and a relay may gain you 1 -2%, not really enough to justify the work or expense. If you are intrested in seeing how much loss there is measure with the headlights on the voltage at the battery and at the connector of the head lamp with a good DVM. Report back here with what you find I am guessing you will find less then a .5 volt loss.

I've only seen that to be true in applications where the alternator cant keep up with the needs of vehicle and headlights together.

An example would be my little italian scooter lol. Low beam headlight barely is lit at idle, but bright at high rpm. The high beam is wired through a relay to the battery so it is always bright. Low beam is ran off the alternator only

I also seen my low beams dim at idle in my old truck before also. It'd brighten up once the rpms pick up. It was a worn out alternator.

Last edited:
I've only seen that to be true in applications where the alternator cant keep up with the needs of vehicle and headlights together.
If the alternator isn't putting out 13.5 V or more at idle, that's a potential problem. But, have you run the test suggested by BrianK?

As an FYI, the NSX (at least '95-'96, so probably all years) uses a headlight relay.

Last edited:
I did it on my old Kawasaki 1000 Motorcycle and the light output doubled. It was old and I don't think they used relays back then. Don't most cars have relays in them nowadays?

If the alternator isn't putting out 13.5 V or more at idle, that's a potential problem. But, have you run the test suggested by BrianK?

As an FYI, the NSX (at least '95-'96, so probably all years) uses a headlight relay.

I did it on my old Kawasaki 1000 Motorcycle and the light output doubled. It was old and I don't think they used relays back then. Don't most cars have relays in them nowadays?

Looking in the electrical trouble-shooting manuals, etc that I have, here are some examples

Car Headlight Relays
1972 Saab 99 yes
1984 Corvette no
1995 Ford Taurus no
1996 NSX yes
2001 MB SLK yes (but manual is beyond cryptic - makes one appreciate
the NSX manuals)

Last edited:
Based on the service manual wiring diagram page 23-I 70, I'd say they're as bright as they're going to get. Battery->Relay->Headlight->Ground.

nsx2tall just got your answer for you. Relay is in place. Upgrade to HID's.

Based on the service manual wiring diagram page 23-I 70, I'd say they're as bright as they're going to get. Battery->Relay->Headlight->Ground.

hey 88

which exact kit do you get(did you buy) for the NSX!
thanks, Gary

Correct, the NSX electrical system already uses relays for the forward facing lighting. Only time this is an issue is when a vehicle does not use relays and the current must run through a switch.

As for rebased HID kits, they're not legal for road use in most civilized countries with enforced lighting standards. Components are usually made overseas and sub-par in terms of quality & opticwhen compared with OEM xenon systems.

hey 88

which exact kit do you get(did you buy) for the NSX!
thanks, Gary

I have the DDM Slim Ballast 55W kit with the 6000K color (for a slight blue tint). I also opted for the external relay wiring harness that pulls the power directly from the battery for extra safety.

As for rebased HID kits, they're not legal for road use in most civilized countries with enforced lighting standards. Components are usually made overseas and sub-par in terms of quality & opticwhen compared with OEM xenon systems.

It is true that most are not legal for road use in the US, however I have never heard of anyone getting pulled over for them here. The NSX uses a projector style housing that focuses the light better (with less scatter) than most reflector type halogen housings that have HID retrofit kits. The components were made here in the US (but probably not anymore), but almost ALL electrical components are made overseas (and so is our NSX).

Lastly, they aren't sub-par in terms of quality & optics because the 1991-2001s didn't have OEM xenon systems, so there's nothing to be subpar to! :biggrin:

These DDM Kits carry a lifetime warranty (though I've heard it's hard to claim). I personally have owned 4 systems and have only had 1 bulb recently go out after 3.5 years. . I'll see how hard it is to get a warranty exchange but the replacement pair is only $12.50 which is cheaper than the halogen bulbs they replace! There are a quite of few of us NSXers that have the HID retrofit kits in our cars and can vouch for their effectiveness. Probably one of simpliest and best mods I've done to it, but the decision is yours. :smile:

For us with old cars, adding a relay or two will brighten the lights. I have a few old vettes and the lights used to dim down at idle. The original alt. only put out somewhere around 42 amps. I changed to a 100 amp. alt. and dimming is moderate. There is a company called MAD Electronics that sells a retrofit dual relay system for the old cars. There is really no need for such a system for our cars. There is a shop here in Tampa that will retrofit the alt. to 400+ amps. He sells them to the people with huge sound systems. No doubt relays and larger wire is in order for these applications. Jerry

Back