• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Has Range Rover reliability improved, considering new LR4?

I've been shopping for nice 7-passenger SUV's and though I looked at the American offerings, it just seems the German's have more solid bodies....my 99 ML320 just hit 145k miles and not one creak or rattle with a solid motor.

We have an RX already in the family and figured our next SUV would be nice to seat 7 people.

Obvious choice was the Acura MDX but I also looked the GL450 and this past weekend I went to drive the LR$ Land Rover and loved it! Amazingly the price wasn't too bad either (they had a 2011 demo with 1300 miles for asking $57k.

What do you guys think of Range Rover as a brand? I heard of horror stories with electrical problems on the older models. How are the new ones?

I don't know much about this brand so any input from experience is appreciated :)

rick

Land Rover has "improved" since Ford bought them in the early 00s. But Land Rovers in general do break down and experience electrical malfunctions. Simple things like Windows, Radio, Gauges, ETC. My friend had an 04 Discovery and it was SHIT.

Also the parts a very very very expensive. Everything has to be imported.

They probably are alot better now then the Series II but I still think you are better off buying a Land Cruiser or a Grand Cherokee. For some reason England and Reliability don't go hand in hand.

They are very unreliable. One friend of mine kept getting stuck in his HSE. It would just die while he was driving it. He sold it and got a used Cherokee. Another friend of mine just got one brand new last month. The second day he had it, it had to go in for electrical problems. They are a pile of junk!!

Don't tint the windows. You will go crazy with electrical gremlins.

I've owned '00 Diso, '95 RR Classic, '97D90, '95D90. All purchased used, well out of warranty, and I never had any major problems. Mostly routine stuff as with any other vehicle.

I've owned '00 Diso, '95 RR Classic, '97D90, '95D90. All purchased used, well out of warranty, and I never had any major problems. Mostly routine stuff as with any other vehicle.

hmmm, this is my experience with my Audi S4 as I had no problems but everyone I talked to had issues?

thanks for the input - I may have to do some more reading on this....

Batman: Yes I know the MDX is an awesome SUV judging by so many NSX owners that have MDX's! :)

I would stay away from a Land Rover. I used to work for a dealership that sold them and they were terrible. An extended warranty is probably $ 5,000.00 where the cost will be half for a comparably priced Lexus or Acura. BTW extended warranty pricing is like insurance. The price is based on repair cost and or risk.

I had a LR3 for three years. It was bullet proof, not one single issue ever, not one rattle either. It was a tank and I would gladly own one again. I've heard the horror stories but that was limited to the pre LR3 version from what I've heard. That being said, others have suggested problems with land rover in general so maybe I just got lucky. Depreciation is not good though.

I've always pondered the same question, but too chicken to bite the bate.
Heard same thing about Mercedes and Bmw's. Recently purchased a 2011 E550 now has 14k miles and 2011 Bmw 550GT now with 11K miles.
Both are rock solid with no issues.

Neighbor has an 06 LR3 with over 80k miles and experienced no issues and highly recommends it. I think it's the luck of the draw with any cars. One thing certain is high costs to maintain after warranty. I would go for it if you only plan on keeping for only a few years.

I have been jonesing for a Range Rover lately too. 2010+ MY have greatly improved in quality, powertrain(new Jag engine/trannies) and electrical gremlins(new Jag electrics). So if I were u I would only loook at 2010+. As you are already doing - Ideally get a 2011 LR4 with the 5.0L V8. It is probably safer to buy a 2nd year of the new model. :wink:

I believe Range Rover has gotten better, but not enough to make me feel comfortable taking a cross country trip with the family in one. I know way too many people with little issues that still steer me away.

I'm also in the market for a 7 passenger as a replacement for my 4runner. The MDX is hard to beat (considering the Pilot also), but you may want to look at the Audi Q7 too - my neigbor has one and it is NICE.

-Bill

Maybe this will help?

VDS-927x1024.png

Maybe this will help?

VDS-927x1024.png

I'm sure that's just coincidence...

I love the LR4's and have driven several. The supercharged LR4 is my favorite SUV, even over the cayenne which I've been a big fan of for a while now. Depreciation however is borderline astonishing and depreciation and reliability are rarely too out of sync, i.e. AMG benz's, high end jags, etc.

I'm sure that's just coincidence...

I love the LR4's and have driven several. The supercharged LR4 is my favorite SUV, even over the cayenne which I've been a big fan of for a while now. Depreciation however is borderline astonishing and depreciation and reliability are rarely too out of sync, i.e. AMG benz's, high end jags, etc.

There's more to that - sex appeal too.

I just recently picked up an '08 LR3. This will be my first Land Rover. I did a lot of research and found it went both ways; some people had lots of problems and some had very few. I test drove a couple of LR4s and loved them! They are more refined than the LR3s, but I thought I'd get an LR3 with some miles on it instead to test the waters. Parts are not all that expensive, as long as you don't buy from the dealer. I don't think they're any more expensive than for a Mercedes, Audi or Acura. If you're prepared to do some of the work yourself, I don't think it'll be a big deal. If you're buying new, then it doesn't really matter since you have a warranty and the option to extend it.

I looked at a lot of other SUVs and nothing (for me anyway) compares to the styling/look/feel - it's just so different. Kind of like the NSX, it makes you feel good when you get in it. I plan to put the LR3 to the test - on and off road. If it works out well, I may replace it with an LR4 later or get the Evoque for a daily driver.......love the AWD!

Already have the mod bug for the LR3 :redface:

I just recently picked up an '08 LR3. This will be my first Land Rover. I did a lot of research and found it went both ways; some people had lots of problems and some had very few. I test drove a couple of LR4s and loved them! They are more refined than the LR3s, but I thought I'd get an LR3 with some miles on it instead to test the waters. Parts are not all that expensive, as long as you don't buy from the dealer. I don't think they're any more expensive than for a Mercedes, Audi or Acura. If you're prepared to do some of the work yourself, I don't think it'll be a big deal. If you're buying new, then it doesn't really matter since you have a warranty and the option to extend it.

I looked at a lot of other SUVs and nothing (for me anyway) compares to the styling/look/feel - it's just so different. Kind of like the NSX, it makes you feel good when you get in it. I plan to put the LR3 to the test - on and off road. If it works out well, I may replace it with an LR4 later or get the Evoque for a daily driver.......love the AWD!

Already have the mod bug for the LR3 :redface:

thanks for the ideas - I still have not pulled the trigger but may go the "pre-owned" route to avoid the new car depreciation hit.

Used LR4's are pretty good pricing :)

thanks for the ideas - I still have not pulled the trigger but may go the "pre-owned" route to avoid the new car depreciation hit.

Used LR4's are pretty good pricing :)

Looks like you made up your mind.

I have 3 friends with land rovers, I have picked up all 3 on the side of the road in my Honda.

Agree. Had two RR classics. Really great vehicles and loved the look. Small electrical problems and air suspension.

Attachments

• rr20.JPG
    rr20.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 3,627
Range Rovers are an experience--and it looks like you have made up your mind already and need some validation. I was the same way when I got mine despite many warnings about its reliability.

We purchased a 2005 HSE Westminster (which is a limited edition with a few extra perks; more unique than phenomenal compared to base) near the end of 2008. The Rover has had its share of problems, the biggest being the air suspension, in my opinion a useless thing that only results in problems with little practical value. The truck started going up and down on its own and stumped 2 of the most busy dealerships in the country on how to fix. Surprisingly a small dealership with poor communication and a non-national reputation fixed it with no issues on the first try. We have had some other issues with it but that's the biggest one. Extended warranty cost $3500+ for 3 years and we used up every dime and probably put in ~$4-5K on top of it. You have to factor in cost of ownership on these cars, pay to play.

On depreciation, it all depends on where on the curve you get it. Brand new or close, you will get hosed. But, if you hit the sweet spot, you can get a great deal. The Westminster I have probably had a new tag of ~90K (I'm sure it was discounted from MSRP by a bit). With 22k miles, the dealer was asking $38k for a 3+ year old car. I said I wouldn't pay more than $30K and got it (this is for ppl who get offended at lowballing; no harm trying, it's called negotiations). We've put 61K miles on it (83k total) and extended warranty has ended. Thankfully, it has been pretty good post-warranty (some minor body things that I haven't gotten fixed) and from what I'm seeing with comparable cars, it should have excellent resale (maybe it's westminster thing or maybe it's just RR). Just hitting the sweet spot on the depreciation curve with this particular model and getting a great deal will (hopefully) essentially make for money I put into it.

I had 2005 model which was a BMW built one and perhaps more troublesome than others. But in terms of the car itself, we love it. It's fun and refined to be in--not just name brand but that means a lot to ppl to. It looks great and with running boards and exterior grill, it looks real aggressive. When I tell ppl I got it for less than $30K @ 22K miles, they are shocked. Might be a sick deal that I got. But did end up pouring more money into it after adding up tax, extended warranty, repairs, misc. Maybe it's like an abusive relationship, but we are probably planning to replace this Range with newer, used one, down the line. I'm just not sure when, maybe this year. I feel like many of the potential problems have been sorted out and want to milk it and put more mileage on before jettisoning it (of course, this may be playing with fire).

Picked up this 8 passenger beast a few months ago.
No complaints. Very powerful truck.

2011-10-19_16-39-52_500.jpg

I too wanted a Range Rover for a long time. I was looking for a replacement for my old 5 series last fall and couldn't find an E60 exactly like I wanted after almost a year of looking. So I thought about what else I would like. The Range Rover came to mind. I've never been an SUV guy, but just love them every time I see them.
So after looking for 2 weeks I found exactly what I wanted. Picked up an 04 HSE white/tan. This was mid-October last year. Had 77K on it when we bought it from a private seller. Has 82k on it now and has had zero issues. My wife and I both love it. Took it on a 1400 mile road trip over xmas and it performed flawlessly.
Now I know that isn't a long term report, but it's all I have so far. As far as the air suspension. The best suggestion I have, and what I've been doing, is to lock the suspension in the mid level setting. So it won't be automatically lowering/raising itself every time you get on/off the highway. I'd think that would eliminate a lot of use (and a function that I believe they eliminated in later years).
My only complaint is the handling and turning radius, which is just because I'm used to cars. And the fuel economy...again, I expected this, but it still is a bit shocking coming from always driving sedans for DD's.

Anyways, I probably doomed myself for talking good about the truck now.

A pic from when I bought it...since have put the supercharged grille and side vents on it.....also planning on the supercharged tail lights and wheels this spring...modding isn't only for the NSX!

IMG_20111027_180341 by blodi, on Flickr

Looks like you made up your mind.

I have 3 friends with land rovers, I have picked up all 3 on the side of the road in my Honda.

+1

Rick, you really don't want to have that RR break on ya in inclement weather with the baby in the car on the side of the road do ya?

Back