• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Having problems with hot starts?

:confused: I'm a new owner of a 94' Brookland Green with 45,000 miles. My problem is once the car is driven and I stop for something and tryto crank it the engine turns over several times before it fires up. Cold starts, it fires right up.

Anyone having this problem or know what the problem my be?

sounds like vapor lock- check your vacuum and fuel lines for kinks, deformation and/or obstructions.

I get this issue too. The things I've kept reading about is this may be related to a Main Relay problem...? I guess a vacuum line issue could be the culprit as well.. gotta get it checked out either way I guess... :confused:

Thanks for the replies. I'll try the 5 second rule on the way home from work and the other this Holiday weekend. Loving this car, sold a 911 M491 Factory Widebody and don't miss it at all.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I'll try the 5 second rule on the way home from work and the other this Holiday weekend. Loving this car, sold a 911 M491 Factory Widebody and don't miss it at all.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Haven't taken any pics yet. I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow. I'll get some taken when I get back. Timing belt/ Water pump was done at 30k in 04. Is it time again?

Weird...I have never, ever had a problem with hot starts. But I have in the past struggled with cold starts, cranking after being in storage for too long, and fatties. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Sound familiar. If it does not crank over the first try, turn the key to the left "off" position for a few secs. Then turn the key to the right one until the radio / instrument panel light come on and wait for a minute or so, then crank it all the way to start her up. (sometime you may need to step on the gas more) That should take care of it.

I don't know what the cause is, but it works.

Last edited:
Sound familiar. If it does not crank over the first try, turn the key to the left "off" position for a few secs. Then turn the key to the right one until the radio / instrument panel light come on and wait for a minute or so, then crank it all the way to start her up. (sometime you may need to step on the gas more) That should take care of it.

It does work, thanks for the help. Wait and she will fire right up!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with our non-carbureted, EFI cars these days, you should never need to manipulate the throttle in order for the car to start. I don't own an NSX, but this doesn't sound right. "Normal" to me is turning the key to the on position and pausing for several seconds, allowing the fuel system to pressurize, then proceeding to start the car.

To the OP, I once had a problem with an Accord not wanting to run at all once it was warmed up. It was a problem with a temp sensor. The computer was being told the engine was still cold, therefore making the fuel/air mixture too rich. This doesn't sound like your problem however.

Good luck!

Haven't taken any pics yet. I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow. I'll get some taken when I get back. Timing belt/ Water pump was done at 30k in 04. Is it time again?

Your good for 3 more years.:smile:

I posted a few pics in the gallery yesterday.

Dude, nice ride. I think the suspension setup is perfect. Are those prodrives. Nice choice.

P8060003.JPG

I should have noticed that they were TSW...since they have nice fat lips. Are they 18/19?

Try to turn the key on & wait about 5 seconds then crank. Hope this helps.

Ah yes, the ol' Honda/Acura starter technique. Every Honda and Acura I've owned in the last decade has required this. =\
Gotta let the fuel pump pressurize the system before starting, it seems.

Back