• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Head Gaskets

Hi all,

Just need some advise on head gaskets. I have almost all my parts to do timing belt/water pump, and clutch (stock). I just the ok from the boss, that I could leave my car on the rack for a few days while I do the job. I was thinking of droping the entire engine/trans assy. Would It be a good idea to replace the head gaskets. It is a 1995 nsx with 95k miles, all stock.

Thanks
George

is there any reason to do the head gasket? you replacing OEM with OEM?

its not a maintaince item.... so if its not broken, dont mess with it unless your changing the HG thickness to reduce compression for boost.

You'll need new head bolts too which is pretty expensive from the factory. Like 18$ a bolt.....

why dont just do the water pump, t belt and pull the tranny for the clutch?

It gets time consuming when you start pulling the engine out.

If you do decide to pull it out, just build the whole engine which your at it for FI.

You could upgrade them to a multi-layer head gasket. SOS sells one as are I believe the 97+ spec are MLS as well. However, unless you plan on significantly increasing the HP of your car (FI for example) I can't think of a reason to do this.

I have never heard of anyone changing the head gaskets on a Honda just for maintenence. I would not do it, unless you are wanting to change the compression. Just like the others said. Just my 2 cents. Timing belt and WP DEFINATELY!!! You may want to adjust the valves and do valve cover gaskets and cam seals while your in there.

Thanks all for the input,

I plan on keeping this car for a while. Not sure of the plans for the mods. I would like to at least do the i/h/e. I have a chance to get parts at a really good deal, so just though it may be a good idea. I have a total of 4 full days to do the work. (hope its enough) I might just pass on the head gaskets for now.

Thanks again
George

gsxrg: I would like to at least do the i/h/e.
DOES THIS MEAN intake/headers/exhaust?

gsxrg: I have a total of 4 full days to do the work. (hope its enough)
HAVE YOU EVER DONE EITHER OF THESE SERVICES BEFORE ON AN NSX?
DO YOU HAVE A FACTORY MANUAL? IT WILL REALLY SAVE YOU A LOT OF TIME, AND MAYBE MONEY TOO. ARE YOU GOING TO DO ALL OF THE WORK YOURSELF or WILL SOMEONE BE HELPING YOU?

gsxrg: I might just pass on the head gaskets for now.
GOOD IDEA. BIG JOB FOR NO REASON, YET.

Have fun, these cars are a blast to work on.
Brad

Thanks all,

I do have the oem shop manual. I work at honda (not acura) for the past 7 years. (tech) Never have worked on a nsx. I have 4 full days, but if more time is needed Ill have to move the car out, till the next weekend. (hope not)
I will probably need a few pointers along the way. :smile:

Thanks all
George

acura is honda.

if you can do a TB for a civic, you can do a TB for a nsx.

im doing one soon, should be fun.

If the car is a early model You might want to consider replacing the lost motion assemblies. I have been wanting to change mine, but am waiting for a another good reason to tear it apart.

Back