• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

hello, new member with a few question's

first off let me say hello and give some info about myself.

hello.

i have been wrenching on car's and motorcycle's since i was about 12..mostly i have worked on building streight line muscle car's. My first car was a 71 dodge dart swinger special which i converted from a 170 hp, 226 slant 6 to a bored out 318 putting down 380 hp. curently my daily driver is a yellow 2004 SRT-4, i am leaveing this one stock while it is under warenty. i am also a co-owner of a regular neon that i will be converting to a 340 - 400 hp SRT-4 as well once the other owner is finished driveing it as his daily driver.

but recently i've been bitten by the sport's car bug, and have started searching for a relitively inexpensive fixer-uper, however 30 + grand is a little too far out of my league for a used secondary project car. the NSX has been at the top of the short list for some time now

however i stumbled on one 52 mile's away that has an amasingly low price tag on it.....it's a 91 with 81,226 mile's with an asking price of $5,500 here's the link.....dirt cheap NSX

now, at that price i expect it needs alot of work, and the car fax say's it has 13 report's on the vin, i will be ordering the full report in the next few day's to see if there is anything serious there.....if i'm finding multiple frame damage and the like then i won't be going any further with this vehicle.

basicly i'm trying to estimate the potential cost of rebuilding this car, if i can keep repair cost's between 10-20 grand i think it will be worth it.

the first thing that will have to change will be to scrap all those nasty body panel's and restore the body back to original, about how much can i expect that to cost? it would at least need a new hood, hopefully the side skirt's and bumper's didn't damage the other body pannel's.

whenever i buy a used vehicle, i do a full engine tear down to clean and inspect all the internal's...provided there is no damage, i will still replace all the seal's, plug's, and other parishible's.....again, what is the average cost for the standard maintence part's for the vehicle? this would be my first import and i expect the NSX has a lower part's avilibility then most.

also are there any common issue's with one's this old that i should look out for?

thanks in advance.

I believe this is a scam also. I inquired about the car and recieved no info on where it was located. I emailed the guy back and forth a few times but got pretty much nothing out of him.

Briank said:
Yes

Hi and good to hear you are intrested in an NSX :smile: Read ALL the information here http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/faq.htm and then come back with questions. :wink:

thank's i found alot of usefull info there, unfortunetly most of it point's to one of these thing's being too far out of my price range, at least while i'm still paying for school anyway's...

it seem's to be the colective opion that this is a scam, i was hopeing that it would have just needed alot of work and TLC, but i'll just have to accept reality for what it is..

i will still be keeping my eye's open for one at the area auction's, so i might still wind up with one for a project car relitiively soon, but for now i'll just have to settle for melting rubber at the dragway....

thank's for the help.

WildmouseX said:
basicly i'm trying to estimate the potential cost of rebuilding this car, if i can keep repair cost's between 10-20 grand i think it will be worth it.

the first thing that will have to change will be to scrap all those nasty body panel's and restore the body back to original, about how much can i expect that to cost?
I realize you're not looking at this scam car, but when shopping wrecked cars... If you don't know how much it will cost to rebuild a car, then you shouldn't be buying it.

I'm not trying to sound like a smart aleck - sorry if I do - but this is a very simple fact. Any wrecked car can be a money pit and can cost way more to buy and rebuild than the car will be worth. If you don't have the experience to understand the costs and to recognize the difference between a good deal and a bad one, then you are risking (and probably throwing away) your time and money by buying.

nsxtasy said:
I realize you're not looking at this scam car, but when shopping wrecked cars... If you don't know how much it will cost to rebuild a car, then you shouldn't be buying it.

I'm not trying to sound like a smart aleck - sorry if I do - but this is a very simple fact. Any wrecked car can be a money pit and can cost way more to buy and rebuild than the car will be worth. If you don't have the experience to understand the costs and to recognize the difference between a good deal and a bad one, then you are risking (and probably throwing away) your time and money by buying.

i have rebulit wrecked car's before. several of my relitive's run shop's so i have alot of resource's and experienced help to make sure i get the job's done right (only useing original part's, matched body pannel's, etc)...i just never have delt with import's before, so that's why i was currious on the priceing...till i'm done with school (which i'm paying for as i go) the only way i think i'll be able to get one is by doing a rebuild over a few year's to break the cost up...so i am keeping my eye's open on salvage's, hopefully it wont be too long before i find something.

the scam vehicle was listed about 54miles away from me, which would put it in the chicago or rockford area's , so i was planning on takeing a look at it before i did anything else, but you all saved me a lot of wasted time.

WildmouseX said:
i have rebulit wrecked car's before. several of my relitive's run shop's so i have alot of resource's and experienced help to make sure i get the job's done right (only useing original part's, matched body pannel's, etc)...i just never have delt with import's before, so that's why i was currious on the priceing...
Great, then you understand what you're in for.

Pricing for buying wrecked cars is going to vary, because there are relatively few of them and each one is unique. There's no way anyone can tell you that any particular car is a good buy or not; it's a crapshoot, if you will. And it's made worse by people without your experience, who think that they can get into a rebuilt at a bargain price, and pay more than the car is worth as a rebuild project.

As for the pricing of rebuilding the car, you presumably know all about the labor involved (and whatever breaks your relative can give you). You can look up the prices of new parts on websites like Delray Acura. Used parts are sometimes available at a much lower price on eBay and from ERZ. In brief, you can expect parts costs for the NSX to be substantially higher than domestic cars.

Good luck.

Back