• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help!!. 24 hours Drive home. Buying a NSX.

Hello. My name is Khoa but call me kevin. <- fob so excuse me for the grammars.

In about a week i will be driving a NSX from South Cali back to South Texas.
therefore i'm here for tips of how to drive it back (this will be my first nsx)

Since the NSX have no bra for the front. i was going to use paint tape and duct tape. to layers the front bumper to prevent rock chips. will that be enough?

And another thing is: Once i purchase the vehicle, i will be able to get insurance on it right the way. but i cant register the vehicle till i get back in states. What should i do about vehicle registration since it will take me about 48 hours to get back in states cause i'm stoping by vegas to rest.

Call your current insurance co - they'll tell you - they'll give you a rider or just set you up - not a big deal. It doesn't have to be registered to get insurance. Glad to hear your driving back - gives you a chance to bond with it! That should be fun. What did you buy - what year and color? I know you'll enjoy it. What are the miles on it?

Now about that "rest" stop in Vegas.......:wink:

Go to DMV with title and insurance and you can get a 5 day temp tag

I just did this 4 days ago. Call insurance company with VIN and activate. Simple enough. I drove the car for 13 hours to get it home. A nice test ride. I just plain and simply didn't follow right behind anyone on the drive home then washed/waxed the front end once I got home. Car was no worse for the wear.

Here is what im picking up
96 nsx-t 10x-K miles.
nsxphim042-2.jpg

nsxphim039-1.jpg

nsxphim038-1.jpg

nsxphim055-1.jpg

Go to Pep Boys and pick up a roll of temporary clear bra material. I am not sure of the name but it is $25 a roll. It is made to put on your car during travel. It has no glue so it peels right off. It is made for exactly what you want to do. It will save your paint with little effort upon your part.

Call your insurance company. I beleive they have to automatically insure you for 30 days after buying a car without you reporting it to them.

I wouldn't worry about a temp registration. Just get a bill of sale. That will get you through AZ as you have 5 days to register it from date of purchase. Probably the same in other states.

Don't put any duct tape on the car - that's a pain to clean off and it might take some paint with it. Just stay a good distance behind people - that's what I did and I drove from Houston to Nashville and I don't think I got a chip. So if you're careful you'll be fine. I have seen folks use painters tape that doesn't have a lot of serious stick to it. It would just look pretty ugly.

Cool looking ride - everyone loves white. Good for you - give us more stats on the car and deal! We all love to share all that if it doesn't bother you or the previous owner. Was it from a prime member?

do what Rob said and don't use duct tape or you will regret it. I use duct tape on my other stuffs and the tape left some sticky residue on stuffs that is very difficult to remove completely.

your car looks almost identical like mine except the wheesl and black interior (mine is tan)

What color was that car originally?

i was going to use paint tape first then cover with duct tape, then paint tape again. so the duct tape can act like a little absorb foam thing.

Car was orginally white.

Insurance companies have leaned back from the automatic coverage for 30 days on a new vehicle based off your current coverage. It's now down to 15 days through State Farm & others. Double check on this with your agent to see what coverage you actually will have. As far as the tags, don't worry about them. I drove 13 hours with no plates. I had proof of current insurance and the bill of sale/title in hand. Got pulled over by the cops in Iowa because there was no plates on the car. I told him I just bought the car, he ran my drivers license and VIN on the NSX and said you're good to go. Just register the car once you get home.

I've made that trip 4 times in the NSX. I never covered the NSX, just don't tailgate and either pass everyone or let everyone pass you and you shouldn't have any problems with rock chips. I know one time I stopped in Tucson and stayed the night and continued at sunrise. Just make sure when you hit El Paso you still have 5 hours of sunlight because the speed limit is 85 and 65 at night. Drive safe, get plenty of rest and if you do drive the 24 hours straight like I did then make sure you have plenty of Pepsi and sunflowers seeds.

I think you can go to Txdot and print out temporary plates to drive to your locale dmv.

Last edited:
thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts.
My trip will be exactly like this.

Wednesday night-flight to cali and look at the car.
Thurday - decide yes or no on car. then tell a friend to flight over cali oneway to drive back with me
Friday - enjoy a day in cali hang out with cousin.
Sat Morning - Drive to las vegas. rest the night there.
Sunday head home early morning.

Check everything on the car before your veture back here to TX. It's a long drive across that desert in an unfamiliar car.

Any reason to *not* just buy a bra for this trip? Personally, I would never drive this kind of distance in the NSX (esp if it was unknown), but I know that is a personal thing.

Layers and layers of tape on the nose though? That I am almost certain 99.9% of folks are going to say "hell no!" to :D

thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts.
My trip will be exactly like this.

Wednesday night-flight to cali and look at the car.
Thurday - decide yes or no on car. then tell a friend to flight over cali oneway to drive back with me
Friday - enjoy a day in cali hang out with cousin.
Sat Morning - Drive to las vegas. rest the night there.
Sunday head home early morning.

I dought you will rest in Vegas

how much is 5 days temp plate? from cali to texas?

If the California plates have current registration, then you can just drive it to your destination, without needing anything temporary. In California, the plates go with the car , unless there are personalized. Carry the registration with you and present it if needed. I would also have something that shows you bought the car (because the registration will not match your ID). Totally legal to drive a car with current tags/registration across the country, just like travelers do.

Change the oil...check all fluids.....Have a reliable mechanic check the car for leaks, pressure, etc....

Watch oil consumption and tire wear.
I drove a Pantera from San Diego to Pensacola in 36h:15m.

At one gas stop I noted substantial low oil...so I just checked it at each fill up. Additionally, my soft Perelli P7s had never seen that kind of mileage and a slight rear alignment issue wore (out) the tires in 1.5 days.

might be too late for you since it seems to be only mailorder, but check out a product called 'tracwrap'....it's a 7 mil thick temporary plastic wrap. drove my '06 NFR S2000 300 miles home yesterday and only thought about the bugs/rocks after the fact. it's about $100 for 40'x10" roll. haven't used it myself, but it sounds like a better idea than blue tape.

Back