• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HELP! 91 NSX won't start, no power to fuel pump

My NSX won't start. Out of the clear blue sky, the fuel pump stopped turning on. I changed the main relay thinking that was the problem, and still no start. The relay clicks but my fuel pump still is getting no juice. Please help me!!!

I had the same thing happen a few months back. Check your ignition. On mine, the car would start than die right away. We changed out the main relay and came close to changing out the cpu. Turned out that when I started the car the car the ignition would disengage. Most likely your problem. Hoped it helps.

I had the same thing happen a few months back. Check your ignition. On mine, the car would start than die right away. We changed out the main relay and came close to changing out the cpu. Turned out that when I started the car the car the ignition would disengage. Most likely your problem. Hoped it helps.

What should I check on the ignition? A fuse, a specific wire on the harness? Any detail you could provide me with would be a big help. Thanks. Anyone else know what it could be?

Remember K.I.S.S.? When it happened to me, it was a loose battery cable:redface:

does the car start then turn off? Or does it not start at all?

edit: If it starts then turns off, then most likely its the ignition box in the driver foot well. If it doesn't start at all its probably a loose battery or dead fuse. The only way to check if its the ignition is to swap out the box with a good ignition.

Last edited:
does the car start then turn off? Or does it not start at all?

edit: If it starts then turns off, then most likely its the ignition box in the driver foot well. If it doesn't start at all its probably a loose battery or dead fuse. The only way to check if its the ignition is to swap out the box with a good ignition.

The car doesn't start at all. Used the shop manual and narrowed it down to the fuel pump relay not getting power or something. Changed the main and the fuel pump relays, nothing. The fuel pump relay is not clicking but the main is, so it's something with the power going to the fuel pump relay. Somebody help me PLEASE!!!!! I'm so frustrated.

Measure the voltage at the fuel pump :wink:

How do I do that? Do I actually have to drop the gas tank and go to the pump or do you know where I can catch it off a harness and what kind of meter do I measure it with? I've been using a test light to test everything to this point.

Id bet it was the ignition box. If you know of another nsx person that can switch out your FPR and if it still didn't work than it is definatley your ignition box. Call Shad at Driving ambitions and he can tell you more. good luck.

Mine did that few weeks ago...
I checked the main relay, the fuel pump relay, the resistor and the pump... all
was OK, the car cranked but no start...

I towed the car to a Honda dealer and he replaced the main relay (200 euros :eek: ). I told him I checked it and it was fine... but he changed it all the same.

The car started for few days, but after, same thing... car cranks but no start.

It ended to be the alarm going bad...
But in my car there is 2 alarms so we cut one, the other is still working well...

There is a fuel injector resistor inside the engine bay that would cause this. It is on the pass. side, has a bunch of ribs and is approx. 2"X4".

I checked the resistor. The shop manual says if you unplug the resistor and jump the two resistor wires and the car still doesn't start, then the resistor is fine. I did that like 3 times already.

How do I do that? Do I actually have to drop the gas tank and go to the pump or do you know where I can catch it off a harness and what kind of meter do I measure it with? I've been using a test light to test everything to this point.

A test light should be fine for testing you should have power on both sides of the fuel pump resistor plug. If you have power the fuel pump should be running. Have you checked for fuel pressure at the fuel filter.

A test light should be fine for testing you should have power on both sides of the fuel pump resistor plug. If you have power the fuel pump should be running. Have you checked for fuel pressure at the fuel filter.

I'm going to double check but I don't think I have power to both sides of the resistor plug. What do I do if this is the case? I jumped the pump from the main relay harness like the shop manual said to make sure the pump isn't bad and it came on, so the resistor plug seems to be where the problem is from what I can tell. Why might there not be power there?

I'm going to double check but I don't think I have power to both sides of the resistor plug. What do I do if this is the case? I jumped the pump from the main relay harness like the shop manual said to make sure the pump isn't bad and it came on, so the resistor plug seems to be where the problem is from what I can tell. Why might there not be power there?

With the resistor unpluged you should only have power on both sides when the fuel pump relay is on. The relay only comes on for a short time when you switch on the ignition, at high RPM and when cranking. If the resistor or the resistor circuit is bad the car will start but will die as soon as the key is released.

While were on the subject, where is the fuel pump relay? I've changed the main as a preventative maint. and would like to change the FP relay as well.

Fuel_pump_relay.JPG

Hey,
I almost have the same problem. When I crank I have to wait a while for it start. Could it be the ignition box or a relay? I have a car alarm of you think it could be grounding part. How much is an ignition box anyways..Thanks in advance.

Back