• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help, Bose speaker/amp repair

Has anyone used BoseRepair.com in FL to have the Nsx speaker/amps fixed? Their website quote is $89 a speaker/amp. Or can you reccomend a good place? My local Acura dealer wants $979 for Passenger speaker & amp assembly installed.. <---Ummm no thanks!

A-Auto,

My passenger door amp blew 2 weeks before NSXPO and I didn't feel like driving out to Wisconsin in total silence.

I didn't want to risk not having repaired units back in time for the event and I didn't want the car sitting with the door panels off while I waited for them either, so I ordered replacement amps from M and R. I got their info from the FAQ I believe.
http://mnrelectronics.com/ampoprepbost.html

I got the units promptly, but when I called the actual manufacturer (Amp Options) with a simple question, they informed me that they didn't recommend their amps for the NSX as is.

The Amp Options technician kindly told me how I could modify the unit in order to work for the NSX. He told me I need to splice a 300 mfd, non-polarized capacitor into the positive lead of the speaker. Otherwise, I would have WAY too much bass.

Well, it was tough finding those capacitors (although I do have source if anyone is interested, in fact I ordered extra if anyone needs them). I had to settle for three 100 mfd caps soldered together in parallel and then placed inline with the positive speaker lead.

I replaced both units in this manner and I guess it sounds OK. I think, however, that the original Bose factory amps still sounded a bit better.

Of course, I now have both original Bose amp boards out of the car and can send them to be repaired/upgraded at my leisure if I want.

I mention this story only to inform those who might be tempted by the M&R - AmpOptions product. I didn't see this capacitor info or issue in the FAQ. It's not that I wouldn't recommend this solution, but you need to know about the caps.

If I had to do it over...and didn't mind my car sitting for a week or so with the door panels off, I guess my advice would be to find a reputable place to upgrade your original Bose NSX amp boards with upgraded components.

Otherwise, you can try the route I took.

-Jim

PS: Take your time and be careful with the door panel removal and replacement process. And remember, when your replacing the screws in the door handle area, the shiny screw goes on the dark part and the black screw goes on the shiny part. Unless you're paying attention when you remove them, it's easy to think the black screw goes on the black part of the bracket and so on.

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

SNDSOUL,

What year NSX are these units from?

-Jim

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 01 November 2001).]

Thanks for the info! Are the units the same for all years?

------------------
We are top 3 in the World for NSX Porterfield Pad Sales!
92 NSX White #745
91 NSX Black #644 sold

I remember reading somewhere, perhaps in the FAQ, that later models of NSX have upgraded components from Bose.

In any event, it appears that the problem for the older cars is worse as time goes on and as perhaps temps and volumes levels increase.

We might not yet know if the problem has been fixed for the newer cars.

-Jim

------------------

If you are looking for replacement speakers for your NSX, you can try LA JOLLA AUDIO in La Jolla, CA. They sell rebuilt units in exchange for your old door speakers for $130, and a rebuilt subwoofer for $250.
This was about 3-4 months ago when I replaced my speakers and subwoofer. They do installation for a fee.
The address for LA JOLLA AUDIO: 5161 Santa Fe Street Suites A & B, San Diego, CA 92109,
tel # (858) 581-6545

[This message has been edited by NSXKRZY (edited 03 November 2001).]

[This message has been edited by NSXKRZY (edited 03 November 2001).]

Back