• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help. Can't open door from outside.

It happened yesterday. I tried to open driver side door and there was no click sound that I always here when I pull the handle. I have to go thru the passenger side and open the door from inside. I've read one thread on this here but it does not help much. If I were to replace the parts which one is it?

The first thing is to remove the inner door panel to look inside and see what is wrong.

The linkage between #'s 1, 6 and 9 looks like the rod that comes down from the outside handle. It fits into a slot in the actual latching mechanism. If it came out, you need to put it back in with one of the above parts. I think they hay have changed over time. My '91 has a plastic insert with a plastic and metal washer. It's nearly impossible to get your hand in there and put these on, but I got it somehow -- wish I could give better advice on that. It makes more sense after you look at it.

If it's still connected, but the rod isn't moving down when you pull the outside handle, then something must be broken in the outside handle assemble. You can try to fix it or replace at $500+.

Jin, just went through this. That being said, my problem was the small plastic clip, collar and washer that lock the latch rod to the opener mechanism in the door. The part was like 8 or 15 dollars from Acuraautomotiveparts.org and its hard to find on the schematic. I will take a pic of the part and give you the part number when I get home from work tonight. My passenger side one randomly went out and the driver side went out 30 mins later before I got home so I was "locked" out of my car. Had to call AAA to pop the door open.

Thanks all for the advices. My mechanic said it was the plastic bit that got eroded and told me the quickest way is the replace the mechanism. Upon getting the parts he may have to remove the power window to get full access inside. Very little room to work on. At the moment depending on luck the door may open if the day is wet or dry. If it's wet the door will be difficult to open maybe due to the sticky weather strips. I'll await for part number from synidicate. Syn, did you solve your door problem?

Maybe mine failed because I use my car daily. Still saving to get Honda Jazz.

Jin, So sorry about not posting last night. I got home really late and to be honest, forgot to post these pics. If your latch rod is not attached to the door opener, then you have the same problem I did and should NOT pay anyone anything to do this as it is very simple. Just take the door panel off and stick your hand back there.

This is the part number of the parts in my hand in the first pic. It includes a white snap clip, a yellow snap collar and a metal washer.
04721-SL0-000 BUSH SET, FR. DOOR LOCK $5.59 from Acuraautomotiveparts.org

Attachments

• latchrod_pieces.jpg
    latchrod_pieces.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,457
  • latchrod2.jpg
    latchrod2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 940
  • latchrod.jpg
    latchrod.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 942
Last edited:
Really appreciate it syndicate. I will get one from my local dealer. Hopefully that is the problem. Thank you. :smile:

Jin, So sorry about not posting last night. I got home really late and to be honest, forgot to post these pics. If your latch rod is not attached to the door opener, then you have the same problem I did and should NOT pay anyone anything to do this as it is very simple. Just take the door panel off and stick your hand back there.

This is the part number of the parts in my hand in the first pic. It includes a white snap clip, a yellow snap collar and a metal washer.

I am having the same problem... sort of.

I can twist the key, but the door only opens an inch. Then I have to twist it again and then it will open all the way.

If I use the FOB, it works fine every time.

Viper, that sounds more like the lock rod that goes from the lock cylinder inside the door to the latch release. If you pull the door panel off, have someone turn the key and inspect the movement from the inside. You will likely find one of two problems:
Either the rod from the lock cylinder to the latch release is loose or not connected
-or-
the latchrod problem is similar to Jin's. see my pics above.

Another possibility, though unlikely, is the lock cylinder itself might be loose. I wish I was in FL to help you out. This seems like an easy fix.

The lock works fine when the fob is activated because the lock solenoid is directly attached to the door release mechanism and does not require rods and the like to operate. I hope this helps.
Jay

I had mine replaced recently. Sometimes the door can be opened from the outside and sometimes it does not. The mechanism is new. Please help.

I had mine replaced recently. Sometimes the door can be opened from the outside and sometimes it does not. The mechanism is new. Please help.

When you say "the mechanism is new", what mechanism are you speaking of? The only thing that I think would cause this problem was the small plastic pieces that held the lock rod into the mechanism. If they aren't locked together correctly, they wont hold the rod in place.

When you say "the mechanism is new", what mechanism are you speaking of? The only thing that I think would cause this problem was the small plastic pieces that held the lock rod into the mechanism. If they aren't locked together correctly, they wont hold the rod in place.

Hi Syndicate.

I have the new door latch assembly bought. I have a mechanic do the install. I am not sure if the three screws on the outside if too tight can cause the latch to become stuck. I will try to go to a body shop to get it fixed. I just can't believe the new one can't work perfectly.

They have to go in a particular order. I remember putting removing this in the past, and the handle did not working properly because I mixed up the order. I dont remember which way it goes.

They have to go in a particular order. I remember putting removing this in the past, and the handle did not working properly because I mixed up the order. I dont remember which way it goes.

Good info. Can I find it in the NSX manual?

Thanks sooooo much for posting this! I'm disassembling my door to fix the slow window issue and damaged the snap clip on removal. I couldn't find the part number using the online diagrams. The picture with the part number is just what I needed! Thanks!

Thanks sooooo much for posting this! I'm disassembling my door to fix the slow window issue and damaged the snap clip on removal. I couldn't find the part number using the online diagrams. The picture with the part number is just what I needed! Thanks!

[emoji3]

Back