• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help! Car Key Won't Turn to Start Engine!

I was trying to start the engine this morning, and after sticking the car key in, it wouldn't turn to start the engine! WTF? The battery is not dead. I can still turn on the headlights and everything, but the key is just stuck. It wouldn't turn at all.

Anyone have this problem before and know how to fix this?

Is it cuz my key is too worn out? Or something different?

I have a 97 Auto with 115K miles. Haven't had any major problems. Please help! Thanks in advance!

If thats the case, your key cylinder is bad. Might have to replace it, hope it doesnt come down to it. Two diff key. One to start, one to open doors and trunk.

Take it out and take a look. It' not that complicated to remove it. Granted, my car is apart pretty much all the time so it's easy for me lol.

Try squirting a little WD-40 or BreakFree into the lock. Sometimes a tumbler can get hung up if the lock is dirty or dry which will prevent it from turning. Also since is an automatic transmission, make sure the car is in "Park". Some cars have an interlock that prevent the key from turning if the transmission isn't in park.

FWIW I had to replace my lock cylinder at about 110K miles.

edit - or maybe it was something else. I kept the same key.

Last edited:
thanks for all your comments guys! i was so freaked out, but i got it to turn!!!

i called ramon and niguel motors. shout out to him again. he said he's seen and heard this problem before. just turn the key simultaneously with the wheel. sometimes, when pulling out the car key too quickly after turning off the engine, it might do that and get sensitive. so, after a few tries it worked!!! hope this helps someone who comes across the same problem.

glad to hear that little man helped you out.....you should get him a telephone book for him as a gift. He needs to change his seat booster soon lolz

thanks for all your comments guys! i was so freaked out, but i got it to turn!!!

i called ramon and niguel motors. shout out to him again. he said he's seen and heard this problem before. just turn the key simultaneously with the wheel. sometimes, when pulling out the car key too quickly after turning off the engine, it might do that and get sensitive. so, after a few tries it worked!!! hope this helps someone who comes across the same problem.

Same thing happened to me. Powdered graphite fixed it. I think a tumbler was binding.

Back