• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help! E-brake light stays on.

My e-brake light stays on. Seems like its stuck and it automatically disables my TCS and my ABS so I'm driving around with 3 lights on. Any idea what is wrong? Thanks.

AcuNSXspD said:
My e-brake light stays on. Seems like its stuck and it automatically disables my TCS and my ABS so I'm driving around with 3 lights on. Any idea what is wrong? Thanks.

It's a simple contact switch under the console connected to the brake lever. Sounds like something's amiss in there. Engaging the brake lever then releasing it several times quickly doesn't free it? If not then you're going to have to remove the console and take a look.

Make sure you search for threads on how to do this correctly. It's very easy to scratch the top of the console below the air vents if not done very carefully I'm told.

Try resetting your ECU. (unplug the battery overnight)

Try resetting your ABS. ( pull the fuses overnight) This problem can occur when you drive with your E-brake on. (especially backwards!)

Check your brakes. Sometimes worn pads and rotors will throw a brake code and then your ABS will disable as a result.

I've pulled my e-brake up and down trying to see if it was sticking but the brake light never turned off...so i took the center console compartment off and looked at the e-brake cable and thought that maybe it was too tight...so i loosened it to the point that its has to be pulled all the way up to engage but the e-brake light still wouldn't turn off.

Jesse,

This is an electrical issue with the e-brake curcuit. If you have electrical experience you can trouble shoot it, or take it in and have someone else address it. Your ABS and TCS was designed to disable if these systems think the e-brake is on. That is what dainese51 was pointing to in the reference above.

No need to reset the ECU, or ABS, that is not the issue. Actually it is quite simple, the switch sets the light in if it thinks the brake lever is up. Digital meter will tell you what is going on:).

HTH,
LarryB

:confused: Im still missing how to fix this problem...I read the FAQ and all it says is how to disengage the ABS

Lady Six said:
:confused: Im still missing how to fix this problem...I read the FAQ and all it says is how to disengage the ABS

I'm with you...:biggrin: i still dont know how to fix the problem...i guess i'll take it to go get checked out at the acura dealership...

Before you can fix it, you need to troubleshoot it. If you do not have the skills to troubleshoot electrical systems, you will need to take it to someone that has electrical troubleshooting experience.

The service manual can be downloaded from the front page of this website and it has all the schematics for the car. Again, if you are not into electrical systems, probably best to have someone who does look at it. You can do a ton of damage if you do not understand these systems.

With that said there are two reasons the e-brake indicator can come on, e-brake up OR low fluid in the reservior. Have a look up front:).

HTH,
LarryB

Try this. Release the handbrake and then start the engine. It had happened to me many times.

AcuNSXspD said:
I've pulled my e-brake up and down trying to see if it was sticking but the brake light never turned off...so i took the center console compartment off and looked at the e-brake cable and thought that maybe it was too tight...so i loosened it to the point that its has to be pulled all the way up to engage but the e-brake light still wouldn't turn off.

It's not the actual cable that engages the brake that is the culprit. It's a very simple little switch attached to the mechanism. I've attached an image from the service manual to help you out. If you disconnect the plug from the switch the dash light should go out with the e-brake engaged. If it stays lit then there are other issues.

Attachments

• ebrake.jpg
    ebrake.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 114
Back