• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help - Horrible screeching noise

Hi Guys.
My car has started making a horrible intermittent noise from the front end somewhere. It is very difficult to describe but it is a sort of staccato screeching sound, a bit similar to a slipping fan belt.

Its not as though there is an awful lot under the bonnet that could cause this noise which lasts for about 10 seconds or so then stops. It only seems to do it when driving, I cant get it to do it while I am looking under the bonnet so I am unable to pinpoint exactly.

The only other thing I can tell you is that it started today after I had to break sharply to avoid someone pulling out of a side turning and being wet this morning, the ABS cut in for split second.
The previous owner said it has made this noise before on occasion but it hasn't done it in the last 2 weeks since I have owned the car.
I have no power steering so that is one less thing it can be and it is definitely coming from under the bonnet area somewhere. I am 99.9% certain its not from the wheels.
I have a 200 mile round trip planned for Saturday and am a bit worried.
Has anyone got any ideas please?
Thanks
Martin UK.

Don't think its brake shims or anything to do with the wheels. As I said, I am pretty certain the noise is coming from under the hood somewhere. Thanks for the suggestion though.

In terms of the ABS, thanks for the link to the other thread. Although it doesn't sound like the exact same issue, it has given me a very good idea.

If I pull the ABS fuse as suggested in that thread, it will either eliminate or identify the ABS unit as the cause.

Thanks guys. Nice one.

Just in a lark. What about the bearing on the electric fan. If it's gone dry it would squeal like that and only last a few seconds before it shut down due to overheat...

Just a thought.

Do you have an ABS yellow light on the dash?

If not and the noise is now quiet, it was your ABS system pressure pump. Nothing to worry about.

If the pump runs for over two minutes and you get a yellow ABS indicator on the dash, then you will need to address it, other wise it is OK.

When you activated the ABS, as you mentioned, the pump just restored the pressure.

HTH,
LarryB

From talking to the guys on the NSXCB, I think it probably is the pressure pump.
Apparently, some cars make more noise than others.
Phew! Thought it was a serious problem for a while.

Thanks to all who responded to my post.

Regards
Martin.

Back