• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help in Houston...

Hello Prime,
I've been lurking around for a month or so as I started to get more serious about purchasing a NSX in the next year. Lots of info here! :smile:

I've been looking for something that is in good shape, with service records, etc... you know, all the good things you guys suggest. However, I'm not apposed to putting in some work, which lead me to the car below...

Anyways, some friends found a damaged 1991 Sebring Silver NSX in Houston that has peaked my interest. It's listed on Autotrader, I called up the owner yesterday to get some information.

-he purchased it at auction (salvage title)
-there are no service records
-he had it inspected and they said all the belts looked good (I'm taking this with a grain of salt, so TB/WP would need to be done)
-has drivers side front fender, door, and rear quarter panel, side mirror damage (see pics)
-misc rock chips
-front spoiler looks to be missing
-passenger window does go down (replacement provided)
-driver seat is worn and needs repair

I asked him to provide me the VIN#, haven't heard back yet.

Does anyone have information on this NSX? Previous owner on Prime maybe?

I'm looking to see if someone in Houston would like to go check the car out for me, there is only so much one can see in pictures, and I don't have a NSX to notice the little things that are out of place on the car.

So anyone what to go look at a NSX? :biggrin:

Last edited:
I'm not wired into current NSX prices like a lot of the members on here but at $16k for that car I would RUN AWAY. For the cost to fix the damage and do the needed maint you would be better off buying a nice 91 without a salvage title.

I've only been looking for the last month or so, from what I have seen, 1991's with similar mileage with TB/WP and records seem to go for $25-30k... versions without records that need work seem to be in the $22-27k.

Maybe the first question should be how much does a salvage title effect the value? This car in particular is a salvage title from what I would consider minor damage. Having pictures of the original damage, and the repairs would probable help any future sale.

If I can source a used front fender and rear quarter panel (in Sebring would be awesome) the repair costs are greatly reduced. That leaves repair/replacement of the door and any needed painting.

1991's with similar mileage with TB/WP and records seem to go for $25-30k... versions without records that need work seem to be in the $22-27k.

I think you have you answer here. At 16k, how much are you willing to spend on it to make it "road worthy"? I would estimate 10k especially with the door and qp damage, and that this price point, you still have a salvaged title and no history...

I think you have you answer here. At 16k, how much are you willing to spend on it to make it "road worthy"? I would estimate 10k especially with the door and qp damage, and that this price point, you still have a salvaged title and no history...
I wasn't thinking anywhere near that amount for repairs, if that is the case, I agree, this NSX is a no-go for me.

Used Front Fender - $400
Used Rear Quarter - $500 (
Used Door (or shell) - $500 (I see full doors w/o interior panel in the Prime Market for $500-1000)
Used Gas Cap Door - $50

I'll call it $2000 after shipping for parts, and figure in another $2500 for paint. So $4500 for repairs and $1500 for TB/WP.... so $6000 to get it road ready, but it would have a salvage title.

In order to do that, the owner would have to come down on the price in order to make it a worth while venture... at the current price it's not any better than a clean title version.

I'm going to add these images from the auction for future searches, I know I appreciate it when I come upon these...

Attachments

• 9130347_1_I.jpeg
    9130347_1_I.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 9130347_2_I.jpeg
    9130347_2_I.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 54
  • 9130347_3_I.jpeg
    9130347_3_I.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 9130347_4_I.jpeg
    9130347_4_I.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 9130347_5_I.jpeg
    9130347_5_I.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 9130347_6_I.jpeg
    9130347_6_I.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 59
  • 9130347_7_I.jpeg
    9130347_7_I.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 9130347_8_I.jpeg
    9130347_8_I.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 9130347_9_I.jpeg
    9130347_9_I.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 9130347_10_I.jpeg
    9130347_10_I.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 41
This is all assuming there's nothing else wrong with the car, and without any service history it's just best guesses as to when and what was replaced.

I also find it odd that, even with the salvage history, the previous owner didn't buy it back and fix it if it were that monetarily advantageous to do so. Maybe just didn't want the rebuilt title at all.

There's fewer and fewer NSXs on the road nowadays, so a fixer upper like this is awesome just to keep one more on the road...but only if you love that car.
I've heard it once or twice here, but the saying goes "if you can't afford a nice example of an NSX, you REALLY can't afford a bad example."

Some of these neglected cars do need some love though. They just need the right owner that doesn't care about its history.

I've heard it once or twice here, but the saying goes "if you can't afford a nice example of an NSX, you REALLY can't afford a bad example."
I tend to believe that is a very true statement.

The more I breakdown what it will cost for this the more I think I just want one that has a good history. If I had the means to paint and repair it myself it would be different.

Also, I spoke with the seller again, and he isn't will to part with the car for any less than $16k, so this is a no-go for me.

And the search continues. :cool:

No worries. You can find fairly nice examples in the lower to mid 20's range with history, a clean title, and possibly less mileage. You'll know exactly what you're getting.

This car is a better fit for someone who will spare no expense to refurbish the car beyond what it will take to repair the exterior because there's bound to be some nagging maintenance items to attend to.

I live in the Houston area if you still want someone to go look at this. Just to add my two cents in. Unless you are doing the work yourself. It is going to cost you far more than you imagine. You will not be able to paint sections of the car, a full repaint will be required. Engine work? well just read some of the horror stories on this site to figure out who you can trust and what that will cost.
Where are you? transporting it to you will cost 500 to 2500 bucks. And chances are very good that it will get more damage during transit. Especially if it does not start and drive up onto the transporter.
Good luck in your search.

I live in the Houston area if you still want someone to go look at this. Just to add my two cents in. Unless you are doing the work yourself. It is going to cost you far more than you imagine. You will not be able to paint sections of the car, a full repaint will be required. Engine work? well just read some of the horror stories on this site to figure out who you can trust and what that will cost.
Where are you? transporting it to you will cost 500 to 2500 bucks. And chances are very good that it will get more damage during transit. Especially if it does not start and drive up onto the transporter.
Good luck in your search.
Thanks for the offer, but I don't want to waste your time.

I'm located in WI, transport of the vehicle is going to apply pretty much anywhere I buy it from, there aren't exactly too many of them around here. =) Thanks for the heads up though.

I was looking at the same car as a DD beater. But I don't think that it's worth more than $10k in its current condition without knowing any maintenance, needing new body panels, other body panels needing repair, figuring out what the issue is with other window, and the owner not having any knowledge of the car's history.

I'll see where the owner goes with the price. Is there any way to see what price was paid on that insurance auction?

Nick

I was looking at the same car as a DD beater. But I don't think that it's worth more than $10k in its current condition without knowing any maintenance, needing new body panels, other body panels needing repair, figuring out what the issue is with other window, and the owner not having any knowledge of the car's history.

I'll see where the owner goes with the price. Is there any way to see what price was paid on that insurance auction?

Nick
Like I mentioned earlier, at this point*, he wasn't willing to drop below $16k with my conversation with him. I brought up $13k and he basically laughed at me...

*he hasn't had the car long and might be holding out, if it doesn't sell he could lower the price in the future though...

Like I mentioned earlier, at this point*, he wasn't willing to drop below $16k with my conversation with him. I brought up $13k and he basically laughed at me...

*he hasn't had the car long and might be holding out, if it doesn't sell he could lower the price in the future though...

Thanks for the info on the $13k.
Yeah, when buying a car to flip, time is not on the seller's side.

Nick

The seller is an idiot. Everyone else will be laughing when he is begging for buyers at $13k and having a hard time selling. A rough, high mileage, salvage title car, that still needs work done, is not worth hardly anything at all. I would look at it as a track car and not fix any bodywork at all, but that is about it.

The seller is an idiot. Everyone else will be laughing when he is begging for buyers at $13k and having a hard time selling. A rough, high mileage, salvage title car, that still needs work done, is not worth hardly anything at all. I would look at it as a track car and not fix any bodywork at all, but that is about it.

grow up you sound like your 12 years old calling people idiots when you have no idea how salvage market works, if the seller is such an idiot then why did that car sell in two weeks????

Last edited:

well it sold for way more then 13 at auction plus shipping and fees, i dont think it was a bad deal for someone that has a body shop or works in one

Last edited:
well it sold for way more then 13 at auction plus shipping and fees, but its sold so dont matter now
good for him, glad he sold it...

For someone that has the means to fix the car, and wants to keep it, I'm sure they could have a great car for less money. If you are someone like me that doesn't have the means to do body work and paint, and need to pay someone to do it, the price was too close to what I could source a clean title NSX.

Kinda bummed that it sold. It would have been a good car for $10-13k.

well it sold for way more then 13 at auction plus shipping and fees, i dont think it was a bad deal for someone that has a body shop or works in one
It's not a bad deal until you compare it to some of the $20,000 cars with clean titles.

Nick

Back