• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help me choose the right double din head unit!

Hi guys!

Most of you have much more car audio experience than myself, so I would like your opinion on what double din head unit I should purchase.

Requirements:

-Reverse tilt
-Play audio from usb storage
-Be used with the stock Bose amps

Bonus

-GPS / NAV
-Dial for volume control rather than buttons
-Affordable
-Bluetooth

I do not mind purchasing a used unit, so it does not have to currently be in production. Old is fine, as long as it meets my requirements.
Is Kenwood the only manufacturer that offers reverse tilt?
I have been thinking about the Kenwood DDX8019, but some reviews say the menu setup is a bit "clunky"?

What do you have to recommend?

The current ones that just came out at CES seem to all fit what you want. The ones with the capacitive screens are the best for glare, but are the highest of all double dins at the moment.

Look on http://www.sonicelectronix.com/ and compare. JVC and Pioneer are my two favorites. I am honestly not a fan of Kenwood due to their start up time, and sluggish touch feedback at times also.

I had a pioneer appradio 3 w/ dvd in my last car. It was perfect for everything I needed. You can mirror android/iOS phones to use their GPS capability through Google Maps, or other apps. I could also load movies, watch youtube videos, pandora, etc etc

It is also very inexpensive relative to other solutions out there.

I have the NEX8000 in my car and love it. Very responsive crisp screen and sounds great. I run audison amps, Hertz speakers, and a pioneer sub though.

I have an older Kenwood DNX8120 with HD radio module
The above comments are spot on, slow to start, unresponsive touch screen
I don't know if the newer models are any better
Good luck to you

If an iPhone fanbois, Pioneer NEX series with upcoming carplay firmware update.

Do you have one. If so which model. I have been thinking of upgrading my AVIC with one of these just not sure which one to get. According to the spec 2 of them have motorized display with angle setting. Do you know if it can be angle down to fight the glare when top is off.

Do you have one. If so which model. I have been thinking of upgrading my AVIC with one of these just not sure which one to get. According to the spec 2 of them have motorized display with angle setting. Do you know if it can be angle down to fight the glare when top is off.

I'm waiting for firmware release before I purchase the NEX and retro a spare console I have. I'm rocking a nexus 7 in navpod but not feeling if. It will be sold once the NEX FW released.

I don't believe they have a reverse tilt function.

I'm waiting for firmware release before I purchase the NEX and retro a spare console I have. I'm rocking a nexus 7 in navpod but not feeling if. It will be sold once the NEX FW released.

I don't believe they have a reverse tilt function.

Have you done the research on them. Is there one particular model you would recommend.

which faceplate/trip panels did yall get? I'm looking into getting a double DIN also, but can't find any good trip pieces to fit everything. If I can't find anything good, I may just end up getting the GROM unit and route the connecters into the glovebox

Back