• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HELP...new wheels shaking!?!?!?

:frown: :frown:
Ok, so I got her (91' NSX) out of the body shop with her new wheels.

Foose Speedsters...CHROME:)biggrin:BLING BLING:biggrin:)
18x7.5 front
19x9.5 rear

She had 15/16 stock wheel set up before.

Well, after about 40mph it feels like I'm going into "hyper gallactic:tongue:g-force drive"...shaking badly about 3/4" left and right on the steering wheel.

The body shop says it needs an alignment, because the wheels have already been balanced before being shipped out, because there are weights on the back of them:confused: Could it be they were not balanced correctly?

Any suggestions?:frown::confused::frown::confused:

re-check the wheels. they may have gotten bent in shipping

btcog82 said:
:frown: :frown:
Ok, so I got her (91' NSX) out of the body shop with her new wheels.

Well, after about 40mph it feels like I'm going into "hyper gallactic:tongue:g-force drive"...shaking badly about 3/4" left and right on the steering wheel.

The body shop says it needs an alignment,

First check the "no cost" stuff:

1. Check the tire pressure. Too low or mismatched tire pressure in the fronts can cause shaking.

2. Check to see if those Foose wheels are hub-centric - which means they rest on the hubs of the wheels. If they aren't then you need to use the lug studs to center the wheels. Basically tighten down the lug nuts to almost snug and then as you tighten further, make sure the lug nuts are centering the wheel/tire on the studs.

Then you can check the stuff you have to pay for:

You mention "body shop". If any front end work was done, then yes, you will probably need to have the alignment checked/adjusted. In most cases wheel shaking is a wheel balance issue not an alignment one, but it doesn't hurt to get the alignment checked since you just put new tires on.

I'd rebalance the wheels. I doubt the alignment would be the problem as you didn't have it before with the old wheels (or did you?). As mentioned above, check if the wheels were bent/damaged during shipping. You should be able to inspect the wheels during the rebalance.

I had some snow wheels and tires from Tirerack that had a similar issue. They told me to take them to a tire shop and have them “broken down”. Basically this was removing the tire from the wheel then replacing it properly. The “heavy” part of the wheel is supposed to be on the opposite the “heavy” side of the tire. Then have them rebalanced. Tirerack picked up the tab and they worked just fine after the adjustment. I believe this is that the other posts here are saying.

Keep in mind that rebalancing means removing old weights. Deepening on how they are attached, they could leave residue or damage to be removed. So I would check them before putting them back on closely.

^What he said and if that does not work, try wheel weights and a have them re-balanced just in case. Your other options are that some of your bushings are gone, that will cause some shaking in your drive. Where exactly do you feel the shaking? all four corners?

slight bend..."don't worry"...should I?

AWESOME:wink:
Thanks, for all your input everyone!
She was in the body shop for her new bodykit...no damage or accidents or anything like that thank God!
I'm looking into the hubcentric rings now.

We did use 15mm spacers w/ extended studs, could I still use the hubcentric rings??

The shop now says the right rear is slightly bent and they rebalanced the wheels, they said that may have been the problem.

:confused:They said not to worry about the "slight bend," anyone ever hear that:confused:?

I have not picked her up yet, but they assure me she rides smooth as ever now.

:rolleyes: we'll see when I pick her up

Right rear what? Wheel?
LOL, what do you think a race driver would say if his crew chief told him a wheel was bent, but not to worry.:eek:

The risk of a wheel not being true is precisely why I only offered $1K for a set of zanrdi wheels from a salvage dealer, where the car in question had flipped off a transport truck. The salvage dealer tried to tell me that the only thing that was wrong with them was a bit of rash from a tow driver.

Re: slight bend..."don't worry"...should I?

Are the spacers hub centric ??

If not then I think you have found your problem.

btcog82 said:
We did use 15mm spacers w/ extended studs, could I still use the hubcentric rings??

Is there a "heavy" side of a tire??? :confused:

The "heavy" side of the wheel is the side with the spokes I presume..

whealy said:
I had some snow wheels and tires from Tirerack that had a similar issue. They told me to take them to a tire shop and have them “broken down”. Basically this was removing the tire from the wheel then replacing it properly. The “heavy” part of the wheel is supposed to be on the opposite the “heavy” side of the tire. Then have them rebalanced. Tirerack picked up the tab and they worked just fine after the adjustment. I believe this is that the other posts here are saying.

Keep in mind that rebalancing means removing old weights. Deepening on how they are attached, they could leave residue or damage to be removed. So I would check them before putting them back on closely.

I had the same problem.

1. We rebalanced them 3 times. Roadforce. Still had the problem.
2. I got rid of the cheapo spacers and got hubcentric H&R's. This helped, but shakes still there.
3. I searched the internet and found that centering the lugs on a non-hub centric wheel is a must as Mickey stated a few posts up.

After several re-balances and a month of thinking screw it I'll just deal with it, I found this on another forum and decided to give it a shot. It worked and I have had the wheels off twice since and done this everytime I put them back. No shakes.

-Put two lug nuts on such as #1 and #3, hand tighten lugs as you wiggle the wheel gently back and forth with your feet to center the lugs as you tighten. Once you have them hand tight put the others on and get them all hand tight and wiggle the wheel slightly if you can and get them all hand tight. Make them all tight with your torque wrench in the proper order and torque.
As easy as this sounds it worked, and worked for my friend as well. I was ready to put my stock wheels back on before this.

-jc-

juejaimon said:
Is there a "heavy" side of a tire???

Tires and wheels both have a heavy and light side. Tires generally have a yellow and a red dot on them on the sidewall. Some manufacturers use the yellow dot to identify the light spot on the tire while others use it to identify the high or heavy spot. I'm not sure what the other dot is for, but I think it has to do with balancing as well.

Here is what Tire Rack says about balancing relative to the "dots":

If you have a vibration that is dependent on speed, and usually becomes noticeable around 40-45 mph and increases as your speed increases, it's probably balance related. The other primary cause of vibrations is that the tire and wheel assembly isn't perfectly round. Face it, if we go out far enough past the decimal point, nothing is perfectly round. This includes your wheels and tires. The problem is when the high spot on the tire, and the high spot on the wheel end up being matched to each other. This effectively doubles the amount of "hop" or runout. If re-balancing doesn't cure the vibration problem, have your professional installer check the runout of the tire. If there is a "hop", many times the problem can be fixed by simply rotating the tire on the wheel slightly. The technician should loosen the tire on the wheel, and turn it 180 degrees, and reinflate the tire after relubricating the bead. The runout should be significantly reduced or eliminated, and if it's not, try it again, but this time rotate only 90 degrees, and if that doesn't work, try 180 degrees on the third try. Done this way, the high spot on the tire has been tried at each quarter of the wheel. At one of those points, the tire should be good and round. At that point, rebalance the tire, and go for a test drive.

Whenever I take my NSX wheels off and put them back on, I check to see that the wheels are centered on the lugs by the lugnuts, even though I have hubcentric wheels. It's a very small margin of error and you have to "jiggle" the wheel, tighten a lug, "jiggle" the wheel, repeat, until you have it hand snug. Then torque down the nuts. At 60mph or higher (sometimes even at 40mph), wheels that are just a little off on the lugnut centering can cause vibration. Give it a try and you might notice a vibration that was always there might just disappear.

Here are some more tips to solve vibration:
http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/intro.cfm

juejaimon said:
Is there a "heavy" side of a tire??? :confused:

The "heavy" side of the wheel is the side with the spokes I presume..

Maybe side wasn’t the right word to use exactly. The tire itself as well as the wheel is not perfectly balanced around the center (hub). The idea is to place the slightly off center point of the tire on the opposite side of the tire/wheel center that the slightly off center point of the wheel is located. That way the minor weight differences cancel each other out as opposed to expanding the problem when they are both on the same side.

I believe the heavy side can be found by allow the wheel or tire to rotate separately in either a free spin of level ground. It should come to rest with the heavy side down. Don’t quote me on that. Mickylex’s explanation sounds better then mine. Thanks Mickylex. I’m just glad btcog82 got his ride going.

btcog82 said:
Anyone know how to actually post the pic on the thread and not just the gallery:confused:???
When posting, below your post you will find a section for Additional Options, including Attach Files. Click the "Manage Attachments" button.

Back