• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help on exterior door handle remove

Hi I’m trying to remove exterior door handle because the rubber worn out.

I couldn’t pull the rod from the white anchor in the photo.

I saw threads and someone recommended to use wd40 and plier to pull out. I tried using steel fishing tape, angled plier to pull it out but no success. Am I doing something wrong?

Please share your suggestions.

2c071bc861667f8c5d81f3bc6a9cbee4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I doing something wrong?

Nope! At least not according to the Service Manual and from what I remember last time I was poking around in my doors.

You are supposed to pull the rod straight back out of the plastic. Not so easy because of the restricted space. If you have the recommended long needle nose pliers, try spraying some silicone lube on the rod where it enters the plastic and then use the needle nose pliers to try and move the rod back and forth in the plastic to see if you can work the silicone lube in between the rod and plastic. If you can work some silicone in there it might make removal easier. WD40 probably does the job; but, I don't like to use WD 40 on plastic pieces. Silicone is plastic friendly.

When you say steel fishing tape, are you talking about the heavy steel fish tape that electricians use to fish cables through walls and conduit? That was going to be my suggestion, bend a hook in the end of the fish tape, loop the hook around the latch rod right above where the pin enters the plastic and yank back. If that is what you did and it isn't coming out that is one seriously stuck rod.

Since you are a new member, is the car new to you? If so, I am wondering if a previous owner had problems with the latch rod dropping out of the plastic retainer and decided to glue it in place with some CA. Can you move the rod back and forth in the plastic piece at all or does it look like it has been glued in place? If it has been glued, I am at a loss as to how you will get it apart without doing damage.

Edit - Is that blue stuff on the plastic just a grease of some kind or does it look like an adhesive?

Last edited:
Thanks for the detail message. I will try using silicon and retry pulling it out. I’m not too sure if the blue is glued. Yes I bought the used however the handle didn’t seem to be new. With that being said, I don’t think it was glued. I used the fishing tape that electrician use. It has a hook on the end and easy to pull off the rod. I’m worried that I may broke the piece or not be able to put the new one back in.
Anyways I will try and update the job status. Thank you again.

Thank you. I was able to remove the rod from the white plastic holder by using

Silicon lubricant sprayer
Pull it off using steel fish Tape that electrician use
Then used paint brush steel roller (without sponge or any tool with 90 degree angled would work) and grab the rod with brush then smash the brush and with rubber hammer.

It was definitely tough one. But it is definitely removable

Thanks all

Back