• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

help polishing what looks like "chrome" tips..

ok guys i'm stumped..
what would you recommend to clean (polish) chrome tips on your exhaust with?(cantrell concepts). i tryed polishing them with mothers chrome polish,never dull,various other polishes,with no avail.:frown: there's a thumb print from the original owner that is "burned" in to the chrome, along with finger prints.:mad: it looks like its dirty,but its in the chrome.must of been the oils from his hands when he installed them,when they were freshly new?. if that makes sence.
it might not be chrome either,possibly polished stainless??:confused:
any help would be great,
thank you Gary~

Yeah i just noticed mine has dryed blood on it from the armadillo i hit the day i lowered the car.

Mike

One thing about riding motorcycles, you get to learn how to clean exhaust systems. Mostly the burned on spots on them come from heels and soles from shoes, various compounds of rubber or synthetics. Anyway, when you get a burned on print of something or another on the exhaust tips try Oven Cleaner on it. Start the car and let them get hot and then spray and let it set for a while. Oh, and make sure all plastic in the area is protected first. As for blood or just about any other organic spot, to include road tar and pine sap stains, go for Acetone. It won't hurt your paint, but once again be careful around plastics.

One thing about riding motorcycles, you get to learn how to clean exhaust systems. Mostly the burned on spots on them come from heels and soles from shoes, various compounds of rubber or synthetics. Anyway, when you get a burned on print of something or another on the exhaust tips try Oven Cleaner on it. Start the car and let them get hot and then spray and let it set for a while. Oh, and make sure all plastic in the area is protected first. As for blood or just about any other organic spot, to include road tar and pine sap stains, go for Acetone. It won't hurt your paint, but once again be careful around plastics.

I would err on the side of caution and be sure to keep acetone away from my paint. It is, after all, souped up fingernail polish remover. It will also melt plastic. That is why it is sold in a metal or glass container.

Try the mothers powerball

Yes, very fine steel wool. and old fashioned Turtle Wax chrome polish (I am not sure you can still buy it)
Turtle_Wax_T280RA_12_Oz_Chrome_Polish_and_Rust_Remover.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, very fine steel wool. and old fashioned Turtle Wax chrome polish (I am not sure you can still buy it)
Turtle_Wax_T280RA_12_Oz_Chrome_Polish_and_Rust_Remover.jpg

well I use Turtle Wax Chrome cleaner. However I have never had a print like this on my tips. I don't know if that would get it out.

Back