• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

help w/ cel after charging battery

i just got back from storage and my 99 was hesitant to turn over. eventually just made the clicking noise. i had a trickle charger in my car and charged it for about an hour. the car then started right up w/ no hesitation but my cel stayed on. anybody know how to turn it off? :confused:

Before clearing the CEL, you should pull the code to find out what set it off. It could very well be nothing ("one of those things about the ECU") but it would be nice to have a clear mind.

To answer your question, pull the 7.5 A clock fuse for a couple of minutes. Afterwards, you will have to reset the clock, the radio stations and the AC settings.

thank you for the info i am going to try it tomorrow and will let you know how it goes. :smile:

thanks after running the car w/ the light on yesterday i went back today to let it run some more. after i let it run for 15min. i turned the car back on and the light was off. :smile:

You may wish to pull the code even thought the light is off now(It may still be saved). The code the ECU encountered was a "two trip" code. Whatever it was, took two consecutive "trips" with the same fault occuring to light the CEL, then the car had two consecutive trips without the fault to turn the CEL off:).

Likely it could be something like a loose gas cap. If you get the code all speculation is eliminated. If it is a EVAP emmissions code for sure it probably was a loose gas cap.

HTH,
LarryB

zanardi43 said:
i just got back from storage and my 99 was hesitant to turn over. eventually just made the clicking noise. i had a trickle charger in my car and charged it for about an hour. the car then started right up w/ no hesitation but my cel stayed on. anybody know how to turn it off? :confused:

zanardi43 said:
thanks after running the car w/ the light on yesterday i went back today to let it run some more. after i let it run for 15min. i turned the car back on and the light was off. :smile:

Same thing happened to me after charging my car two days ago. It was just barely too low to start, so I charged it for less than an hour. I started the car just for a minute after charging and the CEL light was off. Then yesterday I drove it 15 miles and the CEL came on after about 5 minutes. I haven't driven it a second time yet to see if it goes away.

Did you ever pull the ECU code? I will follow the faq to see what it mine is..

Also, I charged it from the positive terminal in the engine bay fusebox and a nearby bolt, not the battery directly. Is that bad? Some other threads seem to indicate it should be ok..

-Josh

Back