• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help with attaching new trunk struts......

just bought my NSX, previous owner just installed new trunk struts per my request. When I closed the trunk tonight, the E clip flew off the strut (luckily I found it).

Without the clip, the struts falls to the side and off the mount when I go to close the trunk.

I don't have the instructions but they are the GSB rear trunk struts.

I'm not handy, anyone know how to get the E clip back on? this will keep the struts in place.

thanks

Glenn

Just hold (tightly) the back of the e clip with a pair of needle nose pliers and guide it along the way. Make sure the strut is not blocking the little groove where the e clip is supposed to ride and sit. It takes a little bit of force because it is a tight fit but it will slide on with just a bit of finesse.

Last edited:
Just hold (tightly) the back of the e clip with a pair of needle nose pliers and guide it along the way. Make sure the strut is not blocking the little groove where the e clip is supposed to ride and sit. It takes a little bit of force because it is a tight fit but it will slide on with just a bit of finesse.

Thanks for the tip! Got it back on in 30 seconds. Works fine now.

Thanks again!

Glenn

Because this thread had the most recent activity, thought I'd ask my question here rather than start a new post:

I want to replace my trunk struts with OEM ($71 shipped) but would like to reuse the ball studs. Is this impossible? If I buy new struts AND ball studs (an additional $22-25 shipped), how do I assemble the studs to the struts? Simply push them on? How hard is it to push on? I've heard that you can cut the old struts off of the ball studs and reuse...but why is it so hard to get the ball studs off of the struts...one-way lock or something? Interested from some who have actually been able to reuse the ball studs.

thanks.
Did I mention I am a cheap bastard?

Because this thread had the most recent activity, thought I'd ask my question here rather than start a new post:

I want to replace my trunk struts with OEM ($71 shipped) but would like to reuse the ball studs. Is this impossible? If I buy new struts AND ball studs (an additional $22-25 shipped), how do I assemble the studs to the struts? Simply push them on? How hard is it to push on? I've heard that you can cut the old struts off of the ball studs and reuse...but why is it so hard to get the ball studs off of the struts...one-way lock or something? Interested from some who have actually been able to reuse the ball studs.

thanks.
Did I mention I am a cheap bastard?

I just did this for a buddy a few weeks ago,
You can reuse the ball studs. There is a round wire clip that holds the ball stud to the strut. it is basically a one way deal. Others have been sucessful in removing the wire clip with picks to free the ball stud from the strut head, but I found that to be almost impossible. What works is to use a dremel with a cutting bit and cut all the way thru the strut head all the way around then split the head on the strut in half exposing the ball stud. When you cut you must be careful to not cut the ball stud, just the head of the strut and the wire clip. This will destroy the old strut.
The new ball stud just presses onto the strut by hand, not a great deal of force is needed.

Last edited:
I just did this for a buddy a few weeks ago,
You can reuse the ball studs. There is a round wire clip that holds the ball stud to the strut. it is basically a one way deal. Others have been sucessful in removing the wire clip with picks to free the ball stud from the strut head, but I found that to be almost impossible. What works is to use a dremel with a cutting bit and cut all the way thru the strut head all the way around then split the head on the strut in half exposing the ball stud. When you cut you must be careful to not cut the ball stud, just the head of the strut and the wire clip. This will destroy the old strut.
The new ball stud just presses onto the strut by hand, not a great deal of force is needed.

good answers! thanks

Yup, nsxter did it for me (thanks buddy)! We went through a lot of cutting wheels and blood/sweat. It's easier to just get the new ball studs. :) I guess they used to sell them together, but not anymore for some reason.

Yea its a PITA but with some picks and patience you can remove the little clip that holds the ball in the socket of the old strut. That way you can keep the OEM painted ball stud, otherwise, spend the $20 and get new studs

You are welcome Kelvin :smile:
I would get the new ball studs. If your ball studs are painted the body color they are probably original and may be worth the work to re-use. but you could always use touch up paint on the new ball studs to look original.

You could buy all new struts and ball studs for this time, then always send the old entire units (struts and ball studs) out to strutwise to rebuild for the next time they go out in a couple of years.:wink:

Maybe I will just remove them and see if I can get the ball studs out before ordering (did I mention I am a cheap bastard). I can use a broom handle to hold the trunk in the meantime. I have picks and a big magnifying light.

Love to hear from someone who has actually removed the ball studs with picks vs. cutting.

Don't recall my ball studs being body colored, but I do have the 22nd car imported...quite a few quaint idiosyncrasies...

Here's what OLDMNSX said back in 2007:

"I replaced my trunk struts and removed the ball ends with two dental tools. The secret is to push the round clip into the socket, opposite side from the split, with one of the tools and take the other tool and lift one of the ends of the split in the ring out. As the end starts to come out take the first tool and lift under the ring and gently move around the socket.

The first one took me about 10 minutes to figure it out and the second one took about 5 min. It would have taken a lot longer if my wife would have been there watching me telling me what to do, may never have gotten it!"

I miss all the humor from the old days...

but this one from NSXCLEAR had me in tears:
"I think the PICKING procedures goes something like this.

1. Remove trunk struts from the car.
2. Get a dentist pick and try to pry out the ring around the ball joint.
3. Curse at trunk struts and ball joint.
4. Try again.
5. Curse again.
6. Try this for about 15 more times.
7. Go in the house to get a cold beer.
8. If wife asks you if you are done yet, just roll your eyes and don't say a word. But don't let her see do this....
9. Go back to the garage.
10. Try again.
11. Curse again.
12. Throw the trunk struts against the floor.
13. Start up the NSX and redline all the way to the nearest Acura Dealer.
14. Pay for the ball joints using your wife's credit card for asking that stupid question "Are you done yet?".

Oops. I forgot a step between 7 and 8:

7.5) Kick the dog/cat on the way to the fridge."

Now I'm convinced I have to take the challenge (or try for 5-10 min) :)

If the units that are on the car are OEM then I would seriously consider sending the struts to Frank at StrutWise and be done with it....... He is reasonably priced and the turn around time is a day or two at most.
For me it was a easy choice and one I would chose if I had to do it over again.

HTH,
Gene Greer

Ok...got the ball studs out using two picks and my vice using OLDMNSXs method. Was easy, but not everyone has the right tools...gotta have a set of picks and a vice really helps. First one took 15 min and second one took 5, but I was taking pictures the whole time and that includes putting the cleaned up studs back in.

Plan to make a short DIY on this. I like a challenge and saved 25 bucks.:smile:
Look for a DIY in that section w pics soon.

Last edited:
Nice job Bill!
icon14.gif
Thanks for sharing the pics! If you create a DIY, we can ask to have it added to the wiki. :)

Do not use GSB struts for the trunk. The plastic retaining clip will not fit over the top. The strut also moves around on the upper pin as there is no bushing. AVOID.

the only reason people try and reuse the originals is they are painted the same color as the car. the new ball studs are ALL black. non painted. I don't care as my car is black anyway but those with different colors are def gonna notice they are not the same color as the car

My reason for keeping the original struts on is that the build quality is excellent and that they lasted so many years already. They are worthy of a repair for this point and they will last many more years. I am not sure of other units but just because they fit the NSX doesn't mean they are of oem quality and design.
Also, having the same struts still on my car as it was born with is pretty cool.

If the units that are on the car are OEM then I would seriously consider sending the struts to Frank at StrutWise and be done with it....... He is reasonably priced and the turn around time is a day or two at most.
For me it was a easy choice and one I would chose if I had to do it over again.

HTH,
Gene Greer

This is the route I will be taking, once I have time to remove them and get them sent to Frank. Cost is $100 Canadian for both the trunk and the hatch and like Gene said, his turn around time is short.

91 NSX Red/Black
09 VW Jetta TDI White

Back