• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help with motor build

Hello Primers,

I am looking to build a motor for my 95 that has over 100k miles on it. I already have some parts for my project and am just not sure what route to go (never messed with an nsx engine before). What I have is a 2002 complete 3.2L head and engine harness and ECU. I also have a C32B crank, pistons, and rods that I was able to salvage out of a blown motor. I am looking to rebuild my old C30 block and was wondering if I would be able to use the crank, pistons, rods and other internal parts from the C32B block that I have? Or do I need to get aftermarket pistons (I might just get after market pistons anyways since I eventually plan to go with a super charger). Also for the head, would it be easier for me to use the 3.2L head with my old 3.0L intake manifold and ECU? Or would I be able to use the complete 3.2L head using the newer OBDII engine harness and ECU? Sorry if this sounds dumb, i'm fairly new to doing any engine swaps on an NSX, also please let me know if you know where I can find a bare 3.0L or 3.2L block, I would like to keep my old c30 engine complete as a spare.

Thanks for all of your help.

I don't have all the answers..i do know that you can use 3.0l heads on the 3.2 block which bumps compression slightly by .5 your 95 ecu can run a 3.2l motor and you can keep your wireing harness..you will need someone expert in all the nuances of which circuits will need to be capped ect....also there was a ulev air system in the 00 and up motors which needs to be plugged.

My understanding is that whichever pistons you go with (stock or aftermarket), you'll still need to match the sleeves in the cylinder to match them. However, I think you can still use the same rods, cams and crank.

As far as spare blocks, they are getting very rare these days. I had a hard time getting a hold of one on my last re-build and it cost me well over $3,000.

Last edited:
You already seem to have a nice bunch of spares.
Anyway,

If you wish to run the 93mm 3.2 pistons in the 3.0 90mm block you'd need sleeves.

Cam,Crank and rod's are interchangeable and aren't different in terms of displacement I recall them also not having any weight differences.
Since your car is a '95 OBD-II car the bulk of the 3.2 electronics will work.

It being a 00-05 engine does mean that you have a LEV system like John pointed out.
if you have everything stripped down i'd recommend using the 95 wiring harness as that's what the ECU is designed for.

Spare blocks are expensive I recall that the last one i sold went for something like $2750.
There is a third option when building a engine but this requires additional time and possibly some adaption.
I'm yet to experiment with that setup so i really can't go in to detail as i could not back that up with hands-on experience.

I actually had that in mind, i'll have to see what the cost of this will be. I'm not working with a huge budget unfortunately since I'm doing a complete rebuild of my 95. Updates to come.

Back