• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help with SmartPhone data plan, Please.

Loveland, CO and Trabuco Canyon, California
I finally bought my first smart phone. I have a new white Google Nexus 4 and need to sign up for a data plan. I don't plan to use much data as I'm not glued to my phone.

Do you have and recommendations for good providers or ones to avoid?

I looked online and it seems like T-Mobile would work out for me at $60/month; Simple Choice Plan: Unlimited Talk + Text plus 2 GB High-speed Data.

I currently have an AT&T bundle for my TV (Dish), home phone, (dumb) cell phone and internet. I'm currently paying $50/month for the cell and I believe it would be an additional $30/ month for 3GB of data, for a total of $80/month.

I'm leaning towards T-Mobile although my contract with AT&T isn't up until October.

Thank you for any advice you want to share with me. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, 47 views and not one opinion? Is it a no-no to post this question? :confused:

Patty, you are not glued now...but will be lol. As far as providers, you really just need to go with who is good in your area. I bought the iphone 3 when it first came out and have had the unlimited data contract with AT&T so i am stuck with them. Verizon is way better out in my hood, but am stuck with AT&T.

^Thank you, Jason. I hear people trash AT&T all the time, including my kids. I haven't had problems with my dumb phone, though.

I have had AT&T for many years and am highly considering a switch to t-mobile for the many reasons you described Patty. AT&T's customer service is laughable and that's the biggest turn off for me to continue being their customer, while I have heard nothing better concerning Verizon or T-mobile I have a much easier time putting up with junk customer service when I cut my phone bill in half.

I currently pay $95/month for my cell (basic phone plan, unlimited text and 2gb data) and while the service I receive throughout California is pretty awesome I just can't help but think I'd be better off with another carrier.

Hope this helps

T-Mobile has the best rates and no contracts. Been with them for many years and their customer service has been good. Call me if you want more details.

Are you looking into Prepaid Month to Month plans by companies like Metro PCS, BoostMobile or others? Since you already bought your phone, it should be easy, but the company you choose will have to use a GSM based network, so AT&T or T-Mobile backbone.
Check out this article on cheap plans by companies that lease bandwidth from the big companies
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375644,00.asp

Thank you, Jonathan, Les and Hapa88. I went to AT&T today and signed up until October, when my current contract runs out. In October, I think I'll go to T-Mobile and see about going month-to-month with them.

Last edited:
i had AT&T, verizon in the past.

I'm with sprint now for the following reasons:

1. The most LAN-line sound quality (I don't like to ask people to repeat themselves.... certainly none of my customers)
2. PCS in the city and Verizon for roaming (IMHO.... that is a good mix of PCS and cell service for both coverage and redundancy)
3. All you can eat for $99/month buffet plan. I like the fix rate and don't have to think about things like, "Hmmm, maybe I should do my downloading or streaming when I'm near a wifi spot like star bucks."

I had the sprint/nextel plan when it was $200 monthly. Stayed with sprint for 10 years
and the unlimited plan got cheapest to $99 monthly. Got tired of the contracts and bought a nexus 4 in December with no contract T-Mobile plan. Service is $60 and I have a telestial international Sim to pop in when I'm out of the country, haven't and will not look back. I work in Brazil and my sprint bill on the international plan was close to $500 monthly. I was equally as terrible while in Canada a year ago. Google nexus 4,T-Mobile w/no contract sim= win:)
I have some unlimited plan but haven't been tethered, the hspa when I get it is fast. No real complaints. Terrible signal in my house but my weife has the same signal with her sprint phone.
We both have unlimited plans but mine is cheaper and I can buy and sell phones to upgrade whenever I want, not wait on my contract to expire. Sprint lags on phone choices.

Last edited:
I had the sprint/nextel plan when it was $200 monthly. Stayed with sprint for 10 years
and the unlimited plan got cheapest to $99 monthly. Got tired of the contracts and bought a nexus 4 in December with no contract T-Mobile plan. Service is $60 and I have a telestial international Sim to pop in when I'm out of the country, haven't and will not look back. I work in Brazil and my sprint bill on the international plan was close to $500 monthly. I was equally as terrible while in Canada a year ago. Google nexus 4,T-Mobile w/no contract sim= win:)
I have some unlimited plan but haven't been tethered, the hspa when I get it is fast. No real complaints. Terrible signal in my house but my weife has the same signal with her sprint phone.
We both have unlimited plans but mine is cheaper and I can buy and sell phones to upgrade whenever I want, not wait on my contract to expire. Sprint lags on phone choices.

Sounds familiar. I guess I'll find out how that works in So Cal come October. Thank you for the advice, Ko-nsx.

Sounds familiar. I guess I'll find out how that works in So Cal come October. Thank you for the advice, Ko-nsx.

Here's some simple math of what I did.
Got an iPhone 5 64gb w/sprint- $479.00
2 years of 99 monthly, (more like 119 with all that fluff, insurance etc and the cost of the phone).- 3300 or so. RETURNED ALL THAT SHIT TO SPRINT WITHIN MY TRIAL PERIOD.

Google nexus 4 16gb on craigslist $400
Unlimited $50 month plan with t mobile for 2 years= about 1600 or so

Switching carriers and phones at will since they come out as much as we change underwear- worth the 1600 savings. I can charge the international Sim with cash, I'm talking in Germany with the minutes I bought.:)

I do have a simple mobile Sim, they use T-Mobile towers and might have free LD, long distance. I haven't used it though, its nice to actually go in a store for things in case you have a problem. I tried calling so simple mobile and it was bad as uverse tech support. Staying with T-Mobile.

Last edited:
Republic Wireless $19.99/mo unlimited talk/data/text. Phone is wifi preferred. Travel outside the country and use wifi hotspot to call USA for FREE. I"ve had one of their phones for about 6 months now and the ONLY drawbacks: 1) limited to ONE phone choice Motorola Defy XT 2) Can't send a photo via text (but you can via email). 30 day money back guarantee.

Back