• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Here is the aerial video of my car on the track.

That is very awesome

Beautiful car, perfect day and perfect track. Glad your in a six speed now, as the spin didn't cost you a tranny this time ;)

That's really neat, Mario! Was that part of the track package? Did everyone who tracked get a video?

***EDIT*** Never mind. I saw this on one of Les's posts,

To those who are interested in documenting this once in a lifetime event on the exclusive Thermal Raceway, Phoenix Aerial Productions is offering those who are driving on the track an aerial video of your experience. This will be limited to the first 25 people with a cost of $50 digital unlimited download or $75 USB hardcopy.

Last edited:
nice vid...were you solo during the spin?

Nice video. You were lucky on that spin as there was not a lot of run off anywhere on that track. Fun to watch, thanks for sharing.

nice vid...were you solo during the spin?

Yes, I've been soloing for about a year now. I was running in the intermediate class that day.

The spin was totally my fault. The driver in front of me gave me the point-by when I was still in the turn. At that point I stomped on the gas peddle to start my pass. That's when the rear end stepped out. Then I over compensated and the tail swung in the other direction. By that time it was too late. My biggest concern then was to stop the car before hitting the wall, which I was able to do. In retrospect, I should have squeezed the gas pedal until I was completely out of the turn.

It was a fun day.

Last edited:
that's called an overly exuberant pass....:wink:.....but at least you know what you did rather than pull into the pits and immediately start blaming the car/suspension/tires....ect.....I've seen plenty of that in my experience.

PS: don't make fun of my spin-out LOL

Great video, what a playground.

Did you do a Jeremy Clarkson "many poos shot out of my anii!!" Looked awful close to the wall. Super glad it wasn't an unhappy ending!

Nice video!!! So you are the one:redface: I heard rumors about someone going off the track that day:biggrin:

That was a blast!!! We need to get a group together and do that track like twice a year if possible... Preferably in November and March when it's not 100+ degrees outside:smile:

There is a high definition version of the video, that I will post later. It's on Vimeo, but the password given to me is not working. I'll keep you posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Great video, what a playground.

Did you do a Jeremy Clarkson "many poos shot out of my anii!!" Looked awful close to the wall. Super glad it wasn't an unhappy ending!

Yes, I did not realize how close I came to the wall. As soon as I knew that I could not save the spin, I put both feet in as hard as I could. Its a nice track. The challenges were the 180 degree turns. The chicanes were no problem.

Props to the Drone pilot. Great footage. When I saw your rear let go I thought to myself, now that would've been me.:redface:

The HD version is now posted at the beginning of this thread! Enjoy!

- - - Updated - - -

Props to the Drone pilot. Great footage. When I saw your rear let go I thought to myself, now that would've been me.:redface:

I seem to spin out out at least once on every track that I have driven except Willow Springs. Due to the really high speeds at that track, particularly turn 8, I'm reluctant to take it to the limit there. Each spin out to date has been for a different reason. Some going into to corner too hot, upsetting the balance of the car during the turn, or pushing too hard out of a turn, like what happen in the video. However, I've only been taking my car on the track for almost a year. So, I have a lot to learn. The instructors at NSXPO were too busy with the novice drivers, So, I was not able to take advantage of the great NSX instructors that were there.

Hope to see some of you ta the track next season!

Mario

Last edited:
thats too bad about the instructors.I would say someone like you needs an instructor more than a novice esp one that might only track once at xpo. they only need a sitter...

Not wanting to throw more parts onto your car Mario... but do you have the non-compliance goodies installed in your rear end? Can you explain how it feels before the rear lets go? Do you think you're simply getting on the throttle too early, say... before you're halfway into the turn?

I think you should have an instructor or maybe one of us ride with you at your next event. Maybe they/we can help give you some pointers?

I was "instructing" for a very nice gentleman who owned a sweet 05' (bone stock) with great tires. His car felt amazing and very stable. No signs of exhibiting any snap oversteer gremlins. It actually made me miss what a stock NSX felt like. He was also very smooth with the controls which helped tremendously.

If you've spinned out at your last few events, i'd be curious to know what the problem is, either car or possibly driver habits.

Nice vid. My friend just today was saying how he may buy a drone that shoots 4k video and syncs your phone. Your vid makes me want one too.

Not wanting to throw more parts onto your car Mario... but do you have the non-compliance goodies installed in your rear end? Can you explain how it feels before the rear lets go? Do you think you're simply getting on the throttle too early, say... before you're halfway into the turn?

I think you should have an instructor or maybe one of us ride with you at your next event. Maybe they/we can help give you some pointers?

I was "instructing" for a very nice gentleman who owned a sweet 05' (bone stock) with great tires. His car felt amazing and very stable. No signs of exhibiting any snap oversteer gremlins. It actually made me miss what a stock NSX felt like. He was also very smooth with the controls which helped tremendously.

If you've spinned out at your last few events, i'd be curious to know what the problem is, either car or possibly driver habits.

Hello Regan,

Thanks for your input. Yes, I have the non-compliance rear bearings and toe links, which has helped a lot when compared to my stock set-up. I also have other suspension mods including a softer rear sway bar as recommended by those in the know. So, it is not the car, but the driver. I'm still learning when I'm getting close to the limit. I'm not skilled enough yet to feel soon enough when the rear end is about to let loose, and when it dose let loose, I'm not skilled enough to recover. Although I may seem to be a gentle sole, I do have a competitive side of me that makes me want to excel. However, I'm aware of this and I try to stay within my limit, which I do the great majority of the time.

I would very much like and need more training, particularly from an instructor that drives an NSX. In fact, Coz has offered himself whenever I can make it to Arizona, although he may be at Chuckwally in February. I have taken a high performance driving course, so I have knowledge of the basics of car control. I also have 8 track days under my belt. I generally run with the local Alfa Romeo Club, but they have canceled the remainder of their run dates this year. So, I'm not sure I will be going out again this year. Let me know when you go out next and perhaps I can join you!

Hello Regan,

Thanks for your input. Yes, I have the non-compliance rear bearings and toe links, which has helped a lot when compared to my stock set-up. I also have other suspension mods including a softer rear sway bar as recommended by those in the know. So, it is not the car, but the driver. I'm still learning when I'm getting close to the limit. I'm not skilled enough yet to feel soon enough when the rear end is about to let loose, and when it dose let loose, I'm not skilled enough to recover. Although I may seem to be a gentle sole, I do have a competitive side of me that makes me want to excel. However, I'm aware of this and I try to stay within my limit, which I do the great majority of the time.

Your car is a beast Mario, I am glad that you are recognizing it to be a driver "short coming". As a driving instructor it is easier to teach someone who understands that they have room to learn instead of dumping money into a car.

I would very much like and need more training, particularly from an instructor that drives an NSX. In fact, Coz has offered himself whenever I can make it to Arizona, although he may be at Chuckwally in February. I have taken a high performance driving course, so I have knowledge of the basics of car control. I also have 8 track days under my belt. I generally run with the local Alfa Romeo Club, but they have canceled the remainder of their run dates this year. So, I'm not sure I will be going out again this year. Let me know when you go out next and perhaps I can join you!

This is good to hear Mario, although I pretty much figured you were a competitive guy a long time ago. You have a lot of talent and your competitive nature will allow you to continue to improve. Don't get discouraged as we all spin or have the occasional off the point is to take something away from each and every session you have out there. Personal instruction is very expensive typically, but if you decide to go out on another one of your Alfa group days somewhat local you can always ask me and I would love to help you as much as I can.

An instructor is a great tool, (Not so much Coz, but other instructors are really good:tongue:) but there is no substitute for seat time. Keep at it and next track event I hope to be out there with you.

That off in the video scared the bejesus out of me. Thermal wasn't a particularly "safe" track, but I am glad everyone managed to escaped unscathed.

Keep the shiny side up Mario.

Your car is a beast Mario, I am glad that you are recognizing it to be a driver "short coming". As a driving instructor it is easier to teach someone who understands that they have room to learn instead of dumping money into a car.

This is good to hear Mario, although I pretty much figured you were a competitive guy a long time ago. You have a lot of talent and your competitive nature will allow you to continue to improve. Don't get discouraged as we all spin or have the occasional off the point is to take something away from each and every session you have out there. Personal instruction is very expensive typically, but if you decide to go out on another one of your Alfa group days somewhat local you can always ask me and I would love to help you as much as I can.

An instructor is a great tool, (Not so much Coz, but other instructors are really good:tongue:) but there is no substitute for seat time. Keep at it and next track event I hope to be out there with you.

That off in the video scared the bejesus out of me. Thermal wasn't a particularly "safe" track, but I am glad everyone managed to escaped unscathed.

Keep the shiny side up Mario.

Thanks for the kind words Johnathan. I'm thinking of going to Chuckwalla in November with the Alfa Group. If I do go, I'll send you the dates so that you can check your schedule. Dinner and lunch are on me!

Last edited:
Mario, you're on my video of the session as you came back on to the track and pointed me by. I'm surprised there was no local yellow...the light just before the turn to the back straight was still green when I drove past it.

Session 2 Laps 2.7K.0803_1.jpg

Last edited:
Mario, you're on my video of the session as you came back on to the track and pointed me by. I'm surprised there was no local yellow...the light just before the turn to the back straight was still green when I drove past it.

View attachment 128627

Erik,

I dont think the track stewards were able to react fast enough to throw out a yellow, and I was at the far end of the track which is less noticeable if I had spun out somewhere else on the track, they may have noticed me. However, I also did not see a yellow flag at the end of the back straight, but by then I was not in anyone's way.

When I pulled into the pits, I caught a little hell from COZ for pulling out in front of you three guys rounding the corner. He said I should have waited until all of you passed bye before getting back on the track. Sorry, I thought I had enough room, however, my car went into limp mode, so I had no power to accelerate to keep ahead of you guys. Next time I'll wait.

If you get the chance, please post the video!

Last edited:

View attachment 128627

I am so jealous your defroster vent hasn't cracked yet! So jealous.........

Ok,

Since several of you were concerned about my tendency to spin out, I have a received an offer from Johnathan (Track Addict) to be my personal instructor when I go to Chuckwalla later this month. I'm looking forward to getting some great tips from a fellow NSX owner and track experienced instructor. Anyone else want to go?

Back