• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda changed to a different oil filter

Apparently the new OEM filter is not good. The old one was made in Japan and the new (short) one is no where near as good. When using Mobil 1 synthetic oil, a synthetic element filter should be used but there doesn't seem to be one available for the car. Neither Mobil 1 nor Pure 1 nor Amsoil make a filter that will fit. Does anyone know of a premium synthetic element oil filter that will work?

Apparently the new OEM filter is not good. The old one was made in Japan and the new (short) one is no where near as good. When using Mobil 1 synthetic oil, a synthetic element filter should be used but there doesn't seem to be one available for the car. Neither Mobil 1 nor Pure 1 nor Amsoil make a filter that will fit. Does anyone know of a premium synthetic element oil filter that will work?

Why isn't the new one any good? And, I have never, in my life, heard of any requirement to use a synthetic media filter with synthetic oil - if so, it's news to GM who fills every new Corvette with Mobil 1 and uses a regular paper filter. I'm sure Mobil would love for you to buy their filter and their oil but that's all about marketing and nothing to do with performance, AFAIK.

The question I have is why Honda, after all these years of making a tall filter, decided to change to a Legend filter? Did the Honda engineers, after many years of research, just decide all of a sudden that the newer filters are now better than the old one? I think it does not matter which one you use. But it just pisses me off that Honda decided that the old filter needs to be replaced. Why not just come out with the Legend filter in the beginning back in 1991 and use it for the NSX?

When using Mobil 1 synthetic oil, a synthetic element filter should be used but there doesn't seem to be one available for the car. Neither Mobil 1 nor Pure 1 nor Amsoil make a filter that will fit. Does anyone know of a premium synthetic element oil filter that will work?

I have a 5-quart jug of Mobil 1 in my garage and it says "Special filters not required" right on the label.

The question I have is why Honda, after all these years of making a tall filter, decided to change to a Legend filter? Did the Honda engineers, after many years of research, just decide all of a sudden that the newer filters are now better than the old one? I think it does not matter which one you use. But it just pisses me off that Honda decided that the old filter needs to be replaced. Why not just come out with the Legend filter in the beginning back in 1991 and use it for the NSX?

I can assure you that this change had very little to do with Honda engineers, with the exception of giving it the nod, that it is OK for the application:).

When any product is initially developed, engineering decisions are made, like "we need a big oil filter"(sometimes it is more like: "we WANT a big oil filter":D). Market coinditions and production management will ultimately have a say in those decisions, when they are impacted, and sometimes will ask for adjustments. As long as Engineering does not see a flaw with the adjustment, it is approved.

My $.02

Regards,
LarryB

Mugen has modified Honda OEM filter.
If I remember correctly, 20+% better oil flow, more filteration, better seal(gasket?), etc... The price was $30+:eek:

p1.jpg

Purolator #24484 is a long filter and is readily available. I've used it for 8 years on my NSX (51kmi).

Purolator has been in the oil filter business probably longer than Honda has been in the car business. They have done very well in quantitative testing (measure size of particles trapped by the filter, capacity, size of particles that pass through, etc) by independent magazines such as Consumer Reports.

I've used Purolator filters for over 40 years on all my cars, including 3 Corvettes and an Integra (150kmi), with good engine life and never a problem.

Frank
'96 NSX-T, red/tan

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109700

You guys missed this thread. Read it and you'll see what some of the ones recommended here are really made of. The NAPA-Nippon oil filter is the closest replica to the OEM long filter on the inside, and its relatively cheap.

That is an interesting thread, but I remember a thread from a long time ago showing that HONDA has been, and apparently continues to outsource filters. I believe the thread showed that even FRAM was making the filter at one time.

I will keep trying to find that thread.

Back