• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda "Is Working Very Hard" on NSX Successor, Say President

I believe he means Honda's "newer" cars are very safe and reliable but the all NSXs are all based on late 80s technology, so it's chassis no longer meets 2005+ safety standards.

Perhaps you should have said "reliably safe"? When read in context, it sounds like you were talking about reliability along with safety.

The point is that even though the architecture of the NSX is still very good by today's standards, it simply will not pass today's rigorous safety tests. Just look at how pedestrian safety standards have influenced automobile design. As I said, you can "tweek" the NSX all you want but you still are not addressing why it was canceled in the 1st place.

Let me clarify-

Side curtain airbags were required in 2006. The architecture used to produce the NSX would have required exponential amounts of rework in order to comply with the new airbag requirements laid out by the USA. To the point that Honda simply did not see the financial benefit of going through said rework. It all came down to tooling and the fact that the car was never designed with the A-pillar infrastructure capable of employing side curtain airbags.

However, TODAYS' Hondas are known for their fantastic safety ratings. One that the NSX could never live up to, regardless of the amount of work they would spend updating it. Thus why the NSX would have to be redesigned from the ground up.

Does this make more sense to you?

The US Government does NOT require side air bags in vehicles and certainly did not in 2006.

From the NHTSA web site:
"Side-impact air bags (SAB) are inflatable devices that help protect your head and/or chest from being hit by hard objects in a side-impact crash. The first head SABs were introduced in model year 1998, but did not become widely available until recently. SABs, unlike frontal air bags, are not required by NHTSA."

Financial benefit? The NSX was never expected to reap a direct financial benefit.
Hand assembling, hand welding, hand painting cars of a mere 18K+- in total numbers over 15 years is certain proof that direct financial benefit from the car's sales was not the point.

As I said, you can "tweek" the NSX all you want but you still are not addressing why it was canceled in the 1st place.

I'm not trying to address why the car was discontinued I'm just taking exception with your claim of:
But you fail to address the real problem: they stopped production because it won't pass safety standards in the US..
because it is false.

How it would measure in terms of safety in today's world if left as it was in 2005, good or bad, is not relevant to this claim, as you are quoted, as being the reason it was stopped back then, at the time.

Last edited:
Toronto, Ontario -Acura announced that production of the NSX exotic sports car wil retooling necessary to meet stringent 2006 emissions and equipment regulations fo that it is developing a new sports car to succeed it, but gave no details.

If they ever make a successor, in spirit or otherwise to the NSX it will unlikely be as the first.
It was a product of Honda R&D, who had their own budget and how it was brought to be did ruffle some feathers at the time.
As one member of our club said and so eloquently: "it was a exercise in engineering".

If they make a successor I believe they will expect it to be a production car, not one made in such small numbers by hand and just because they wanted to.

I think it will showcase technology but not so much racing technology as the former but more to-wards the "green" effort.

The quote I remember seeing in Japan, at the Honda Museum, was one of Soichiro Honda's quotes: "without racing, there is no Honda".
One can hope this idea did not die with him but, I think it did. Until someone comes along at the company that feels otherwise and has the power and conviction to make the decision to make this a guiding principal once again you'll not see a modern NSX in the mold of ours, but something else. As it has been said "a spiritual successor".

Time will tell but it seems every time it looks like the NSX might get up off the mat something else knocks it back down.

I've given up expecting a replacement. At best, maybe, there will be a substitute.

Last edited:
Perhaps you should have said "reliably safe"? When read in context, it sounds like you were talking about reliability along with safety.

My apologize about the confusion I guess I should of word it better. I was hoping people would realized I was talking about safety and only safety when I said, "...so it's chassis no longer meets 2005+ safety standards."

Oh well no biggie.

I was hoping people would realized I was talking about safety and only safety when I said, "...so it's chassis no longer meets 2005+ safety standards."

Only problem is I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about when you make this claim. You just talk'n.:biggrin:
Exactly what 2005+ safety standard does the chassis not meet?
Any hard data or facts or from sources expert in this regard?
I want to know how you came up with this notion that the chassis, the unit structure, does not meet 2005+ safety standards and you come here saying so.
son-150x150.jpg
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Only problem is I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about when you make this claim. You just talk'n.:biggrin:
Exactly what 2005+ safety standard does the chassis not meet?
Any hard data or facts or from sources expert in this regard?
I want to know how you came up with this notion that the chassis, the unit structure, does not meet 2005+ safety standards and you come here saying so.
son-150x150.jpg
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Yes I don't know what exactly is wrong with the chassis that didn't allow it to pass. I'm simply passing on what I have heard. To be quite honest I got it from the Fifth Gears NSX tribute. I'll post the video. Seen years ago but that's basically why I stated what I stated. Whether you like it or not I didn't just talk for the sake of talking.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dW_Quo3HiHs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Yes I don't know what exactly is wrong with the chassis that didn't allow it to pass. I'm simply passing on what I have heard. To be quite honest I got it from the Fifth Gears NSX tribute. I'll post the video. Seen years ago but that's basically why I stated what I stated. Whether you like it or not I didn't just talk for the sake of talking.

There's the problem. Fifth Gear is a British car show.They say dumb things all the time, like they know US regulation. They think British cars are well made , state of the art. Right...

Sorry Raven for being such a wise guy b..buster.

Last edited:
Back