• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda "Is Working Very Hard" on NSX Successor, Say President

Just read this article... Thoughts!?

http://wot.motortrend.com/report-honda-working-very-hard-nsx-successor-president-71555.html

Report: Honda “Is Working Very Hard” on NSX Successor, Says President

Jake Holmes on April 25 2011 1:30 PM

Plans to resurrect the NSX supercar badge are still afoot at Honda, according to Honda president Takanobu Ito. He recently told Automotive News that the company is continuing to plug away at developing a new sports coupe that will effectively serve as a successor to the hallowed Honda/ Acura NSX.

The original NSX, with its aluminum-intensive structure and mid-mounted V-6 engine, was dropped in 2005 after a 15-year production run. At the time, Honda was said to be developing a new supercar with a V-10 engine and output in the neighborhood of 500 horsepower. Those plans were scrapped in December of 2008, although a similar vehicle (albeit with a V-8) was campaigned in the Japanese Super GT race series in 2009.

The latest rumors suggest the new NSX could well be a hybrid — and by Ito’s recent remarks, that appears to still be the plan. We previously reported on this possibility when we heard the car could use a de-tuned V-8 engine with an advanced hybrid system, the latter equipped with a conventional manual transmission and capable of driving the car on electricity alone. Ito explained that Honda’s sports cars would be paired with hybrid technology, with a new NSX serving once more as a halo car.

According to Automotive News, the next NSX is still likely to utilize a gasoline-electric hybrid driveline. Details are still sketchy, at best, but some rumors have alleged that the V-8 may not be part of the package. Some reports suggest the new NSX could potentially pair Honda’s 3.5-liter V-6 with a full hybrid system, along with the torque-vectoring SH-AWD system (frequently seen here in Acura’s product portfolio). If so, total output could come in around the 400-horsepower mark.

Regardless of what will power it, it’s clear that an NSX replacement is on track. Ito himself says Honda’s engineering staff is “working very hard on it.” Could a hybrid Honda supercar live up to the legend of the original NSX? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.

Source: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110425/OEM03/304259945/1117

Last edited:
Honda/Acura can call it anything they want, but it looks like the only similarity to the old NSX will be the name. By time they finish adding technology and saftey features, it will probably be a couple of hydraulic actuators away from driving itself. Maybe they will at least make some of the nanny features defeatable.

I'll say it again NSX stands for New Sport Car eXperimental. The name itself means it's suppose to be new and different. It's not gonna be the same type of car as the older generation NSX. People need to stop thinking the NSX is a MR sport car made by Honda and more like a experimental showcase of what Honda can do.

I'm excited to see what this new "NSX" will be.

I'll say it again NSX stands for New Sport Car eXperimental. The name itself means it's suppose to be new and different. It's not gonna be the same type of car as the older generation NSX. People need to stop thinking the NSX is a MR sport car made by Honda and more like a experimental showcase of what Honda can do.

Me too!

Meh.... they got it right the first time. Just put the old car back into production with more horsepower (3.8L anyone?). Done.

No offense, but own an actual NSX first before you start making presumptions. 15 years of production has cemented the NSX moniker to be synonymous with the mid engine layout.

I agree with the latter though, and I am excited to see what new halo car Honda has to offer. I just hope it's mid engine; more so because of body proportions and not so much because of the functional aspects. The long nose look is unattractive and severely over-done.

Meh.... they got it right the first time. Just put the old car back into production with more horsepower (3.8L anyone?). Done.

I agree with this idea. From a cost standpoint, this is the best way to get the NSX back into the stream of commerce as quickly and cheaply as possible. The NA2 was very close to being a great modern sports car, but was showing its age. To get the car to a true FMC NA3 status isn't very difficult. Honda still has the tooling, foundry and production line equipment for the aluminum chassis and suspension. Much of the other refresh items can be sourced from off the shelf components:

1. Brakes. Finally incorporate a good set of monoblock 4 piston calipers. Possibly a version of the TL or RL units. I have no doubt Nissin would hook them up.

2. Engine. The J37A4 is a great base platform. It has VTEC on intake and exhaust just like the C32B and it has FRM cylinders just like the C32B. Plus the J37 meets the most stringent emissions standards, so the NA3 could be marketed as a ULEV or PZEV "green" car in line with Honda's current marketing direction. All that would need to be done is to lighten the valvetrain and rotating assembly for 8000 rpm operation. I don't know if Ti conrods are even necessary anymore, given the advances in lightweight forged steel metallurgy. Higher rpm would also mean head port work and probably a bigger throttle body, but given the NSX's low production numbers, I'm sure Honda could do this work on the line in the same way they used to do for the Integra Type R heads. I bet Honda could get 350-375 hp out of the engine while still maintaining emissions and factory reliability. They could call it the J37B.

3. Body. The cool thing about the NSX is that most of the body panels can be easily changed out. In fact, the HSC while looking radically different simply used a NSX chassis base with different body panels. I think the HSC lines (especially the front) are the way to go, especially since they are already developed. I would change the rear to incorporate the NSX's integrated spoiler design, which is an iconic part of the marque- when you see that rear tail/spoiler shape you think "NSX".

4. Interior. As we all know, the interior layout is superb, but the technology needs updating. The gauge cluster should be fully LED like modern Acuras. The entire console should be refreshed with modern A/V and CCU, and the problematic speakers/amps should be upgraded with components that are more robust.

5. Drivetrain. This is easy and cheap. Just start making the E61 6-speed again. The ratios are already perfect and it would just need a revised case that would bolt to the J37. Plus the tall 6th gear keeps the mpg up.

Honda could have this NA3 back on the market within 12 months and it could be sold alongside the upcoming hybrid GT car as a "pure sports" option that still gets close to 30 mpg highway. Chalk up the 2006-2011 gap to the recession and the tsunami. Chevy did it with the Camaro and look how it is selling- they are everywhere!

While I think this idea would be fantastic and secretly hope it gets done I think you are speaking like a true NSX owner.

From a marketing perspective, if word got out (and it will) that the 2012 "NSX" is based on 21 yo chassis tech then I think that spells death for any sort of lofty sales projections a new halo/supercar should bring. I'm just pondering what sort of reaction the car community would have if the LFA was based on the MKIV Supra. I do agree that purely from a cost perspective it's the cheapest way for Honda to get back into the grove of things.

EDIT: I realized you meant for this to fall along side the next new Halo Honda car. A la Camaro to Corvette. eh.. it might work!

I think there is a better chance of being financially feasible if say a boutique tuner like Mugen produce the "NA3". The ACR Viper comes to mind.
I agree with this idea. From a cost standpoint, this is the best way to get the NSX back into the stream of commerce as quickly and cheaply as possible. The NA2 was very close to being a great modern sports car, but was showing its age. To get the car to a true FMC NA3 status isn't very difficult. Honda still has the tooling, foundry and production line equipment for the aluminum chassis and suspension. Much of the other refresh items can be sourced from off the shelf components:

1. Brakes. Finally incorporate a good set of monoblock 4 piston calipers. Possibly a version of the TL or RL units. I have no doubt Nissin would hook them up.

2. Engine. The J37A4 is a great base platform. It has VTEC on intake and exhaust just like the C32B and it has FRM cylinders just like the C32B. Plus the J37 meets the most stringent emissions standards, so the NA3 could be marketed as a ULEV or PZEV "green" car in line with Honda's current marketing direction. All that would need to be done is to lighten the valvetrain and rotating assembly for 8000 rpm operation. I don't know if Ti conrods are even necessary anymore, given the advances in lightweight forged steel metallurgy. Higher rpm would also mean head port work and probably a bigger throttle body, but given the NSX's low production numbers, I'm sure Honda could do this work on the line in the same way they used to do for the Integra Type R heads. I bet Honda could get 350-375 hp out of the engine while still maintaining emissions and factory reliability. They could call it the J37B.

3. Body. The cool thing about the NSX is that most of the body panels can be easily changed out. In fact, the HSC while looking radically different simply used a NSX chassis base with different body panels. I think the HSC lines (especially the front) are the way to go, especially since they are already developed. I would change the rear to incorporate the NSX's integrated spoiler design, which is an iconic part of the marque- when you see that rear tail/spoiler shape you think "NSX".

4. Interior. As we all know, the interior layout is superb, but the technology needs updating. The gauge cluster should be fully LED like modern Acuras. The entire console should be refreshed with modern A/V and CCU, and the problematic speakers/amps should be upgraded with components that are more robust.

5. Drivetrain. This is easy and cheap. Just start making the E61 6-speed again. The ratios are already perfect and it would just need a revised case that would bolt to the J37. Plus the tall 6th gear keeps the mpg up.

Honda could have this NA3 back on the market within 12 months and it could be sold alongside the upcoming hybrid GT car as a "pure sports" option that still gets close to 30 mpg highway. Chalk up the 2006-2011 gap to the recession and the tsunami. Chevy did it with the Camaro and look how it is selling- they are everywhere!

No offense, but own an actual NSX first before you start making presumptions. 15 years of production has cemented the NSX moniker to be synonymous with the mid engine layout.

I agree with the latter though, and I am excited to see what new halo car Honda has to offer. I just hope it's mid engine; more so because of body proportions and not so much because of the functional aspects. The long nose look is unattractive and severely over-done.

I've been following the NSX since 1998 when I was like 12 years old. Just because I am younger, have to take care of neccessity before I can buy ones, it doesn't mean I have no input on what the car really is and what it really stands for. Plus I've already been looking for one for over a year and have test driven the car so I know what it's really about.

The NSX was MR simply because Honda was trying to out-do Ferrari which mainly produced MR layout cars. If Ferrari was known for producting FR or AWD cars I'm pretty certain the original NSX would of been FR or AWD car too. The fact is it now really depends on what they are planning to compete against. If it's Corvettes, Vipers, and GTRs, Austin Martins, LFA, etc the FR layout is what they will design. If it's Ferrari, Mclaren, etc, then we'll most likely see a MR car.

I'm merley stating people should stop bad mouthing Honda just because they want the next NSX to be MR. I personally would prefer it to be MR but if it isn't I won't hate it for that reason in itself.

Last edited:
Then don't call it an NSX. At the very beginning, NSX may stand for New Sportscar eXperiment, but it no longer is. NSX is now NSX, and everyone who knows one knows what it is.

Call this new halo car an NHX - New Hybrid eXperiment, or whatever.

I've been following the NSX since 1998 when I was like 12 years old. Just because I am younger, have to take care of neccessity before I can buy ones, it doesn't mean I have no input on what the car really is and what it really stands for. Plus I've already been looking for one for over a year and have test driven the car so I know what it's really about.

The NSX was MR simply because Honda was trying to out-do Ferrari which mainly produced MR layout cars. If Ferrari was known for producting FR or AWD cars I'm pretty certain the original NSX would of been FR or AWD car too. The fact is it now really depends on what they are planning to compete against. If it's Corvettes, Vipers, and GTRs, Austin Martins, LFA, etc the FR layout is what they will design. If it's Ferrari, Mclaren, etc, then we'll most likely see a MR car.

I'm merley stating people should stop bad mouthing Honda just because they want the next NSX to be MR. I personally would prefer it to be MR but if it isn't I won't hate it for that reason in itself.

Last edited:
uh...there's a name for it already, the HSV (Hybrid Sports Vehicle)

Honda also uses the acronym HSV for it's Super GT vehicle, the "Honda Sport Velocity".

Last edited:
Also, “Super Hybrid Sports” wouldn't be a bad either, given that the canceled V10 vehicle was referred to as the "Honda - Super Sports (Car)".

"We are now focused on the development of a new model to succeed the NSX for a new era. We would like to debut a new super sports car equipped with a V10 engine in 3 to 4 years. Please look forward to seeing the NSX successor". - Takeo Fukui (2005)

http://world.honda.com/news/2005/c050720_a.html

Super Hybrid Sports
http://www.7tune.com/new-honda-nsx-to-become-super-hybrid-sports/

An NA3 NSX with HSC front end is the best damn idea I have ever heard in my whole life. It would be like an affordable mclaren mp4-12c competitor without the ultimate performance. Heaven

But you fail to address the real problem: they stopped production because it won't pass safety standards in the US. You can upgrade all you want, but the car MUST BE redesigned from the ground up to comply with modern standards.

But you fail to address the real problem: they stopped production because it won't pass safety standards in the US. You can upgrade all you want, but the car MUST BE redesigned from the ground up to comply with modern standards.

I have read this post over and over and am amazed every time I do.

My hat's off to you coming up with this one.

I have read this post over and over and am amazed every time I do.
Care to explain? I'm only stating the obvious.

My concern for this project is 3 fold. First, Honda has spent absolutely 0 effort chasing down modern motorsports, so why would they develop a super car? Legacy alone? Second, how much time and development have they put into light weight material manufacturing? The first company to develop high speed processing of FRCF will win a long standing war. Third, Honda has awesome insight when it comes to engine manufacturing and productiin, but they have put little to no effort into forced induction. Again, the 1st manufacturer to rapidly develop a hybrid drive system in conjunction with variable output turbocharging on a mass level (cross platform with global availability) will win the "new frontier" war. Porsche is too niche, but BMW is really close of achieving this one.

I just don't see Honda competing for these goals. Maybe they have higher aspirations that I simply don't know of, but in my eyes they are lagging the competition in almost EVERY aspect except safety and reliability. But therd is one area that us enthusiasts choose to ignore that Honda is doing very well at: profitability. Probably because thwy don't do all the things that I think they ought to.

You ask me to explain? Read your own post.

But you fail to address the real problem: they stopped production because it won't pass safety standards in the US.

When was that ever a issue?
When did the U.S. tell Honda that the NSX would not pass safety standards and in response Honda stopped production?

Then you state this?

, but in my eyes they are lagging the competition in almost EVERY aspect except safety and reliability.

Did you mean something else in the first quote? Were you thinking one thing and typed another because they directly contradict one and other.

Last edited:
You ask me to explain? Read your own post.

When was that ever a issue?
When did the U.S. tell Honda that the NSX would not pass safety standards and in response Honda stopped production?

Then you state this?

Did you mean something else in the first quote? Were you thinking one thing and typed another because they directly contradict one and other.

I believe he means Honda's "newer" cars are very safe and reliable but the all NSXs are all based on late 80s technology, so it's chassis no longer meets 2005+ safety standards.

Last edited:
I believe he means Honda's "newer" cars are very safe and reliable but the all NSXs are all based on late 80s technology, so it's chassis no longer meets 2005+ safety standards.

That statement is just as absurd. The NSX's reliability is still unmatched compared to today's standards considering there are 20 years of driving for many NSXs to prove it. The only improvement was the use of a timing chain across most manufacturers now.

The safety issue and technology IMO is overrated.

Since you believe to know what he means and since you infer that the chassis does not meet 2005+ safety standards please tell me what 2006 US Govt. safety standard the chassis did not meet.

Until this thread, nowhere in any release from Honda, or any U.S. governmental agency have I ever seen, read or heard of this "failure to meet safety standards" as the reason why the NSX production was discontinued after 2005.

Good grief Charlie Brown.:biggrin:

Let me clarify-

Side curtain airbags were required in 2006. The architecture used to produce the NSX would have required exponential amounts of rework in order to comply with the new airbag requirements laid out by the USA. To the point that Honda simply did not see the financial benefit of going through said rework. It all came down to tooling and the fact that the car was never designed with the A-pillar infrastructure capable of employing side curtain airbags.

However, TODAYS' Hondas are known for their fantastic safety ratings. One that the NSX could never live up to, regardless of the amount of work they would spend updating it. Thus why the NSX would have to be redesigned from the ground up.

Does this make more sense to you?

That statement is just as absurd. The NSX's reliability is still unmatched compared to today's standards considering there are 20 years of driving for many NSXs to prove it. The only improvement was the use of a timing chain across most manufacturers now.

The safety issue and technology IMO is overrated.

When did I ever mention reliability about the NSX? I stated that Honda newer cars are safe + reliable but the NSX "saftey" is based on off 80 tech. I never said the NSX was unreliable. Anyone who knows what the NSX is knows that it is one of the most reliable sports car out there. Obviously they have updated the safety here and there with passenger air bags but as juice stated they simply couldn't update it anymore to meet regulations.

Last edited:
www.acuranews.com: 07/11/2005 - TORRANCE said:
Acura also announced that production of the current generation NSX will cease at the end of the year due to the extensive retooling necessary to meet stringent 2006 emissions and equipment regulations for the U.S., Europe and Asia.

The same release announced the development of "a new sports car to succeed the award-winning NSX supercar." so...whatever. :wink:

Back