• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda still has it! Civic Type R sedan

civic looks as good as it can, but me likey old sedan

white4drtypeR_jaimaica_bit_trim.jpg

Wow check out the specs! 17" front rotors!!!!!!

Key Features of the Civic Type R

< Exterior Design >

• The exterior employs a pure sports one-motion form design with aerodynamically advanced surface treatment and sharp edges. Newly developed aerodynamic devices include a large air intake in the front bumper and grille, a rear bumper with built-in rear diffuser, a high-mount rear spoiler, and extended side sill garnishes, giving the car an aggressive overall appearance.
• Specifically designed engine hood and front fenders.
• Specially designed shiny black chromed front grille bar, headlight sub-reflector and Civic emblem design.
• Type R red Honda emblem front and rear.

< Interior Design >

• The overall black color scheme gives the interior cockpit a racing car-like appearance, bringing the driver closer at one with the car.
• The front bucket seats are specially designed for Type R. Separate center/side construction with high side bolsters and optimized cushion rates help hold the body in place, helping the driver concentrate on driving.
• The multiplex i-VTEC engine revolution indicator alerts the driver that engine speed is approaching maximum allowed revolutions. Self-illuminated, lit with red-colored flashing lights and is strategically located for minimum eye movement in circuit and other high speed driving conditions.
• Other performance-oriented features include a small-diameter, genuine leather oval steering wheel, an aluminum ball-type shift knob, a short stroke sports shift linkage, metal sports-type pedals and footrest, and a separate, button-type engine starter.

< Engine >

• A higher compression ratio and improved breathing efficiency help the naturally-aspirated K20A 2.0-liter i-VTEC engine output a maximum of 165kW (225PS) at 8,000 rpm and a maximum torque of 215Nm (21.9kgm) at 6,100 rpm.
• NSX production methods contribute to smoother port surfacing, improving intake/exhaust airflow.
• Drive-By-Wire (DBW) provides for finer tuning of throttle response and power output.
• Optimum tuning of intake and exhaust manifolds provides for high output at high engine speed while also improving torque characteristics over a broad engine speed range.

< Transmission >

• A close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission is matched to the Type R engine.
• Optimized gear ratios offer superior accelerations at high speeds, providing exhilarating performance.
• New features include a highly rigid aluminum transmission case while the addition of a baffle plate helps mitigate oil starvation at high cornering speeds.
• A short stroke shift linkage contributes to a sporty shifting feel.

< Highly Rigid Yet Lightweight Body/Chassis >

• The highly rigid Civic body and its advanced layout serves as the basis for an even more highly rigid, yet lightweight Type R body. Measures to enhance body rigidity while reducing weight have translated into a body that is 50% more rigid than in the Integra Type R production model sold between 2001 and 2006.
• Specially tuned suspension, high performance 18-inch tires, a torque-sensitive helical limited slip differential, large disc brakes for improved fade resistance and other performance-enhancing features contribute to higher cornering performance and stability for an exciting, racecar-like driving experience.
• The specially tuned suspension boasts revised spring and damping rates, and thicker stabilizer bars for improved vehicle stability.
• 225/40R18-sized high-performance Bridgestone Potenza RE070 tires.
• 17-inch disk brake with Brembo 4-pot aluminum front calipers.
• Specially-tuned ABS/EBD system.
• Special lightweight 18-inch aluminum wheels are matched to black wheel nuts.

Wow, pretty impressive! It's a little 'boy-racer' for my taste, but pretty classy in itself. Wonder why it's only in Japan? I think it would go over pretty well in the states... :confused:

03.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry but its nothing special in my book. It would look better if it was a slick coupe.

Wow, pretty impressive! It's a little 'boy-racer' for my taste, but pretty classy in itself. Wonder why it's only in Japan? I think it would go over pretty well in the states... :confused:

Maybe IS250/350, G35, TL, TSX are all about in the same ball park (price wise0 by the time CTR comes to US at around low 30's. Too much competition and too low of expected sales volume. It mainly appeals to 18-35 yr. olds. Most 35 or older crowd will not want to be seen in such Boy Racer vehicle. It does look good!

17" rotors looks very curious to me. The largest rotors Ive heard of on a street car are 15.4" in diameter on the SL65 AMG, under 19" wheels.

2005_MercedesBenz_SL65_AMG_exwheel.jpg

Those look like a fairly tight squeeze.

I don't see how rotors 1.6" larger could fit under wheels 1" smaller than the Mercedes, but I could very well be wrong.

In Japan, it's common to indicate rotor size by the smallest wheel that will fit over them. So 17" rotors mean that you need a minimum of 17" wheels.

Those stupid front triangle windows make me feel like I'm driving a mini-van. I sat in a Civic SI sedan and was not impressed with the interior glass...the car just felt too big.
Hence I bought a Cooper S.
I wish they'd bring the hatch here....(the new model one)

60.jpg

The prototype was doing Tsukuba in 1:07 range supposedly which is faster than stock NA1. wow. There's a youtube vid of it somewhere.

I thought I'd like that style headlight more then the ones offered in the U.S. But when I saw them in person, I liked the US styled headlights better. However the asian market taillights look better then the U.S. ones do.

I sat in a Civic SI sedan and was not impressed with the interior glass...the car just felt too big.

A Civic that feels too big? That must be some magical glass.

A Civic that feels too big? That must be some magical glass.

Go sit in one...feels 5x bigger than the NSX...I can't explain it. I didn't try the coupe, but the sedan felt huge to me.

It might be because the windsheild is so raked and the dash is about a mile deep.

Go sit in one...feels 5x bigger than the NSX...I can't explain it. I didn't try the coupe, but the sedan felt huge to me.

It might be because the windsheild is so raked and the dash is about a mile deep.

I will take your advice and check it out, to be honest I think the new Civic is very attractive, and even like the double instrument clusters.

I'd buy one esp. since we've got another kiddo on the way. Too bad, Honda isn't bringing it over.

EVO MR here I come!

Too bad, Eric, you should have come over to your "Local" dealership. I'll take you out for a test drive on the 2 dr. si. FYI, the coupe doesn't have the mini van's triangle window.

I agree with you that the car feels huge. I actually had to get out of the car twice to check the clearance between cars when I navigate around my tight dealer lot. Mainly, the car grew bigger, yet, the steep windshield + the long dash board messing up your mind.

I test drove all the civics but surprisingly I hate the Si by far. Mainly the weird feeling (sluggish throttle response) of the gas pedal. The vagueness of the 6 speed shifter.

In case you guys didn't know, the JDM civic face do available in North America's market, however, it's in Canada. Under Acura brand, an EL.
While the civic doesn't look bad (if not handsome), the EL is 10x better looking.

Back