• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Hondajet

HondaJet with Honda Engines
By Robert Goyer
March 2004

BIZJET IN DEVELOPMENT

While much of the aviation world these past few years has been focusing on a couple of high profile start-up companies looking to certify and produce light business jets, one of the richest companies in the world has been busy behind the scenes doing the exact same thing. It has not been a particularly well-kept secret, but late last year Honda finally made the news public: it’s developing a light jet and the turbofan engines to power it.

While Honda-built jets have been under development since 1986 (flying with engines from other manufacturers) and the company has been developing a turbofan since 1999, the flight in December was the first time the company’s airplane and engines have gotten together to go flying.

The light six-place jet, called for now the “HondaJet,” is slightly smaller than a Cessna CJ1 and, based on Honda’s projections, faster, too—420 knots at cruise. Maximum range is around 1,100 nm. The Honda features a unified composite structure and single-piece aluminum wing skins. The engines are mounted on pylons on the wing, which eliminates structure in the fuselage and allows more interior cabin space, up to 30 percent more, claims Honda.

The HF118 engine is a medium-bypass turbofan putting out 1,670 pounds of thrust at takeoff. Honda developed the engine’s compact FADEC system, which it says is the first of its kind for a small turbofan. The engine has logged more than 100 hours of flight testing on other manufacturers’ aircraft. Honda claims the engine, mated with its airframe, will improve fuel efficiency by better than 40 percent.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about the HondaJet is that the company has been working on the project for more than 15 years and has yet to announce whether it will ever certify or produce an airplane as a result. It does say, however, that it plans to continue the flight test program.
3242004145339.jpg

yup, their jet has been (pardon the bad pun) floating around for some time now. thx for the link to the video, i'll check it out later.
hal

awsome video.. i read about this jet in a few magazines ie. robb report, dupont reg. the only thing they didnt show was the interior. MAN i love this jet. they really need to produce this!..i have been in a few biz jets citation, gulfstream, hawker. its an awsome feeling being in such a powerful machine. i would love to ride in the citationX so if anyone wants to give a test flight please let me know.. :biggrin: :biggrin:

if you can post any pix of the interior that would be great

Legroom

Attachments

• flightdeck.gif
    flightdeck.gif
    91.9 KB · Views: 149
No cabin pics.

16/02/2004 - Honda and General Electric form alliance in jet market
Honda and General Electric have announced the formation of a strategic alliance to produce a new jet engine for light business jets.

The basic agreement was signed today at Honda Motor headquarters in Tokyo, Japan, by Takeo Fukui, President and CEO of Honda Motor, and David Calhoun, President and CEO of GE Transportation, a business unit of GE, which is headquartered in Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.

Today’s agreement establishes the framework under which Honda and GE will further develop and certify Honda’s new HF118 turbofan jet engine. Honda started its jet engine and aircraft projects in 1986, and has been developing the lightweight HF118 engine, in the 1,000 to 3,500-pound thrust class, since 1999.

The HF118 has run more than 1,400 hours, including ground tests and more than 200 hours in flight tests on an existing flying test aircraft. In addition, two HF118 engines have powered Honda’s new experimental compact business jet, the HondaJet, in flight tests that began in December 2003.

The Honda/GE basic agreement includes: joint certification of the HF118, joint marketing activities under both companies’ joint brand with airframe manufacturers, and continued discussions on the business structure under which the two companies will mass produce the engine. Honda and GE have been in discussions for more than a year, and expect to sign a formal definitive agreement later this year.

"We have great respect for the technology, design and performance built into Honda’s HF118 engine," said GE’s Calhoun. "There are tremendous benefits to Honda and GE entering the business jet engine market together. Honda is the world’s leading producer of engines for motorcycles, automobiles and power products with superb technology. We are delighted to form a strategic alliance."

"This is a great step forward for Honda to enter the aviation business, which has been a dream of the company since its creation," said Honda’s Fukui. "We aim to commercialize our compact jet engine business by merging mutual strengths: Honda’s HF118 turbofan engine technology, and GE’s technology, sales, and support through a spirit of equal partnership. We are confident in forming an alliance with GE, which is the leading manufacturer in the jet engine industry."

The emergence of smaller, relatively inexpensive business jets, which seat from four to eight passengers, creates the potential for considerable engine sales for future business and personal travel. Honda and GE envision an annual market in the future for approximately 200 or more of these business jets. Small business jet applications include owner operators and fractional owners, as well as potential "air taxi" operations. The "air taxi" business involves micro jets flying passengers on short stops using the vast number of small airports not serviced by major airliners.

Jet engine technology is also driving market change. In the 1990s, GE took its jet engine designs for large airliners to regional jet passenger aircraft, a market previously dominated by propeller-driven, turboprop aircraft. Now, Honda and GE will bring their expertise to a new generation of smaller, lightweight, low cost, and highly efficient turbofan jet engines with the lowest operating costs.

Honda (NYSE: HMC) is one of today’s leading manufacturers of automobiles and power products and the largest manufacture of motorcycles in the world. Honda has always sought to provide genuine satisfaction to people worldwide. The result is more than 120 manufacturing facilities in 30 countries worldwide, producing a wide range of products, including motorcycles, ATVs, generators, marine engines, lawn and garden equipment and automobiles that bring the company into contact with over 17 million customers annually.

GE (NYSE: GE) is a diversified technology and services company dedicated to creating products that make life better, from aircraft engines and power generation to financial services, medical imaging, television programming and plastics. GE operates in more than 100 countries and employs more than 315,000 people worldwide.

The company traces its beginnings to Thomas A. Edison, who established Edison Electric Light Company in 1878. In 1892, a merger of Edison General Electric Company and Thomson-Houston Electric Company created General Electric Company. GE is the only company listed in the Dow Jones Industrial Index today that was also included in the original index in 1896.

source:

http://www.honda.co.uk/news/motorcycles/20040216.html

Attachments

• pilot.gif
    pilot.gif
    10 KB · Views: 119
Awsome read! I been a huge fan of honda since my first dirtbike in 80's i rode nothing but honda. Now to have a jet i am all ears. So when the say low cost any idea of a price range? I have been looking into fractional ownership for about 6 mths. Hate waiting in the airport! or for that matter sleeping lol :biggrin:

Hondajet (AcuraJet?)

The HondaJet is about to hit the market.

c060725_2.jpg

This, to me, brings up the ideas some of us have about rebadging the car. The reasoning behind the whole Honda/Acura badging has presumably been that North Americans are not willing to pay a lot of money for something by Honda, a manufacturer of economy cars, minibikes, and lawnmowers. Many of us here, of course, know that the NSX is simply a great car and we'd be no less proud to drive it with Honda badges. Now that there's a $3,000,000 Honda business jet on the market the whole Acura ploy seems even sillier to me. Honda should bring the next generation NSX to the US under the Honda name and make it a world beater. That should put an end to the schizophrenia once and for all.

Re: Hondajet (AcuraJet?)

Skylark said:
The HondaJet is about to hit the market.

c060725_2.jpg

<snip>
just yesterday, a group of friends and i were having a discussion about getting in line for one of these... i'd buy it because it's a honda.

I'm not necessarily a raging "buy American" type, but these are being developed and built right across the flight line from me here in Albuquerque:

17_Main1.jpg

http://www.eclipseaviation.com/

At only $1.5 million, the Eclipse 500 is half the price of the Honda. They're FAA certified, and are going into production as we speak.

Viper Driver said:
I'm not necessarily a raging "buy American" type, but these are being developed and built right across the flight line from me here in Albuquerque:

17_Main1.jpg

At only $1.5 million, the Eclipse 500 is half the price of the Honda. They're FAA certified, and are going into production as we speak.
yup, that was a topic of discussion, too... 1/2 price works for me and we could paint it honda colors ;)

Viper Driver said:

17_Main1.jpg

There also
Adam Air
A7-AA_025-250.jpg

I don't like the looks of their aircraft.
The honda looks great.
What is the range of this jet?
around 1000NM or more?

Attachments

• 001_jet- copy.jpg
    001_jet- copy.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 002_jet- copy.jpg
    002_jet- copy.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 60
  • 003_jet- copy.jpg
    003_jet- copy.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 004_jet- copy.jpg
    004_jet- copy.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 65

Attachments

• 005_jet- copy.jpg
    005_jet- copy.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 006_jet- copy.jpg
    006_jet- copy.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 007_jet- copy.jpg
    007_jet- copy.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 008_jet- copy.jpg
    008_jet- copy.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 48

Attachments

• 009_jet- copy.jpg
    009_jet- copy.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 010_jet- copy.jpg
    010_jet- copy.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 011_jet- copy.jpg
    011_jet- copy.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 012_jet- copy.jpg
    012_jet- copy.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 52
I remember when this first was announced about a year ago that honda was working on the HOndaJet. It was estimated to be around $1 million, but now they've added upgraded avionics equipment and estimate the price to be around $3 million. I have been folllowing the HondaJet very closely, and may be in line to purchase one. Well I've got 3 years to save up the other 2 million. When I get it, I'll be offering VIP flight services to NSXPO ever year. The Eclipse seems to be a great contender, I know of someone in Ft Lauderdale that has a deposit on a fleet of them for a develop air taxi service. Aviation is changing...

Back