• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hong Kong owners question

kye

Contributing Member
Hi,
I just found out that maybe my company will ask me to go to HK instead of Japan (From US) .. my question is can a left hand drive NSX be imported to HK or left hand drive cars only can be registered?

//Kye

In short... No. You'd only be able to drive it on a dealer plate which doesn't make much sense. Those cost around 40k HKD if you can get your hands on one and it's border line legal.

Keep in mind if you live in HK side, expect to pay 250-500 USD per month on parking, covered, but not a garage (like what you're used to in the states, resembles public car park). Insurance is much cheaper though, but paid one time per year in full, may be 1000usd if you can get a good record note from your current insurance agent. Registration expensive, for a 3.0 it's around 1100usd per year. gas is around 7usd per gallon. remember to get your international license from AAA before you leave.

I'd say if the move was temporary, store your car in bay area, then buy something you can't get stateside here like a GTR or something.

Hi Kye,
Steve here, aka your bad CTSC influence.:biggrin:
Being a HeungGongChai (Hong Kong boy), I have seen exceedingly more keyjobs in HK. Sometimes I wonder if it is a way to maintain the body shops' businesses. If I ever move back in HK, I probably would not have a car there. Public transportations in HK is probably the best in the world.
Steve

Hi Kye,
Steve here, aka your bad CTSC influence.:biggrin:
Being a HeungGongChai (Hong Kong boy), I have seen exceedingly more keyjobs in HK. Sometimes I wonder if it is a way to maintain the body shops' businesses. If I ever move back in HK, I probably would not have a car there. Public transportations in HK is probably the best in the world.
Steve

that is my exact theory! cars in HK dont do many miles. but they break down so quickly. A car with 30,000 miles is ranked to be a real high mileage car. That's because most of the mechanics are mickey mouses and cars (real nice cars) end up falling apart before they should. Another reason why the 2nd market prices are so low relative to world, low demand (also a result of HK mentality of always needing the new model).

That's what you say now. But if it's in your blood, you'll get one. there are places to drive, so you'll end up doing just that. Driving for pure fun and not transport.

Back