• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Horn Issues

Hello,

I've been rebuilding a salvaged '03 for three years now. Almost done with everything working except the horn.

Fuse is good. I can hear/feel the circuit breakers respond when the horn buttons on the steering wheel are depressed.

There are two potential connectors to attach to the horns. One connector measures 5V, the other measures 10V. The voltage does not change on either of these connectors when the horn is pressed.

1. Which connector is for the horn, 5v or 10V.

2. Any recommendations to correct this. Gotta have a horn.

Thanks and Regards, Paul

:eek: that sounds really weird?
Your horn connectors should be 0V until the horn button is depressed, then it should be at least 12V. Sound like something is shorted.:confused:

^ +1

Based on the '95/'95 ETM (Acura Electrical Troubleshooting manual), one side of the horns connects to ground, the other side to the output of the horn relay. If you are reading 5V on the one lead, you probably have a bad ground.

As to the 10V, I don't know how accurate your meter is, but what does the battery voltage read?

As 03 raw nsx noted, the 12V from the relay should be present only when the horn button is pressed. If its truly 10V and/or on all the time, you could have a bad horn relay (in the under-hood relay box) or a short in the wiring. The under hood relay box is mounted on the firewall to the right of the fuse box as viewed from the front bumper looking at the firewall. Its the 2nd from the left relay in the rear row of relays. The left-most relay slot in that row is blank.

The relay contacts:
1 & 2 +12 V, always on
3 output to horns ( 0V normal, +12V when horn button is pressed)
4 horn button input (12V normal, 0V when horn button is pressed)

If the voltage on pin 4 does not drop to zero when the horn button is pressed, you have bad wiring to the horn button. You can safely ground pin 4 for a few seconds and the horn should blow.

PM me if you want me to send you some jpegs of the horn wiring and the relay box.

Last edited:
Im having horn/SRS/Cruise control issues, I took the Cable Reel from another Honda same connectors just shorter in length, and tested them, the SRS light went away, and the horns Honked. I am ordering a new Cable reel Monday.
but what I am getting at is have you taken the Steering wheel out before, cuz I have learned that if you even slightly pull the SRS Reel in the wrong direction they break/ lose connection.

my 2 cents

Back