• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How and when did you 1st knew of the NSX?

sadly, on the original Gran Turismo. But back then I was only 8 years old. . . so not really into cars xD

It's been an evolution. I grew up loving horsepower. By the time I was 25, I had a '68 Cuda that was set up for street racing. Fast, but don't try to turn it. Or brake.
I kept up with new cars, and when I read the '91 magazines, the NSX didn't impress me at all: overpriced and underpowered. I held this opinion until 2006, when my wife bought an '04 Miata. I finally figured out that a great handling car could be fun, even without lots of power. Suddenly my 280hp Solara was annoying because it didn't turn well.
Then I saw this article:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/most-fun-for-25000

I was hooked, and starting shopping around. Bought my '93 in 2010.

It's been an evolution. I grew up loving horsepower. By the time I was 25, I had a '68 Cuda that was set up for street racing. Fast, but don't try to turn it. Or brake.
I kept up with new cars, and when I read the '91 magazines, the NSX didn't impress me at all: overpriced and underpowered. I held this opinion until 2006, when my wife bought an '04 Miata. I finally figured out that a great handling car could be fun, even without lots of power. Suddenly my 280hp Solara was annoying because it didn't turn well.
Then I saw this article:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/most-fun-for-25000

I was hooked, and starting shopping around. Bought my '93 in 2010.

Ah yes, Ken has been forever immortalized as an NSX owner by the press, including in this article:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/most-fun-for-25000-199194-acura-nsx-page-3

I'm glad he's still around, but I was sad when he sold his NSX. And it ain't no $25k NSX! :biggrin:

The first time I heard of or saw an NSX was in 1992 when my dad showed me his awesome red/black. He bought it when he was 67 years-old! At the time, I had a five year-old daughter and four year-old son, and never even considered ever owning an NSX.

Dad_NSX5_13_93.jpg

^In 1993, my dad in his NSX at my Acton, CA house.

DAD_NSX3_13_93.jpg

^My dad in his NSX, 1993.

Dad_MJ_NSX5_13_93.jpg

^Dad and his wife, 1995. Dad was 70 years-old here and had owned his NSX for 3 years.

DSCN4800Dad2_8_06.jpg

^My dad in his Assisted Living room, as Alzheimer's took hold in 2006. He died in Sept. 2007.

Fast forward 17 years and I realized I still loved the NSX and could actually afford one. I was in the market for my third S2000 but decided to get an NSX instead.

IMG_3834Newheadlightfilm-1.jpg

^My NSX that I bought in March 2009. Too bad my dad didn't live to see it.

8 years old. I was sitting and waiting to get my hair cut and opened a car and driver magazine and there she was. All I remember thinking is "I WANT THAT!"

I grew up in Garland TX, and I believe it was '92 maybe '93. The creator of Doom from I.D. Software lived In the area and had a blk/blk with the personalized plate "I NUKEM". We were in HS at the time and my entire group lusted over that car. From that moment, it was over for me."..the NSX was king.

First info, Car and Driver - preview article in 1990 I think.

First spotted at Jacksonville, FL Acura dealer one Saturday morning.

Don't remember when I first saw the nsx cuz I knew I couldn't afford it at the time anyway, but when I saw the article on R&T or CD magazine on a full comptech NSX, my thought was I wanted this car. One of the quote in the article said something like, if u have to ask about the price for the CT upgrade, u can't afford it. You hear this quote quite often these days for expensive stuffs. All I could afford at the time was a $2k car, so the comptech nsx was just a pipe dream. Some umpteen years later, the pipe dream became reality as my current car is a full CT car. I guess dreams do come true, once in a while.

Anybody still have that magazine with that article? If yes, please scan and post if u can or sell me the magazine.

Was about 25 yrs old back in early 90's and went in to my local Acura dealership to buy an oil filter to do an oil change on an Integra...I walked in to the showroom, and saw a NSX, roped off about a 3 foot perimeter around it ...my jaw dropped as I never heard of it, or saw one prior, and I vowed that someday I would have one....I did get a poster that day from the dealer...which I still have to this day.

About 20 yrs later when my two kids left home, I got serious about looking, and it took a couple years to find the one I eventually have today, this is now my 3rd summer with it....only problem, can't find enough time to drive it....

The first impressions I got from it back then were how low it was, how wide it seemed, the beautiful pleated leather seats and door panels, and the best looking ass-end of any car I ever saw....(still is IMO)

Last edited:
the best looking ass-end of any car I ever saw....(still is IMO)

Hear hear. Seems no one cares about making the back of cars look nice, it's like an afterthought...

The first time I heard of or saw an NSX was in 1992 when my dad showed me his awesome red/black. He bought it when he was 67 years-old! At the time, I had a five year-old daughter and four year-old son, and never even considered ever owning an NSX.

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac115/PattyKlein/Family/Dad_NSX5_13_93.jpg
^In 1993, my dad in his NSX at my Acton, CA house.

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac115/PattyKlein/Family/DAD_NSX3_13_93.jpg
^My dad in his NSX, 1993.

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac115/PattyKlein/Family/Dad_MJ_NSX5_13_93.jpg
^Dad and his wife, 1995. Dad was 70 years-old here and had owned his NSX for 3 years.

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac115/PattyKlein/Family/DSCN4800Dad2_8_06.jpg
^My dad in his Assisted Living room, as Alzheimer's took hold in 2006. He died in Sept. 2007.

Fast forward 17 years and I realized I still loved the NSX and could actually afford one. I was in the market for my third S2000 but decided to get an NSX instead.

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac115/PattyKlein/NSX/URL_3834Newheadlightfilm-1.jpg

Patty, your post was very touching, thanks for sharing. :) To be a new NSX owner at age 67! :eek:
icon14.gif
I'm sure your dad would be extremely proud of you now, and his NSX looks just like my 91 did (and my 93 does). :cool:

Patty, your post was very touching, thanks for sharing. :) To be a new NSX owner at age 67! :eek:
icon14.gif
I'm sure your dad would be extremely proud of you now, and his NSX looks just like my 91 did (and my 93 does). :cool:
^I'm glad you liked it Kelvin. My dad had a go-kart when I was a baby and used to race them for fun. Then he had a 1959 (?) black Corvette with white on the sides, and red seats, that I remember riding in with him when I was very small. I thought about my post saying "too bad my dad didn't live to see" my NSX, but then, I realized, that I believe he knows all about it where he is now. Here's a scan of me in his go-kart:

Patricia1958.jpg

^No wonder I like cars. :tongue:

Did his license plate say: My other vehicle is an F-86 Saber?
Super cool!
^:biggrin: I do think his memories of F-86s were some of his best. I was just searching on ebay to find the right year truck but didn't quite find it. He had a Ford Ranchero GT around 1973, that he said he liked because the grill reminded him of an F-86.

I was either 5 or 6 years old when I first noticed it, so that would be either 1992 or 1993. I was taking acting classes at the Lisa Malie talent/modeling agency in Winter Park, FL (right next to Orlando). I remember going into the building and seeing Lisa's black NSX parked at the side of the building. For several years, everytime that we'd drive by the office I'd always look out the window to see if it was there.

Need For Speed and Gran Turismo cemented it into my life though. I remember playing the demo of Gran Turismo and one of the playable cars was the NSX. I ended up getting the game of course, and played it like crazy. I had Need For Speed on the PC as well, but I think I prefered the Testarossa over any of the others.

Last edited:
I honestly can't remember when the "I've got to have it!" urge struck me but I recall being aware of them shortly after they came on the market. When I got a bit older and met with a financial planner for the first time, he asked me about my long term goals and, among other things, I said that I wanted a NSX. 10 years later, and no thanks to his embezzling @ss, I made it happen :biggrin:

I was 10 (1993), and remember going to the San Francisco car show with my Dad and grandfather. We were a Toyota family so I thought those were the best and always wanted a Supra. But I remember walking over to the Honda/Acura section and seeing the NSX. I fell in love with the lines of the car and, like many of you, vowed I'd own one someday. I think it was in 2003, I was home for some school holiday and went to another SF car show with my Dad, grandfather and brother and saw a LBBP on the stage area of the show room floor. I remember telling my grandfather (one of the few family members that understood and supported my love of cars) that this was my "dream car." I even have a picture of him looking at the NSX. He told me after we moved onto other areas of the show, "You have expensive taste...but it's a very nice car."

Right before I graduated college, my grandfather passed away. I started looking on and off about 5 years for a NSX. In Sept 2010, my childhood dream came true when I found my '02 Silverstone. I ended up using some of the inheritance money my grandfather left me to purchase the NSX. So even though he never saw mine, I knew he would approve. :biggrin:

First info, Car and Driver - preview article in 1990 I think.

Me too, I was 19 at the time. It was in all the car magazines in 1990.

One of them had an article of a guy who had just bought one and was driving it back home (cross country). He liked it so much, he stopped at an Acura dealer during his trip back and bought a second one for his wife.

I always remembered that.

[My dad in his Assisted Living room, as Alzheimer's took hold in 2006. He died in Sept. 2007.

Nice story and I bet your dad DOES know. :wink:

Kyras that was a touching post and I'm sorry for your loss. :( If I had a similar story as yours I would try to locate and purchase my father's old NSX. The sentimental value alone would be worth it for me.

I first learned of the NSX from a videogame as well. I was only about 10 when I first learned of the car from a video game called "Tokyo Xtreme Racer" for my dreamcast. It was cool for me but not something I really cared about. I actually really wanted a Lancer Evolution V at first, but after reading into all the cars of the game I fell in love with the NSX after that. 14 years later I was able to buy one.

Last edited:
I remember when I was 11, my friend who was Japanese her dad had to have one and one day he got one!

Picked her up from school in it the I was just awed. Later we lost touch after high school but found each other on facebook...I told her I would always get one and cool thing is she remembered.

Back