• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How are Old/Used nsx's (91's)

Hey, i'm lookin to get a used 91 nsx, and i dont know how safe this is, i say i rather get a 91 with 40k miles than a 93 with 60k, and dont worry i can find one with 40. i'm just worried aobut how reliable this car is.. any suggestions or information? any site i can go to to read about the differences between the nsx of each year?
thanks a lot

A moderate-mileage NSX should be very reliable. However, in the unlikely event it needs a repair, it may be expensive. For example, clutches last anywhere from 30K to 90K miles, and cost $2K to replace. Air conditioning repairs can also run several thousand dollars.

The NSX is has earned a reputation as the most reliable high performance sports car ever, but it also ranks as extremely reliable by any standard for any automobile. However, you should still be prepared for routine service and occasional repairs that are inevitable with any car as it ages. In the case of the NSX, those are much more expensive than for something like a Civic. If $2-3K for a major service (like timing belt etc.) or 5-6k miles per $600 set of tires scares you, then you aren't financially ready for an NSX. If you are young, have you checked insurance rates? That alone could scare you off.

yes i am aware of all of this i just do not want the main problems such as the transmission ring whatever to occur. Yes i am young, i am currently in college paying for half my tuition and i do have enough to pay the nsx payments, insurence i do believe is going to cost an arm and a leg, but i hope to do well with that being the secondary driver under my mothers name. =) any other suggestions you may have? is it better to get a 93, than to get a 91 and have to fix all the problems?

but i hope to do well with that being the secondary driver under my mothers name.

That's not a good idea. Aside from the fact that it is illegal (it's called "fraud"), and aside from the fact that it's wrong, it also lays the groundwork for a denial of a claim by your insurance company in the event that you get into an accident.

is it better to get a 93, than to get a 91 and have to fix all the problems?

It depends upon the condition of the two cars, and the price. The snap ring problem does not affect 90 percent of the '91's (although you have to check the transmission number to be sure). The only significant problem that may affect the '91 and not the '93 is the window regulator problem, which is 100 percent preventable with an inexpensive repair using a part called the "Dali Racing window fix-it thingie".

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 28 January 2002).]

im still in the nsx novitiate, but would also suggest checking records for not only all routine maintenance but also the 30k major maintenances. on a 91 youd want this maintenance to have been done recently, instead of not at all or done 10 years ago. there were also several minor recalls that a well cared for car would have received.

good luck. ps, id personally wait a few years to buy the nsx. cant see owning one in college or right out of school on a first or second job. your bosses may not appreciate your ride come promotion time. just my thoughts on corporate ladders and human nature.

not to poo on anyone's opinions here...because they all have valid points and are something to take heed to...but from an emotional standpoint: If you can get it and you really want it and will drive it (read: not street race...take it to an Autocross or track event from time to time)....GET IT. Damn all the rest. You only live once and to tell you; everyday I get up and walk out to my nice shiny, leather upholstered, heated seat, turbo'd and tuned VW passat, I STILL wish I had gotten an NSX when I had the chance. I don't know what came over me...but that's another story. I would say don't worry about what others will think, and if you can get the car, enjoy it and appreciate* (Key Word) it...get it and love it.

HOWEVER, make sure it will be something that's going to be worth it for you, and don't get one for the image of it or to impress anyone but yourself. An NSX can be an enjoyable automotive experience, but at the same time if you're not prepared financially or emotionally for the pitfalls that CAN arise (however not often) you'll likely end up rueing the day.

My .02...from a guy's standpoint that is still waiting spousal approval, as well as the market to get off it's back.

------------------
Got dat ol' vee six cilnder inder?

http://www.nextestdrive.net

I don't understand your question.
confused.gif
It's not like they've grown accustomed to putting on low miles and they've got an attitude against working hard...

After searching for a '91 NSX with an automatic transmission (Don't attack me purists- I had back surgery and live in NYC so I'd prefer not shifting), I found one with as nice clean body, excellent interior and low mileage. For the price I paid, I strategically set aside approximately $3,000 for immediate repairs and upkeep. I've done little so far and thoroughly enjoy my investment. As for '91's, check carfax, check A/C, check for front end issues (especially the dreaded pivotal assembly repair), etc. Think of the NSX as an investment that more than likely for a 10-11 year old car will require some attention. Priorize repairs and cosmetics based on availablity of funds. A '91 NSX an be a friend for a longtime if it is cared for and not abused. Year and mileage are in- significant if a mature, devotee owned the car before you. This car costs more to repair, but there's not much out there like it. Do your research and good luck.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
but i hope to do well with that being the secondary driver under my mothers name.

That's not a good idea. Aside from the fact that it is illegal (it's called "fraud"), and aside from the fact that it's wrong, it also lays the groundwork for a denial of a claim by your insurance company in the event that you get into an accident.

Why is this illegal nsxtasy? Don't students do this all the time? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought if you lived at home and go to school you can be on your parents insurance until 21.

It's illegal to represent your mother as the primary driver if she is not.

If you're living with your mother - or even if you're not living with your mother - just tell the truth to your insurance agent/company. They'll advise you on whether you can get covered under one policy or two. They can also advise you on how to go about registering and insuring your car in a way that's appropriate to your circumstances, and can provide you with advice regarding any options open to you and how much each would cost.

Originally posted by nd4spd:
This might be a dumb question, but how do older low-mileage (say 91@30k miles) NSXs handle going from being pampered for 10 years, to being driven everyday?

As a data point, I picked up a '91 with 6k miles a little over a year ago, and turned it
into a daily driver. I had a few problems within the first couple months, which made me nervous, but it's been trouble free since. All managable with a little preventative care. I suggest you familiarize yourself with the FAQ on this site, which does a pretty good job of listing years affected by each potential problem area.

In particular, my items were:

• Window regulator - if the Dali Fixit Thingies haven't been installed, have them done. Soooo much cheaper than a repair.
  • Bose amps. They'll go bad after enough use, but can be repaired/replaced. I recommend Daryl Willman.
  • Trunk struts. Engine hatch glass struts might be a problem too.
  • Timing belt/water pump. The original belt looked fine when I had it replaced, but I certainly feel better having it done.

At around 30k miles, you also might want to check the clutch.

Basically, watch for things which tend to require attention with use/miles rather than time. For budgeting, the timing belt is ~$1k, clutch is ~$2k, and everything else can be done for under $1k total.

Otherwise, the NSX has been a real pleasure to own, and I have no regrets
biggrin.gif

[*] Trunk struts. Engine hatch glass struts might be a problem too.

These struts hold up the trunk lid and the engine hatch glass. The struts generally last about six years or so, and should have been replaced by now on a '91. It's easy to check; if they don't stay up, the struts need replacing. Figure just over $100 (P&L) for either repair (the engine hatch or the trunk lid).

wow, i appreitate all of the follow ups. Honestly my financial situation is set, no my parents are not buying me my own car, i am a self made, well i'm decent well off during college. the nsx i want for marketing purposes, for the company i work for, i'm basically a marketer. alright well i plan to get a 93, i dont want to bother with all the troubles of the 91 and take my chances, like you guys say it is expensive to own so i do not wish to take my chances by having to pay 5k on fixits that i can just spend on buying a newer car, i'm still not set on getting the 93 i might even bump it up. well i appreitate all the help but if anyone has any more info on the small problems from the 91's to the 95's, let me know! thanks guys

i do not wish to take my chances by having to pay 5k on fixits that i can just spend on buying a newer car

5K??? The window fix-it thingies cost $15, and it takes an hour to put them in on each side. Total cost should be around $200.

There are a lot more '91's out there than '93's. I would advise you to broaden your search and consider either one.

Originally posted by hypelite911:
alright well i plan to get a 93, i dont want to bother with all the troubles of the 91 and take my chances, like you guys say it is expensive to own so i do not wish to take my chances by having to pay 5k on fixits that i can just spend on buying a newer car, i'm still not set on getting the 93 i might even bump it up.

hypelite, I'm hoping my earlier response didn't scare you away from the '91. I was trying to list items which might not have been caught in a garage queen, simply because they don't pop up until more miles have been put on. Many of the items apply to later cars as well.

The timing belt and clutch will be something to check on for any '91-'95 car with 30k miles (belt is recommended at 90k miles/6 years; a pampered '91 may have even had this done because of the time), and that represents $3k of my list.

As Ken said, the Dali fixit can be done for under $200 (for me, closer to $100). This would affect anything between '91-'93. The bose amp problem will also affect '91-'93, possibly as far as '95. Fixing this was $600. Trunk lid and engine hatch struts are $150 for either repair, and again as Ken mentions will affect any NSX over 5-7 years old.

In terms of any system that affects the driving, I have had no problems. In that respect, I would consider the '91 equally reliable to '92-'95.

So, if you look into the timing belt and clutch history before buying, a '91 might give you $1k in issues, all resolvable within a day at the shop and may pop up in later cars as well. It's up to you to decide how much a having a newer model year is worth, but I wouldn't rule out the '91. The '91 represents something like 35% of all NSX's made and probably an even higher percentage of NSX's on the market.

Reference:

Timing Belt: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Maintenance/timing_belt.htm

Clutch: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/clutch.htm

Window: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/windows.htm

Amps: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/soundsystem.htm

Struts: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/TrunkHatchStruts.htm

[This message has been edited by pablo (edited 29 January 2002).]

[This message has been edited by pablo (edited 29 January 2002).]

wow you guys are being real helpful i appreiate it =)
what i'm getting at is that the 91 nsx just has a few things that can be fixed with a few small investments, and yea i guess there are'nt too many changes from the year to year, but i believe in 94 they had 2mm of less toe in, to reduce the tire wear, if i get a camber kit i'm sure that i can fix any model previous to 94 to help the tire wear, am i correct? also it seems that most of the nsx problems that i might encounter are from usual wear and tear (timing belts, clutch, etc.) with that in mind i think i'll just find the lower milage car, but i might stick with the 93 because it comes with a cup holder and passenger side airbag =) possibly the 94 because well yea it has the alignment readjusted, i hope all my facts are correct, i'm getting them from http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/changesbyyear.htm yup so please keep replying with all your helpful info. thanks guys

i believe in 94 they had 2mm of less toe in, to reduce the tire wear, if i get a camber kit i'm sure that i can fix any model previous to 94 to help the tire wear, am i correct?

No. See below.

with that in mind i think i'll just find the lower milage car

That makes a lot of sense. I think the lower-mileage cars tend to be a better value.

possibly the 94 because well yea it has the alignment readjusted

What you don't seem to understand is that alignment is an adjustment that can be made to any car. It doesn't need a camber kit and there are no parts that differ (in terms of the alignment) from one year to another. Acura changed the alignment recommendation in '93 and it is still recommended for all years; the revised alignment gives greater tire treadlife at the expense of handling that is slightly less crisp; it's up to you to decide whether that is a tradeoff that is worthwhile for you and to select the alignment accordingly. In either case, this is something you can do to any car, to align it the way you want to. In fact, it's probably a good idea to get an alignment on any used NSX when you buy it, so that you know it's aligned properly. (Figure roughly 1.5 hours of labor, or ~$100. And this is something you ought to have done by someone who has aligned a fair number of NSX's before, not by a tire or alignment shop.

Bottom line: the alignment should have no effect on your decision whether to buy a '91 or a '93 or '94.

thanks guys this is really good stuff. ok i did believe that you coudl change the camber on the newer models to fit the older profile, so that should'nt make a difference, i'm just looking for the best deal as in, mileage compared to price. its almost like age, the number doesn't mean anything its the experience =P anyway i believe in 93 with the passenger side airbag cupholder, and they fixed the air conditioner to be more enviorment friendly, i just dont wish to get the older air conditioner thing, i hear its expensive to fix when it goes out of order, well i'm sure the newer one is also. i think i' mleanin toward the 94's more because the wheels are prettier, i know i'm going to change them, possibly bortex rpm2 by enkei =P if i can get a 93 that is lets say 3 grand cheaper than the 94 then i'll probably get it because i can get the wheels with 3 g's and change up the alignment to increase tire life, any other good info guys? i only read off of this sites faq, changes by year and some stuff off of nsxhelp.com is there anywhere else i can research?
thanks for everything everyone

i'm just looking for the best deal as in, mileage compared to price. its almost like age, the number doesn't mean anything its the experience

I agree, mileage can be more important than age. However, condition is also very important. A pampered car with 50K miles can be a better buy than a neglected one with half the mileage.

But you're right - low mileage is worth paying a bit more for, and I would take a slightly older car with fewer miles over a slightly newer car with more miles (unless the enhancements of that model year are important to you).

anyway i believe in 93 with the passenger side airbag cupholder, and they fixed the air conditioner to be more enviorment friendly, i just dont wish to get the older air conditioner thing, i hear its expensive to fix when it goes out of order, well i'm sure the newer one is also.

There is a kit you can use to retrofit the '91-92 air conditioner to use the environmental-friendly R-134a refrigerant. The kit costs about $60, so even with labor it's under $200. Air conditioner repairs can be expensive when you have to replace the condenser or the compressor, but at least you won't have to pay for the expensive R-12 refrigerant. (If it has R-12, just keep using it; no need to install the retrofit kit unless and until a repair is needed.)

Again, this is minor stuff - shouldn't be a major consideration in deciding between a '91 and a '93.

i think i' mleanin toward the 94's more because the wheels are prettier, i know i'm going to change them, possibly bortex rpm2 by enkei

If you're going to buy aftermarket wheels anyway, then there's no need to get the '94 because of the wheels. Get the earlier car.

if i can get a 93 that is lets say 3 grand cheaper than the 94 then i'll probably get it because i can get the wheels with 3 g's

That makes sense.

If you DO happen to get the '94, keep in mind that you can always sell the '94 stock wheels when you replace them. You should be able to get at least $1500 for them, possibly as much as $2500 if they're in perfect shape and they have OEM tires with close to full tread depth on them.

any other good info guys? i only read off of this sites faq, changes by year and some stuff off of nsxhelp.com is there anywhere else i can research?

The FAQ (ALL sections) is the best reference. Doing a search on these forums can also come up with a lot of useful information.

Back